As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sternum popping/cracking!?

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So just recently I've noticed my sternum will pop or crack occasionally if I turn my chest a bit, or move my shoulders down and inward. It's just like cracking your knuckles or back, feels and sounds the same.

I've never really heard of this before and I kinda figured the rib cage was a good ol' solid piece, but perhaps I am wrong?

It does not hurt or anything, and actually feels kind of pleasant when I do pop it, which is a couple of times a day, especially if I sit still for extended amounts of time but I notice it, and am just curious...

Anything to be worried about? Anyone else seen this happen before?

rfalias on

• Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can do this as well. The first time it happened, I thought I was dying(exaggeration), but it did hurt like a bitch.

Now it just happens every once in a while, no biggie.

Only thing is, sometimes it will feel like it needs cracked, and I'll try to crack it, and nothing happens. Then it sore/painful until I can finally get it to pop.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    rfalias wrote: »
    So just recently I've noticed my sternum will pop or crack occasionally if I turn my chest a bit, or move my shoulders down and inward. It's just like cracking your knuckles or back, feels and sounds the same.

I've never really heard of this before and I kinda figured the rib cage was a good ol' solid piece, but perhaps I am wrong?

It does not hurt or anything, and actually feels kind of pleasant when I do pop it, which is a couple of times a day, especially if I sit still for extended amounts of time but I notice it, and am just curious...

Had the same thing. Turns out I had to adjust my posture. Do you by chance hunch a little when you are standing/walking?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    rfalias wrote: »

Had the same thing. Turns out I had to adjust my posture. Do you by chance hunch a little when you are standing/walking?

I don't think my posture is bad while standing/walking... but I'm on a PC like... 90% of the day, and it's really good during that time, depending on what I'm doing.
    I tend to hunch toward the PC while gaming, I find it enhances my reaction...

But while at work, I'm usually leaned back in a high-back chair, so its pretty straight for most of the day.

rfalias on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, it's normal. The sternum connects to the ribcage with cartilage.

The ribcage being flexible helps with that whole breathing thing.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FozwazerusFozwazerus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not alone!

I crack my breastplate by doing a manly chest stretch, arms all splayed out like Moses pleading to the heavens for salvation.

Scared a bloke at work once.

OK fine he just thought I was weird and gross...

Fozwazerus on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's probably the joint between the sternum and manubrium.

It occasionally happens to me, usually in some sort of stretch as was noted earlier.

Tal on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah this happens to me as well. I can also crack lots of other shit... ankles, wrists, elbows...

If I flex my arms out, what you hear is basically *crack* *crack* *crack* *crack* *crack* *crack* *crack* *crack*

Al_wat on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lol much like everyone else i have this happen too. dont be concerned.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My left foot cracks whenever I climb stairs. Every step I take cracks it. It can crack walking normally, too.

Is this bad?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    My left foot cracks whenever I climb stairs. Every step I take cracks it. It can crack walking normally, too.

Is this bad?

strech more. It sounds like that is probably a tendon moving. If you strech it should take care of that. I find that it feels good to strech right before bed.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »

Is this bad?

My foot has done this for years, if i angle my foot and push on the front right (or left depending on the foot) it will crack, feet are probably my only non problem are, ache and pain wise *knocks on wood* id like to think this is normal.

Also whenever i rotate my wrists or ankles, all i hear is popping and grinding noises.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

But do believe the rando suggesting that putting literally any damp leaves on your chest will somehow draw moisture from cartilage.

Haha, man. I needed a laugh today. Thanks!

Iruka on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Enc Its way more clean up if you respond to spam instead of just reporting it. Just report it. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.