As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my finger numb forever?

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I was trying to fix a belt and didn't exactly have the proper tools.
There is a tiny screw that needed to be unscrewed and it was quite stuck.

After some time I got it loose using a beret, but the very very tip, right side next to the nail on my index finger was like numb, from all the pressure I was putting on it I guess.

It's just a tiny spot that is "numb". It kinda feels like its asleep but just when I touch it.
Did I damage nerves or something? Its not discolored or anything, just a lack of normal feeling there.
Been like that for a day or 2.

Is it numb for ever? o_O

I know medical questions are usually instantly "Go to the doctor" but I don't think this warrants that.
Maybe someone is knowledgeable on the subject of nerves or something :lol:

rfalias on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You might have pinched a nerve. It may take a few more days to get better. If it's not better after a week or so go see a doctor and see what he says.

This is one of those "not much we can do about it, you'll be annoyed but alright with it" sort of conditions.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, give it a few days. You could have caused some form of internal trauma, a bruise, or swelling, that is obstructing it a bit.

It sounds like its a pretty small area so I wouldn't worry about it unless it goes on for a while, or you start seeing any discoloration.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Meh, nerves can stop transmitting after being mildly traumatized, but usually return back to normal within a short period of time.

They're meant to do this, it's why scratching works on itches.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really screwed up one of my fingers carrying tons of groceries in one hand. I may be able to carry them but the plastic harness loops did some damage to my nerves for about 2 months it was pretty numb, but I am happy to say it came back. Have no fear! (this was about 6 months ago)

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Meh, nerves can stop transmitting after being mildly traumatized, but usually return back to normal within a short period of time.

They're meant to do this, it's why scratching works on itches.

Usually. I cut one of my fingers pretty deep 15 years ago, and as a result the left side of the last joint went numb. Over the years it's very, very slowly improved, but there's still a spot that's numb to this day.

It's not a problem, though. After a couple months I stopped noticing it, and it hasn't affected how I use my hands at all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's not really bothersome. I just know it's there so it's kinda weird.

rfalias on