• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm guessing it's his senate office.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone have the video for McCain's response?

Talka on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how was the show?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Those aren't that nice, excepting the party big wigs who get historic rooms in the Capital building. Durbin's office is pretty damn awesome being majority whip, but Obama's is just a generic one in Hart. That may have been his house in Kenwood. And I really don't see how it was made to look like the oval office. It was a square room with an exposed leg desk, and bay window. I mean, an office setting is always the more Presidential or just plain mature, but this was no oval.

moniker on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Those aren't that nice, excepting the party big wigs who get historic rooms in the Capital building. Durbin's office is pretty damn awesome being majority whip, but Obama's is just a generic one in Hart. That may have been his house in Kenwood. And I really don't see how it was made to look like the oval office. It was a square room with an exposed leg desk, and bay window. I mean, an office setting is always the more Presidential or just plain mature, but this was no oval.

I looked over it a few times.

It's the flag that does it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I should get a full-sized flag for my room. Intimidate the fuck out of my roommates.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    So how was the show?

My eyes are kind of watery.

I'm not nearly as into him as most of the people here.

That's how it was.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how was the show?

Pretty cheesy.

Well made though.

Duki on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how was the show?
    Perfect. The messages to the sleeper cells got through.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The office was clearly the Ovaltine Office. Presidential framing.

The production quality was great. I found the black elderly couple the hardest hitting with the shot of her fingers and his clipping the Walmart tag on.

It also struck a good balance with its three parts: Stories, Obama policy and endorsements. That kept it from being boring along with the Band of Brothers esque production.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just finished watching it. It was pretty good actually. I mean, it was basically a 30-minute campaign ad, but a good one.

McCain will probably hammer on the fact Obama did not talk about his relationship to Ayers in it. Or maybe mention that Osama Bin Laden makes videos too, and ask for an investigation in that connection.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Just finished watching it. It was pretty good actually. I mean, it was basically a 30-minute campaign ad, but a good one.

McCain will probably hammer on the fact Obama did not talk about his relationship to Ayers in it. Or maybe mention that Osama Bin Laden makes videos too, and ask for an investigation in that connection.

Obama admitted that he wouldn't be a perfect President in the ad. Are you ready for an administration that forgets to cross its t's?

moniker on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I only caught the last ten minutes.

It was a good ten minutes though.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I only caught the last ten minutes.

It was a good ten minutes though.
    The full clip is in the OP...

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Obama admitted that he wouldn't be a perfect President in the ad. Are you ready for an administration that forgets to cross its t's?

While I personally admire the honesty, when I heard him say that I was all "Oh fuck here come the ads."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

While I personally admire the honesty, when I heard him say that I was all "Oh fuck here come the ads."

What's he gonna say, "I'm John McCain, and I'm absolutely perfect in every way."?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What's he gonna say, "I'm John McCain, and I'm absolutely perfect in every way."?

Just you wait.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Just you wait.

Palin will beat him to it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought this was pretty good

I would love a full documentary of this campaign that sort of breaks him down even more into a real person though

Medopine on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cheese, cheese cheese, cheese and cheese (at least well made). With a healthy dollop of heart-string-pulls. But at least it'll get undecideds interested in looking up his track-record and what-not.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From the Obama/B. Clinton Rally:
    Notice when Obama says that John McCain has served his country well, the crowd is calm.

Refer back to any mccain/palin rally when Obama's name is even mentioned and listen for the BOOs (and recently terrorist, kill him, etc.).

This is the fundamental difference between us and the republicans.

variant on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Protip: Add &fmt=18 to the end of the youtube URL for high-quality.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    variant wrote: »
    Notice when Obama says that John McCain has served his country well, the crowd is calm.

Refer back to any mccain/palin rally when Obama's name is even mentioned and listen for the BOOs (and recently terrorist, kill him, etc.).

This actually occurred to me. You see McCain rile people up by implying Obama wants to "QUOTE 'SPREAD THE WEALTH AROUND'" then grinning when they boo and hiss.

When McCain comes up and they boo, he asks them to calm down and that if they REALLY wanna show their disapproval, vote for him (Obama).

That, to me, speaks volumes of his character.
    "My opponent wants this."
    "BOOOOO"
    "No, we don't need any of that."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    variant wrote: »

This actually occurred to me. You see McCain rile people up by implying Obama wants to "QUOTE 'SPREAD THE WEALTH AROUND'" then grinning when they boo and hiss.

When McCain comes up and they boo, he asks them to calm down and that if they REALLY wanna show their disapproval, vote for him (Obama).

That, to me, speaks volumes of his character.
    "My opponent wants this."
    "BOOOOO"
    "No, we don't need any of that."
    Yes, its much nicer to have it all splashed all over the internet. The anti-Republican thread titles and rants are so polite and well mannered :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I would love a full documentary of this campaign that sort of breaks him down even more into a real person though

My roommate was watching a documentary that chronicled Obama's political life right from the start, a few days ago

Apparently Obama's first real win was in municipal government, where he showed that all his competitors had forged signatures on their nominations or something, thus disqualifying everyone except himself and running unopposed

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, its much nicer to have it all splashed all over the internet. The anti-Republican thread titles and rants are so polite and well mannered
    What does that have to do with the candidates' behavior? We aren't expecting people not to be douchebags. We are just expecting the candidates not to encourage it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, we did have a thread for this. Title was more misleading than I expected...

I understand that gag thread titles are in vogue, but... really?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My roommate was watching a documentary that chronicled Obama's political life right from the start, a few days ago

Apparently Obama's first real win was in municipal government, where he showed that all his competitors had forged signatures on their nominations or something, thus disqualifying everyone except himself and running unopposed

Welcome to Chicago politics. People who made Obama out to be some lightweight that couldn't last in a real scrap really didn't know or didn't respect how tough it is to rise out of the Chicago political machine.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The really awesome thing about the ad for my wife and I was that it didn't even mention McCain once. I hope that when Obama wins, future politicians decide that negative campaigning isn't a necessity.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Negative advertising is never going to go away. What we're aiming for is slanderous negative advertising (swiftboating). There's nothing wrong with negative ads that are based on facts.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Negative advertising is never going to go away. What we're aiming for is slanderous negative advertising (swiftboating). There's nothing wrong with negative ads that are based on facts.

I don't expect they'll ever go away, but I do think that we will see a lot more people trying to emulate Obama's message of hope, which doesn't jive well with focusing on your opponents negatives.

Calling out your opponents choices and lies is fair game, but it shouldn't be the only game in town (as it seems to be in most heated election contests). It is a lot easier to focus on how much the other guy sucks instead of putting a positive message out there, and it doesn't tell me much about who you are. It's also easier to be deceptive (Obama wants to sex up your kindergartens) when you're being negative than it is when you're talking about yourself.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »

This, but also a balance of negative and positive ads. I don't just want to know why I should vote against your opponent, I want to know why I should vote for you. I think Obama struck a good balance. I predict that in 2012, Obama will have even more positive ads, particularly if his first four years go well. He can be all, "Okay, here's why I'm awesome: X, Y, Z, A, B, C. I'm Barack Obama and I approve the hell out of this message, booya."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I already knew about this

I was thinking more of a nice documentary that really shows his flaws and how he overcame them

Because everyone has flaws and has made mistakes

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I already knew about this

I was thinking more of a nice documentary that really shows his flaws and how he overcame them

Because everyone has flaws and has made mistakes

To be fair, that kind of technicality attack is the standard for Chicago elections, I'm told.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's not an attack, and yes it is. You want to not get kicked the fuck off the ballot for breaking election laws, don't break election laws.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's not an attack, and yes it is. You want to not get kicked the fuck off the ballot for breaking election laws, don't break election laws.

Yes but what I'm saying is that trying to bust the opponent on this kind of thing is par for the course in Chicago politics (which is, in my opinion, a very good thing).

The other guys were pretty stupid to try and fake it in the first place.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's pretty irrelevant, as it's not really what I'm talking about

Obama sometimes doesn't seem human because he's so awesome. I want to see his "real" "human" side that shows his flaws but still concludes that yeah, he's pretty awesome.

Medopine on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's pretty irrelevant, as it's not really what I'm talking about

Obama sometimes doesn't seem human because he's so awesome. I want to see his "real" "human" side that shows his flaws but still concludes that yeah, he's pretty awesome.

Well, considering he's likely to be the first black president you're bound to see some documentaries on both the man and likely the campaign as well. Might take a couple/few years, though. But you'll probably see both more of them and see them sooner because of this.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know it's basically impossible and wishful thinking, but could the situation the GOP has been in more or less since Nixon (with the exception of the Reagan years though there was shit going on there too) but arguably culminating now lead to a real split and a third party? Aren't there economic conservatives that are tired of being strapped to abortion, denying civil rights and having to settle for advising unqualified idiots?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    I know it's basically impossible and wishful thinking, but could the situation the GOP has been in more or less since Nixon (with the exception of the Reagan years though there was shit going on there too) lead to a real split and a third party? Aren't there economic conservatives that are tired of being strapped to abortion and unqualified idiots?

No. The way that our electoral system is setup (even if you were to abolish the Electoral College) essentially forces us to be a 2 party system founded on broad based coalitions. This may well lead to what occurred over the course of Nixon-Reagan which is a great sorting out. Changing the regional and philosophical electoral support mechanisms and reliability.

moniker on