As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40k Action game: "Space Marine"

• Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The royal space fusiliers thing sounds cool, but once you start down that road you know where you end up?

steampunk01.jpg

Deicist on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I believe that we need to have more steam punk space games in general.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm aware, I was mostly being facetious.

Anyway, lucky this isn't a shooter then I guess. I can't remember the last time there was a brawler/beat em up starring a space marine. Maybe AvP in the arcades with cyborg arnie?

And it does seem like the space marine trope isn't as prevalent these days. How many space marine games did we get last year?

Turok
    Mass Effect (I guess)
    Halo 3
    UT3

I guess you could say Haze if you really wanted to stretch things, but those guys aren't in space. Quake Wars and Quake 4 were the year before that right? And this year... I can't think of any off the top of my head. Killzone 2 is coming soon.

Quake Wars is less than a year old, and it's been (being re-released) on consoles this year. Gears of War got the PC release last year? Metroid Prime 3 and Halo 2 (Vista)? Crysis is dangerously close to space-marine (in a spaceship no less, as is Lost Planet (colonies re-release this year).

This year there's stuff like Chrome 2, Dead Space, Huxley (vaporware on), Aliens: Colonial Marines, Teberium (The EA C&C shooter).

The space marine is still going strong.

Rook on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    soldiers have been around in games since gaming was invented

I don't know why some people are so bothered that some of those soldiers do their thing in space

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Teberium (The EA C&C shooter).

Isn't this game still an incredibly long time away from release?

Also Tallus that image is fantastic.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

I don't know why some people are so bothered that some of those soldiers do their thing in space

No-one's really bothered, there was just a flippant comment in response to everyone wanking on about 'Space marines, fuck yeah!'.

Deicist on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tallus wrote: »

No-one's really bothered, there was just a flippant comment in response to everyone wanking on about 'Space marines, fuck yeah!'.

Coming again to save the mother fucking day yeah!

Ahem. . .

That talk of a WWI styled space game has me all hot and bothered now. I can imagine large space ships styled after WWI battleships blowing each other to pieces, while small bi-plane and tri-plane styled fighters pew pew at each other.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quake Wars is less than a year old, and it's been (being re-released) on consoles this year. Gears of War got the PC release last year? Metroid Prime 3 and Halo 2 (Vista)? Crysis is dangerously close to space-marine (in a spaceship no less, as is Lost Planet (colonies re-release this year).

This year there's stuff like Chrome 2, Dead Space, Huxley (vaporware on), Aliens: Colonial Marines, Teberium (The EA C&C shooter).

Well I was trying to limit my list to actual space marines. Military guys in space.

Gears of War I'd like to list since it's cliche tastic for so many space marine tropes, but it's really just a sci fi military game. They don't really go into space at all (unless the next game changes it) it just happens to take place on a planet that isn't earth. And Crysis isn't space marine game at all. The dead space guy is a miner, so that doesn't work either. And Samus a space marine? That's stretching things.

Would Tiberium really count? I guess there might be some space station action, but it's all earth based. Come to think of it Quake Wars is also just human military forces on earth.

Huxely and Aliens I'll definetly give you. Chrome I've never heard of. Lost Planet I'm not that aware of to say one way or the other, isn't it set
    on a frozen Earth?

You maniacs! YOU FROZE IT UP! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gears of War I'd like to list since it's cliche tastic for so many space marine tropes, but it's really just a sci fi military game. They don't really go into space at all (unless the next game changes it) it just happens to take place on a planet that isn't earth.

How often do the Warhammer Space marines actually fight in space, as opposed to fighting land campaigns that just take place on planets other than Earth?

Deicist on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tallus: Who is that guy?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    Tallus: Who is that guy?

He's Mr What GIS gave me for 'steam punk'

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gears of War I'd like to list since it's cliche tastic for so many space marine tropes, but it's really just a sci fi military game. They don't really go into space at all (unless the next game changes it) it just happens to take place on a planet that isn't earth.

How often do the Warhammer Space marines actually fight in space, as opposed to fighting land campaigns that just take place on planets other than Earth?

they go into space first though

and then they fight on alien worlds

I think you need to meet those two criterias to be a space marine

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    acronomiconacronomicon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Depends on whether you go by novels or the typical setting for a WH40K tabletop game I suppose. The books are filled with actions that take place on ships, and Space Hulk is entirely built around fighting on ships.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will buy this.

Good or not.

For the glory of the Imperium!

e: A fun thing to do while LANning Dawn of War is to include "-for the glory of the Imperium!" after everything you say.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Depends on whether you go by novels or the typical setting for a WH40K tabletop game I suppose. The books are filled with actions that take place on ships, and Space Hulk is entirely built around fighting on ships.

Fair enoguh, my point was that 'not going into space during the game' doesn't preclude a game being 'space mariney'.

Deicist on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Well I was trying to limit my list to actual space marines. Military guys in space.

Gears of War I'd like to list since it's cliche tastic for so many space marine tropes, but it's really just a sci fi military game. They don't really go into space at all (unless the next game changes it) it just happens to take place on a planet that isn't earth. And Crysis isn't space marine game at all. The dead space guy is a miner, so that doesn't work either. And Samus a space marine? That's stretching things.

Would Tiberium really count? I guess there might be some space station action, but it's all earth based. Come to think of it Quake Wars is also just human military forces on earth.

Huxely and Aliens I'll definetly give you. Chrome I've never heard of. Lost Planet I'm not that aware of to say one way or the other, isn't it set
    on a frozen Earth?

You maniacs! YOU FROZE IT UP! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

I think Space Marine refers more to the big bulky guy or big armoured guy shooting things (aliens) with silly weaponry.

Chrome is kinda like Unreal 2, but you do play a marine, with a spaceship. I don't know where lost planet is set, but it's as close to starship troopers as I think you'll ever get which pretty much epitomises space marine. Lot's of bugs, lots of mech style action. etc.

Crysis you do end up battling space aliens, with a futuristic suit, in a spaceship with futuristic/alien weaponry.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That's not quite the distinction I was making. It's more that Gears of War's setting is a different planet, but the human civilisation in the setting isn't a space faring one.

I was trying to point out something by making a list of space marine games. That there's shitloads of games that you could lump in as being "space marines" but how many games are actually featuring space marines?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    so basically every sci fi action game ever now includes space marines

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is a dumb conversation, guys.

But really it's better than being overloaded with WW2 shooters, which thankfully seems to have calmed down a bit.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    On another note: I thought they were called space marines in most sci-fi because they're usually part of the 'navy' (people who have the big funky spaceships) rather than the 'army' (ground huggers who occupy planets and so on).

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    On another note: I thought they were called space marines in most sci-fi because they're usually part of the 'navy' (people who have the big funky spaceships) rather than the 'army' (ground huggers who occupy planets and so on).

Well lets look at it this way. Modern Marines are most famous for amphibious assaults. Going from ships, hitting the beaches, assaulting the enemy. Space Marines go from space ships, hitting the planet, assaulting the enemy. As for the Army, we are more of a "drop us in the rear and we will move to the front" kind of force.

Hm. Silly discussion, in real life if there was such a thing as a "Space Marine" I think they might just be called Marines. . . or ODST. 8-)

Disclaimer: I have been up all night and am ready to discuss any silly topic.

Axen on
  • Options
    FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Hm. Silly discussion, in real life if there was such a thing as a "Space Marine" I think they might just be called Marines. . . or Colonial Marines

Marines.jpg

Fixed

Frosty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Frosty wrote: »
    Hm. Silly discussion, in real life if there was such a thing as a "Space Marine" I think they might just be called Marines. . . or Colonial Marines

Marines.jpg

Fixed

I was like

2 seconds from posting that

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Marines.jpg

Fixed

I was like

I didn't even think about that. :(

I feel so ashamed.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Marines.jpg

Fixed

I was like

I didn't even think about that. :(

I feel so ashamed.

As do I.

Axen on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aren't Aliens and Games Workshop from pretty much about the same time anyway?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Well if we are just talking the phrase "Space Marines" wikipedia says this:
    The phrase "space marines" first appears in Robert A. Heinlein's "Misfit"[1] (1939)

Huh, who knew?

Axen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The phrase "space marines" first appears in Robert A. Heinlein's "Misfit"[1] (1939)

Huh, who knew?

Wikipedia knew. It's so dreamy.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Huh, who knew?

Wikipedia knew. It's so dreamy.

Oh hey check this out:
    The United States Marine Corps's Project Hot Eagle considers the use of spacecraft to deliver marines to a target on the ground. "Within minutes of bursting into the atmosphere beyond the speed of sound – and dispatching that ominous sonic boom – a small squad of Marines could be on the ground and ready to take care of business within 2 hours."

Neat.

Axen on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Huh, who knew?

Makes sense.
    Heinlein wrote the original Starship Troopers after all.
    Difference is that he wrote it without the satire.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Huh, who knew?

Fun fact: GW was the first to copyright the name "Space Marine" (sneaky bastards, them), so the old Aliens toys that called the Colonial marines "Space Marines" had a little "Space Marine: Copyright Games Workshop, 1994" in the fine print.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love that they do that kind of thing. Like how they have the chaos star and chaos itself trademarked even though they lifted it from moorcock. Sneaky bastards indeed.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I love that they do that kind of thing. Like how they have copyrights put on the chaos star and chaos itself even though they lifted it from moorcock. Sneaky bastards indeed.

I still hope someone secretly releases Damnatus so that I can actually watch the movie.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You're talking about trademarks, not copyright.

Deicist on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    so any game with soldiers in sci fi settings is considered to be a "space marine" game?

and people feel overexposed to this or what?

It's just soldiers in space man.

I'm not sure what people want instead. "Random person with wargear in space"

"Geese in space"? Do they fucking want geese? Someone fill me in here
    There are plenty of awesome troop types in 40K they could have picked to make a third-person action game focussing on close combat

But instead they went and picked Space Marines

Yawn

bongi on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will continue to say that this game would be much cooler if you could play an Ork Nob.

Just sayin'.

SJ on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    It would be the coolest if you could play as a Harlequin and explode people from the inside.

bongi on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So pissed I missed the video, has THQ said when it will be officially released?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    so any game with soldiers in sci fi settings is considered to be a "space marine" game?

and people feel overexposed to this or what?

It's just soldiers in space man.

I'm not sure what people want instead. "Random person with wargear in space"

"Geese in space"? Do they fucking want geese? Someone fill me in here
    There are plenty of awesome troop types in 40K they could have picked to make a third-person action game focussing on close combat

But instead they went and picked Space Marines

Yawn

Yes, how lame of them to use the one race the player might actually be able to relate to. (I'm ignoring IG in this because they would suck at an assault-focused game)

No by all means let's be an evil, soul-eating Dark Eldar wych. Except no, have you ever seen the Dark Eldar? No one plays them because they look fucking stupid.

Let's be an Eldar...oh wait, I can't think of an assault choice of their that wouldn't be eaten alive by one of those Chaos marines. Okay maybe playing as a harlequin would be rad.

Tau! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Kroot maybe? Oh boy, let me play as an aboriginal beaked fucker or a big flying bug.

Necrons or Tyranids! Yes, a group of beings that communicate in no way I understand and function in a manner completely alien to me and everything I've ever known. This type of shit works in a RTS, not here.

Orks! For the die-hard few they're cool. For the rest of us, they're fucking stupid.

And no sense mentioning Chaos because they're more marines.

The only way I could see this working without marines is maybe the inquisition?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, the player will definitely relate to a super-human who is bred only for combat and who spends 18 hours a day praying.

bongi on