As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Slug Anthology-Lacks control schemes

14567810»

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the tips, Freezie. I just played Metal Slug 6 just now and realized I was supposed to shoot the eyes on those bastards!

I managed to beat Metal Slug 6 using 13 credits. I consider that a fair accomplishment for myself :) I'll try your tips out on the Worm boss. I hate that thing..

As for the Tonko Art Gallery, mine was finally unlocked after I beat every game on the compilation on Limited Continues, and unlocked every token-based art gallery. After I just beat MS6 tonight on Limited, it finally opened up.

The special music gallery is still locked, though, but I have only used tokens to unlock the first 3 out of 4 of them. I'm betting that if I unlock the 4th one, then perhaps the special one will unlock as well. We'll see.

My next goal is to beat Metal Slug 1 on .. I'm going to say 10 credits.. maybe 5. I'll probably go back to MS6.. that game is so damn good. It's just so difficult.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It really is nice to see metal slug pass the test of time. SNK in all of their wisdom really made a neat game here. Now, where the hell can I get a wii for my metal slug anthology?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man, I just got this game two days ago for my birthday

SO awesome! I beat 1 yesterday on my second try (I use Limited lives), then ALMOST beat X. Today I've played for basically four hours straight and managed to beat X and get to the final boss in 3 (then die :()

So much <3 for this game

Edit: Oh, also, I just use the normal Wiimote control scheme. Shaking it to throw grenades is a bit awkward at first, but it's really not that bad.

Lemming on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Am I alone in which I'm waiting for the PS2 version? I'm used to Metal Slug controlling on that pad, and the wii controller doesn't do much for me in the way of controlling an arcade game. I don't really like the way grenades are handled.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    slash000 wrote:
    My next goal is to beat Metal Slug 1 on .. I'm going to say 10 credits.. maybe 5.
    I beat it without a death. [spoiler:2df6db2d8e]gogo save states... [/spoiler:2df6db2d8e]

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Am I alone in which I'm waiting for the PS2 version? I'm used to Metal Slug controlling on that pad, and the wii controller doesn't do much for me in the way of controlling an arcade game. I don't really like the way grenades are handled.

GC controller, plays just fine.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    is it just me or is Metal Slug 4 ridiculously hard and cheap? I used so many continues, damn.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    is it just me or is Metal Slug 4 ridiculously hard and cheap? I used so many continues, damn.
    The series went into the toilet after 3.

Stopped being about the neat-o and became all about eating tokens and whoring. Apparently the people who made 1-3 didn't make 4-6

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PSP version delayed.. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    Anthology isn't out here yet and I haven't played them in a while so you'll have to remind me. Does 4 have the stupid aircraft boss that shoots a shitload of firebombs at you? Because that thing was annoying, not hard like something in metal slug 3 or whatever, but hard in a badly designed way.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    -SPI- wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    Anthology isn't out here yet and I haven't played them in a while so you'll have to remind me. Does 4 have the stupid aircraft boss that shoots a shitload of firebombs at you? Because that thing was annoying, not hard like something in metal slug 3 or whatever, but hard in a badly designed way.

funny thing is, I can't remember, but metal slug4 is the one where the end boss is some scientist and he is making robot general mordens. When I was playing through it, I felt like I was constantly being overwhelmed with bullets not being able to dodge, plus I think they made the invincibility time shorter because one time I died, spawned on an enemy, tried to move out of the way and died.

One more thing, it seemed like they barely gave you any weapon powerups. The other games were a bit better on spreading them out. Actually, it might be due to me dying so much.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TelMarine wrote:

GC controller, plays just fine.
    Yeah, but I have MS4/5 on PS2, and I got used to that setup.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can I hook it up so that 2 players are playing on wii-motes and a third is playing on a gamecube controller? Any help would be great, I am trying to do this right now.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can I hook it up so that 2 players are playing on wii-motes and a third is playing on a gamecube controller? Any help would be great, I am trying to do this right now.
    Yes.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yes.
    Could you tell me how? I can't figure it out and it isn't in the manual.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well it appears that what I proposed is NOT, in fact, possible as the game does not support 3 players despite the box saying otherwise.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, woops. Sorry. I hadn't thought of that.

The darn game is 2 player only.

The back of the box is lies.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it just me, or is Metal Slug 6 the odd one out of the series? It looks and feels ... different. I would rank them

3<X<1<2<5<6<4

homeobocks on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My own ranking of these would go...

X/2

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It looks different because it's on Atomiswave hardware, as opposed to NeoGeo hardware. The background and other art has been drawn in high resolution, just not the main character/enemy sprites.

The gameplay has been expanded a little bit. I would say that it stands apart from the others more so because MS 4 and 5 were 'mediocre' compared to the first 1->X. This is often attributed to them being developed by someone other than the original team during SNK's 'death.' Metal Slug 6 has been developed by their 'reborn' team.. I would say that the new guys did a great job. They have to start adding stuff to the mix to keep it from getting old, and they did a damn good job of it. They added in the new characters (the Ikari Warriors, fuck yeah!) and the special attacks. I think it's just about equally awesome in terms of gameplay, difficulty, and the awe value that you get when going through the missions; whereas MS4 and 5 were weaker on this point (especially after following MS3, hah!)

So... It looks different because.. well, it's a lot of fresh stuff and it's running on more powerful hardware. It followed up 2 of the games done by 'the other guys.' And I'm guessing that SNK wanted to spice things up a little with the new characters and such. I think it worked great, now that I've gotten much better at the game.

I haven't played them all enough to rank them fairly, i'd say, but I still think that MS6 is up there.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Seriously, is there anywhere to go to find out more information on why this keeps getting delayed? Maybe someone with some inside info, a developer blog, fucking something?

Valernos on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Valernos wrote:

Seriously, is there anywhere to go to find out more information on why this keeps getting delayed? Maybe someone with some inside info, a developer blog, fucking something?

all developers should have a .plan or blogs.. it's a great way to communicate with the fans and build hype.
    too many companies keep a closed comm policy.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I got this a few days ago and my friend and I are going through the games beating them on free play before trying to beat them normally.

We just played four, and agreed that it was our least favorite of the bunch. Six seems surprisingly good, despite people's criticisms of it so far.

So, does anyone have any tips for not dying on some of the earlier games? Some of ya'll that talk about one-crediting it just boggles my mind.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4 can eat my metal slug. Oh wait, it did...

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The thing I hate about Metal Slug 6 is that the last mission seems designed to eat so many quarters, an unreasonable amount.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The only things that I really don't like about the wiimote/nunchuck control scheme is the sensitivity of the analog stick (I crouch when I should move), and that A is a little hard to hit to jump.

Other than that, it's surprisingly pretty comfortable.

So yeah, I take the silence as "you both suck and should just keep playing on free play. Also, you're ugly too."

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I agree with Telmarine; MS6 is friggin' awesome, but I feel almost as though it's too quarter-hungry to feel as 'fair' as Metal Slug 1 or X or something.

I feel sorta the same way about MS3.. it's amazing, but I doubt I would try beating this in an arcade.

The other MS games I could see myself beating in an arcade. Heck, I will probably be able to 1 credit MS1 in the not too distant future. Or at least 3 credit it or something :P

So, Lavaknight. You use the wiimote/chuck? I prefer the horizontal wiimote style, or the Wavebird. But otherwise, I'd probably use the wiimote/chuck, as it is essentially a standard controller in that form. I don't have much advice right now for beating the games in less credits, not yet. Maybe more specific questions can bring you more specific answers.

I do know that playing on Limited credits helps me 'appreciate' my lives more, and I usually play better that way.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, it feels pretty natural and I've gotten used to it save for the couple of things I mentioned above. I really wanted to try the Wii out with traditional games and see how it manages, and am pleased by the results when motion controls aren't just tacked on for shits and giggles.

Thanks for offering up your opinion. I'll definitely get back once we try it out with non-freeplay style.

Also, what game is X in the time-line in which they were released? Three is my favorite so far, pretty much because when I think back to playing MS on any arcade machine, I usually think of three. I did like the lock in gun aiming in six, however.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got this a while back, and my favorite is MS3. MS6 is good, but has too many parts that just seem impossible, and designed to eat quarters.

I think MS3 has just the right mix of fun run and gun and actually possible "bullet hell" quarter eating segments. You never feel like the game is cheating, you feel like you just need to try harder.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:
    Yeah, it feels pretty natural and I've gotten used to it save for the couple of things I mentioned above. I really wanted to try the Wii out with traditional games and see how it manages, and am pleased by the results when motion controls aren't just tacked on for shits and giggles.

Thanks for offering up your opinion. I'll definitely get back once we try it out with non-freeplay style.

Also, what game is X in the time-line in which they were released? Three is my favorite so far, pretty much because when I think back to playing MS on any arcade machine, I usually think of three. I did like the lock in gun aiming in six, however.

I actually found the Arcade Controls really fun, except I just can't hold my hand vertically well enough to sustain a whole game like that. :)

Otherwise, I simply like the horizontal wiimote or the wavebird simply because they're regular controls that work great with the game. The wiimote/chuck work well too, since the stick is used the way it might be used on a gamepad.

Metal Slug X is a remake of Metal Slug 2, so it came out after it. The game fixed some tech issues of MS2, and it added a few new enemies I think, as well as a couple of new grapical effects. It's basically a remix of MS2, and it's an excellent game.

Once I can 1-cc (or thereabouts) on MS1, I'm going to try to nail down MS3 a little better. Since it's so awesome.

slash000 on