As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nor-Cal/Bay Area gathering in RENO!

ArcoArco Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in PAX Archive
This was posted somewhere on the greater PA forums, but... it's all really stupid out there. So, I'm reposting in here.

Welcome to Winter PAX in Reno!

Twice the gaming, twice the fun, a chance to meet new people, reconnect with people you met in Seattle, and a chance to find new interesting addictions! We're putting on this party for anyone in the Northern California/Bay Area/Northern Nevada area, which includes places like Sacramento, San Francisco, etc. But obviously anybody is welcome if they can get here.

Here's the plan so far, keeping in mind that it's all tentative at this point:

A collection of rooms, most of them linked together, to party and sleep in. There's a distinct possibility these will be free! Details in the spoiler:
Room Situation
I don't want to say that the room are going to be free, because if some unforseen circumstance pops up that ruins it, people will be bummed. So I'll say this: the organizers of the event have a connection, and there's a distinct possibility that all the rooms will be free. A real possibility, not a "shot in the dark" kind of possibility. It's worth mentioning that because we're getting hooked up, we need to keep the rooms in awesome condition. This guy we know is doing us a service by providing such swank space and liquor, so we need to take good care of him and the rooms. This goes without saying and we don't expect anybody to be a douchebag, but it's worth mentioning. We also won't get you out of prison after you end up naked and drunk in the craps table downstairs (well we probably won't.) We're going to fill these rooms with all manner of nerdy fun we can think of. See below!

All the games you can possibly think of and bring. This includes BYOC for LAN, game consoles, tabletop, card games, whatever. Details in the spoiler:
Gaming Situation
Bring your PCs. We need someone with LAN equipment. We also need as many 360s, Wiis, accessories, and games as we can muster. All the usual party games apply, especially Rock Band 2! Aside from electronic gaming, we're also shooting to have tabletop gaming (Warhammer, WarMachine), card gaming (Pokemon, M:tG), and whatever else people are into.

There's lots of other stuff in the Reno area people might be interested in doing, too. Details in the spoiler:
Being that it's winter break, there's going to be lots of opportunities for skiing and snowboarding within 20-30 minutes of Reno. We also have ice skating downtown, a couple cool coffee bars, a very nice downtown district, etc. We're planning on maybe having a night out on the town for those of legal drinking age, stuff like that. Once again, we're still planning stuff. If you have any ideas, post them!

Right now, the event is in the early planning stages. We're still working on details and dates, and we don't have much of anything concrete except the hotel rooms and the desire to party with games. We're especially working on dates. We would really like to know what the most convenient time for people would be. We're guessing winter break, but that's pretty vague. That's what the poll is for. If you're interested in attending, please vote on the poll and tell us what dates would be best for you. We'll narrow things down to a more specific timetable when we get more responses.

Please post in this thread and vote in the poll if you're interested in knowing more about this shindig. We'll have more specific details on dates, costs (if any), upgrades to rooms like jacuzzi rooms (this is a possibility), confirmation codes, what people are bringing, etc. as things progress and come into focus.

THANKS! SEE YOU IN A FEW MONTHS!

Any questions, please contact Arco here on the forums or at joesausage at gmail dot com.

Like this, not like the gas station.
Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
Satellite Theater for life!
Arco on

• Options
    PsychoSpam90PsychoSpam90 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I'm whole-heartedly up for this. Live just 30 miles south of Reno in Carson City.

Know Reno pretty well, actually...was just there last night to see Choke.

Anyways, where are you guys thinking of holding this?

PsychoSpam90 on
    PsychoSpam.png

Congratulations! You have successfully reached the end of my post.
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm also interested in more details. SF isn't that far away and would be willing to drive 1 or 2 from norcal.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice job Arco i see your pulling the lurkers out of the woodwork.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can maybe make it down there but it would have to be after Christmas but before Jan 4th. Not much of a window but that's what happens when you work full time, go to school full time, and have a family.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
This discussion has been closed.