As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Episode Two: complete! Thoughts?

MistressKanaMistressKana Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
So I've finished episode two and there were some pretty awesome things to it and a few little things I wasn't partial to.

If you havent finished the game, I have a great idea for you: DONT READ THIS THREAD.

If you do, I can't be held responsible for what you see with your dumb ass eyes. Not everyone knows how to use that spoiler tab thingy.

Anyway! Moving on. Espisode two had a lot of great stuff to it and was generally a vast improvement to the first. In my own opinion, I thought the script in the first one was funnier but, hey, whatever.

What I liked:

1. The text was way easier to read on the 360 version, I don't know about the others. My televisions really small, so this was important.

2. New items. White Christmas was BA.

3. That rich woman enemy with the fur wrap that bit your face just tickled my fancy.

4. Lots of Locations was pretty cool.

5. Cut scenes were, again, beautiful.

6. That monkey was the shit! I loved Gabe's desire to keep it like a stuffed animal.

I'm probably leaving a lot out of my like list but w/e. I'll add as I remember.

What I didn't like so much:

1. The end fight. The concept of fighting the giant Fruit fucker with a giant female baby doll is halarious and horrificly wrong in so many ways (Fruit fuckers a pedo!). But it would have been nice if that combat had been more fleshed out, like a regular battle with, perhaps, some more tricked out options. It felt kind of cheap to just press three buttons till you powered up and killed him in one shot.

2. They killed my mime! Wtf?! He was marrying me that night!! You fuckers! Now I have to seek eternal vengance and that's just so..so time consuming.

3. The fetch quests for that woman at the asylum. That was annoying as hell. I couldnt have just beat her head in with a hoe (futeristic or otherwise) and then just gone in? They have crazy people just wandering around so it seems like it could have been blamed on any one of them and even if it couldn't, they locked me up for crazy anyhow. Would have saved time.

4. That everytime you visited the asylum, you had to run all the way back through the entire waste land with nothing in it. You'd think they might have taken one or two of the empty panels out when they no longer served a purpose.

MistressKana on

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, Just finished it myself, and I have to say, Better in almost every respect compared to Ep 1. Can't wait for Ep 3!

Now, Moving on...
    A few things that I did NOT like first, get them out of the way.
    1. Gabe's GOD DAMN mini game. I HATE that bastard! Haaaate it.
    2. The endboss, was a bit...meh. THe puzzle to get Anne-Claire to beat the FF was kinda simple, even though the actual fight was bloody HILARIOUS. So I'm calling that a even bet.
    3. Before the fight with the Furnace thing, there's a long cutscene, and if you lose the fight, you can't skip it.

Now! Onto the great stuff :)

More puzzles, Amazeing dialoge,

I love the part at the beginning where you can say "No" to Gabe and Tycho.
    "I've got one of those rock gardens. I rake the SHIT out of that thing."
    "You used to KILL people with a rake, remember?"
    "Good times..."

More cutscenes, more areas, overall MORE in everything. Amazeing job!

BTW Kana, I never had the problem you had with the asylum. I always started in the courtyard. Maybe you missed a hidden poster or something?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    AH, no it wasnt that I started at the end, I started at the court yard to. It's that when I had to leave I had to run all the way back through the nothingness.

Also I've remebered something else that was awesome. That brain puzzle game you play after they drug you up to restore your sanity was so much fun, and that Catsby and Twisp were in there, you know, observing like it was a spectator sport just sealed the deal for me.

MistressKana on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All in all, this episode felt a lot more fleshed out then Ep 1, which was pretty bloody good to begin with. You definitely got the sense that they really hit their stride with putting this one together. And I completely support throwing in more of the cutscenes as they were bloody hilarious.

Favorite moment of the whole thing: epic one on one fight with Charles! After he nails you right at the start of the chase I expected a significant challenge so I spent a bunch of time right at the start I buffed myself and debuffed him and settled in for an extended brawl... and then do over half his massive hp total in one hit.

SISSY BOSS FIGHT!

Best. Fight. Ever. Interspersed with Tycho running around as the screen shakes from my presumed off-camera ownage.

Here's some of my nitpicking, nothing too bad:

-I might be imagining this, but it seemed like the pathing from moving around was a little rougher then the first game, maybe because the environments were more complex. My character seemed to be getting stuck on invisible barriers more than Ep 1, and Gabe/Tycho kept getting left behind as I moved around. Course this didn't affect gameplay any so it's pretty minor.

-My memory might be messed up, but it seems like what was the epic final boss music from Ep 1 became the regular boss music for this episode, which disappointed me a bit. Again, though, since it's a good track anyway I can't complain too hard.

-Speaking of epic fights, I'm going to echo some of the earlier comments that the last fight seemed way too abrupt, even with the fantastic concept of a mech-to-mech confrontation. The whole thing took me maybe 3 minutes, opening cutscene included. It was a great idea storywise but a letdown in gameplay. This is the only real problem I had; even letting us wail on the head for more then a few rounds would have made me feel better. As it was, it almost seemed a waste of all the power and minigame talent I'd been building up.

Also, if you could do the brain minigame at any point, with a timer or something for scoring that would be super awesome.

And this isn't a nitpick but after seeing the thing at the end I'm not sure if it's a very vague preview of Ep 3 or just a funny reference to the comic's Blood, which is probably exactly what was intended.

But overall, very good, definitely surpassed Ep 1, and I'm already counting the days until we can get our hands on Ep 3.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AH, no it wasnt that I started at the end, I started at the court yard to. It's that when I had to leave I had to run all the way back through the nothingness.
    Um....this may be a dumb question, but you do know that you can hit the gear in the corner and it'll bring up the map, right? That's what I always did to get back to the map...

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Um....this may be a dumb question, but you do know that you can hit the gear in the corner and it'll bring up the map, right? That's what I always did to get back to the map...

Yeah. You can always just go to the map through the agency button, and travel anywhere.
    The only place you have to physically leave is when you're trapped in the dungeon of the Asylum.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, word? I guess I'm slow then lol. I blame it on the pregnancy draining away my brain cells.

MistressKana on
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was good, but personally I found the first one more enjoyable.

3 minor issues:

1) A agree with Meiteron's comment that "the pathing from moving around was a little rougher then the first game".

2) There was much more foreshadowing in the first episode then the second. For example:
    The big robot was an integral part of the first episode, and carrying that over tied the two together. In ep3 we will probably meet the caped guy at the end of ep2 a character which I know nothing about. I just played through and beat ep1 again today after beating ep2 last night, and I was amazed how many of the issues going on in the background of ep1 were resolved in ep2, e.g. the Asylum, the bad doctor in ep2 stealing the book etc. I had forgotten the "in the next episode.." trailer at the end of the first episode, it really left me wanting to keep playing. Episode 2 ended poorly, IMHO. All of the strings were tied together nicely I mean hell, they killed all the characters from ep1 and half from ep2. Everything was packaged together rightly until they played a 30 second video of a character I'm going to have to wait months to understand. I'll probably still play ep3 but I don't feel the anticipation I felt for ep2 that was built in ep1. Am I alone?

3) Minor issue. After playing ep1 again I realized that the camera in the fight scenes was much more appropriately placed in ep1. In ep2 it was viewing most battles from the side so it made it more difficult in some instances to select the enemy I'm attacking or the ally I'm healing. There was at least a couple times I healed Gabe instead of Tycho because one character moved in front of the other. It was very frustrating. Today I realized that you can also select an ally on the bottom of the screen. Still I prefer the over the top camera.

There was some things I enjoyed. I really liked how there were costume buffs in this one. (side note, can someone tell me where the third costume is? The costumes I have are:
    mine and the hunter costumes.
    When I went back and played ep1, I was hoping that it was a feature I just didn't know about. I wonder what the status buff would be for making a wig out of Goldylock's hair?

Reagan on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    @Reagan

Just so you've got a bit to go on:
    The character of Dr. Blood, and the mysterious caped man (who are likely one and the same) is based on Doctor Raven Darktalon Blood, a comic made up by Gabe within the PA comic itself (confused yet?), who is a parody of various 'hardcore' comic characters. Some strips featuring him can be found here:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/05/05/
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/5/4/
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/5/6/

If you weren't intruiged already, you should be now. If you still aren't, your soul may be missing.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Actually, yea. Episode two tied up the strings rather well, didn't it? I'm not as viciously, rabidly, droolingly craving episode three. I mean certainly, I'll get it, but probably not on release night whilst gripping the controller with white knuckled need.

and
    I also was a bit dissapointed that we already killed the giant fruit fucker, never minding that the battle itself was a bit of a let down. It seemed like it should have been a more epic, long standing thing going into at least episode three, given the fruit fucker signifigance in the strip.

But in anycase I trust PA and I have enough faith to know that episode three will be good, probably with some new, fun things to do, even if I'm a bit aprehensive about the closing clip containing
    Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood.

MistressKana on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    @Reagan

The character of Dr. Blood, and the mysterious caped man (who are likely one and the same) is based on Doctor Raven Darktalon Blood, a comic made up by Gabe within the PA comic itself (confused yet?), who is a parody of various 'hardcore' comic characters. Some strips featuring him can be found here:

If you weren't intruiged already, you should be now. If you still aren't, your soul may be missing.
    OK I'm intrigued now. Still I wish this was alluded to in the game. Not all of us PA fans are hardcore enough to get the inference of a handful of comics from 2005. My goodness, I hope that his "Leviathan" will be a support character.

Reagan on
  • Options
    MaratanosMaratanos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On the other hand, personally I'm anticipating episode 3 more than episode 2, because it had a better teaser, in my opinion. I'm a sucker for in-universe details, so I like references like Yog Sethis, god of mimes,
    Yog Kathak god of gears, and Hestia, which is a Greek God of the hearth, which means god knows what

Maratanos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Does anybody know if we'll be able to import our swag into ep3? I'm working on my cardboard tube costume, but I'll be anoyed if I'll only be able to use it on the last 10% of the Insane Mode.
    I just beat the game again on insane difficulty and I am pleased with the new costume. I was holding out hope that in insane mode you would actually have to fight the final boss. I'm pretty sure I could take him if he didn't regen.

After reading what Golden Yak sent me, I put a lot more of this game into context. I am certainly more exited about ep3. The questions abound:

1) Where do Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood's allegiances lie?
    2) Will he be a playable character (either in his current mild mannered form or in his ass kicking comicbook form)?
    3) Will your team have to make a trip into Underhell?
    4) Will you have to fight Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood?
    5) Will Leviathan be a playable character/support character?

It'll be interesting, but I still wish they'd have done a better job playing up interest in the ep3 throughout the story. Perhaps making allusions to Underhell?

Reagan on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    - The music was better this time, but it didn't go on for very long. It's like they learned from the annoying-as-shit carnival music from ep1 and stopped making the music loop, but the music in ep2 was actually good (in my opinion)

- The Charles chase and fight scene was equal parts hilarious and awesome. His "The Charleston" move in particular cracked me up. Also how the hotel manager just blurts out "You two are going to fight to the death". So funny.

- More support characters and no useless ones like the cat

- Wider range of enemies with amusing moves and sound effects

- "Rest type" story/puzzle areas like the Symposium area really appeal to me. I don't like every area to be about wading through hordes of enemies.

Dislikes:
    - The combat. I didn't like it in Ep1 and I didn't like it in Ep2. I felt like the battles were more of a chore to get through to experience the game (not that some of the enemies and the moves they use weren't entertaining in their own right). Enemies have too many hitpoints and sitting there charging special moves and timing blocks just gets old fast. I'm not even a stranger to this JRPG style of combat being a longtime FF fan, but something about it in this game just rubs me the wrong way.

Zante on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey, Thomas Kemper was anything but useless! He ate up time and let your moves charge up.
    Though Mr. Tails is a good replacement - take a lot of time as well as doing decent damage.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hey, Thomas Kemper was anything but useless! He ate up time and let your moves charge up.

I agree
    I miss the pink FF in ep1, I wonder in there will be a Tails and pink FF love backstory in ep3? :winky:

Reagan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Haha I miss the pink FF to. It was so cute! I still vote for a deep crow in ep. 3

MistressKana on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you get anything for getting all of the collectibles? besides the bonus comic?

As for insane mode collectibles:
    I just opened the first chest to find a pair of sandals. Now to decide if playing through on insane is worth it or not...

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The sandles are a part of the cardboard tube samari costume. It's fun to play in it and it gives you +75 attack. I wish there were more differences in insane mode/alternate ending. The enemys are a little harder and they don't help you block at all. I did it, but only because I had the time to. You wont miss out on anything great if you don't do it.

Reagan on
  • Options
    Grug The JustGrug The Just Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    Like:
    -The new combat buddies were cool.
    -The music was interesting.
    -The weapons were awesome.
    -Sissy boss fight, grand.
    -Special attacks, seemed more polished.
    -The mini-game was neat.
    -The story was better than last time.
    -The searching seemed less...contrived.
    Overall- an 8.

Dislikes:
    -Lack of music in certain areas.
    -Div was neat but slower that Mr. Tails and less powerful. Would've been nice to see him scale up in speed or power.
    -The Twisp and Catsby mini-game isn't playable for the sake of playing it on it's own.
    -The final boss fight seemed very lack luster, a puzzle but no substance.

All I can think of at the moment.

Grug The Just on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh. Only managed to get 4/6 weapons upgrades. How do you upgrade your weapons in the later stages of the game?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh. Only managed to get 4/6 weapons upgrades. How do you upgrade your weapons in the later stages of the game?
    Last area has a machine that you can use.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    things I liked:
    the cutscences, especially the robot monkey fights
    the hoe of tomorrow
    dr. drei
    Tycho's general hilarious writing
    Gabe's awesome art in motion gg hothead

things I disliked:
    the combat was too frantic to read the dialogue at the beginning of most fights
    killing all the good doctors (rip whimple, you're peeing in heaven now)
    the boss fight was ridiculously easy
    my computer lags just slightly so I have to block before my cue (I know that one is my fault)

torian on
  • Options
    DolashDolash Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I'll certainly say that the one thing that changed, for me, from Episode 1 to Episode 2 was that the setting became a bit of a "crapsack world".
    That is, in episode one it was just barely possible to rationalize the crazy happenings. Killing all the feral hobos had a feel to it like Condemned - they were driven crazy as part of the Dark God's return, and you had to fight through them. In this episode, though, it starts to feel more like you just kill people because hey, gotta kill something, am I right? The crazies in the asylum and the robots were justified as opponants, but why the heck were evil architects on the attack?

A lot more "innocent" people also get whacked by you in episode 2, like all the folks who live in the apartment building you burn down (the ones who didn't try to kill you), and all the people on that train you launch into the orange.

Oddly enough, the massacre at the Symposium on the future of Man doesn't fit in with this. There has been, until this point, an implicit division between the "game" world and the "setting" world. That is, you can walk down a street and gun down a dozen hobos or young lovers and not bat an eyelash because that's part of the "Game". On the other hand, you can then go talk to a distraught mime doctor in need of help finding his wedding ring and consider that a worthy task. The writing even pokes fun at this, by playing with the mild cognitive dissonence between the story and the action.

The Symposium massacre, however, was a violation of that sacrosanct division. A dozen or so random people getting chopped up with lasers should hardly be worthy of note by now, but there was until this point the implicit understanding that those NPCs were the "real" people, while all the no-names that get diced to pieces in combat or as part of the "game" aren't quite as real. It gave us a reason beyond the loss of one's house to seek the destruction of the dark machine god, now to avenge those fallen scientists.

Still though, the game increasingly suggests that this is a world not worth saving, and that our heroes aren't in it for heroic reasons but more petty and short-sighted goals. I'm fine with that - it's fitting with both the Lovecraftian themes and the general feel of Penny Arcade, where men may die for possession of a wrist watch. The change in tone was no doubt the biggest difference to me.

Oh, and about what we see in the next episode?
    I'm curious about Crazoir's daughter. It struck me as definite and direct foreshadowing about a character we'd see in the future. It might have been just one more slightly humanizing touch before disintegrating him, though, to pump up the empathy, but it's just as likely we'll run into her in the future.

Dr. Blood is naturally pretty interesting, and the question of whether he'll be friend or foe remains presently unanswered. The first episode laid the groundwork for the next episode's villain, however, so this makes me think that Dr. Blood will no doubt be involved somehow with the next dark god. It's a good way to tie the games together, and it'll be harder to do that now what with a great number of characters dead. I mean, without the Fruit Fucker Prime, your character's motivation is kind of out the window along with one of the main enemies of the series.

Speaking of your character, I kind of hope they get more development options towards the end. Not just more clothing or new weapons, but a few more chances to flesh them out a bit. It doesn't even need to be some sort of multiple choice, choose-your-own-adventure development (though that'd be sweet), just a few more things to help the character stand out as more than a middleman through which we might interact with the Penny Arcade universe. That little solo-adventure was a nice touch in the Asylum.

Dolash on
  • Options
    toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dolash wrote: »

[/spoiler]

I'm curious about Crazoir's daughter. It struck me as definite and direct foreshadowing about a character we'd see in the future. It might have been just one more slightly humanizing touch before disintegrating him, though, to pump up the empathy, but it's just as likely we'll run into her in the future.

Dr. Blood is naturally pretty interesting, and the question of whether he'll be friend or foe remains presently unanswered. The first episode laid the groundwork for the next episode's villain, however, so this makes me think that Dr. Blood will no doubt be involved somehow with the next dark god. It's a good way to tie the games together, and it'll be harder to do that now what with a great number of characters dead. I mean, without the Fruit Fucker Prime, your character's motivation is kind of out the window along with one of the main enemies of the series.
    considering that Dr. Blood needs to go into Underhell to get his powers I don't think we've seen the last of the various doctors that got slaughtered by the FFP. Perhaps the ghost of Dr. Whimple will seek out our 'heroes' and beg their aid (most likely destroying the main characters home in the process).

torian on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reagan wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    @Reagan

OK I'm intrigued now. Still I wish this was alluded to in the game. Not all of us PA fans are hardcore enough to get the inference of a handful of comics from 2005. My goodness, I hope that his "Leviathan" will be a support character.

There's a few other bits of foreshadowing that I thought were significant:
    Namely, that the Brahe bloodline is no longer of interest to the Necrowombicon. In another scene, we see the player character picking up the book, which Dr. Blood seems to react strongly to. The PC may be more significant than simply being the player's interface to the game world.

Also, the narrator seems to have taken on a more sinister bent this time. One especially important thing he said went something like "Without help, you may be destroyed-- not by me, certainly, but by the others". That reference to "the others" and the fact that he says he can only help the player if they allow it makes me strongly suspect that the Narrator is one of the Four Gods. That's certainly significant foreshadowing, isn't it?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, word? I guess I'm slow then lol. I blame it on the pregnancy draining away my brain cells.

Eat fish.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Kupi wrote: »
    There's a few other bits of foreshadowing that I thought were significant:
    Namely, that the Brahe bloodline is no longer of interest to the Necrowombicon. In another scene, we see the player character picking up the book, which Dr. Blood seems to react strongly to. The PC may be more significant than simply being the player's interface to the game world.

Also, the narrator seems to have taken on a more sinister bent this time. One especially important thing he said went something like "Without help, you may be destroyed-- not by me, certainly, but by the others". That reference to "the others" and the fact that he says he can only help the player if they allow it makes me strongly suspect that the Narrator is one of the Four Gods. That's certainly significant foreshadowing, isn't it?
    We.

Had that established.

From the beginning of Ep1

Anyone who has read any of Lovecraft's work with Nyarlothotep in them drew that conclusion.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    A lot more "innocent" people also get whacked by you in episode 2, like all the folks who live in the apartment building you burn down (the ones who didn't try to kill you), and all the people on that train you launch into the orange.
    I noticed that as well. In the first episode we were beating up on mimes, feral hobos, clowns and barbershop quartets. In this one we were killing young couples in love and rich people for their money. The violence lost a little of the cartoony quality that made it fun.

Reagan on
  • Options
    vgkarthik88vgkarthik88 Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I know this is a thread for people who are done the game, but I've been stuck with the last boss fight for 2 days now! i cant figure out how to get Anne-Claire's attack high enough to kill the robot before it recharges. He hits me and my attack drops again. How do i know when to block? is there some indicator that will tell me when i have to block his attack?

vgkarthik88 on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know this is a thread for people who are done the game, but I've been stuck with the last boss fight for 2 days now! i cant figure out how to get Anne-Claire's attack high enough to kill the robot before it recharges. He hits me and my attack drops again. How do i know when to block? is there some indicator that will tell me when i have to block his attack?

You don't need to block him, you need to make him slow enough so that he can't attack you at all.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I liked this one more than the first and I think the story is starting to heat up and I think Episode 3 is going to end up being even more of a cliff hanger than this one.

However, I'm sorry. The final boss battle was bullshit.

You spend the entire game learning how to do those god damn special attacks and then all of a sudden, bam, NOPE, you're sidelined and you have to learn a quick series of attacks on how to win in seriously one punch.

That was lame. I wish the build up to Annarchy saving the day was a helluva lot more difficult. Then she can come for the KO, but at least let me feel like I earned something by upgrading my weapons fully (which I didn't even get credit for, THANKS stupid machine at the World Fair).

Off to insane mode from difficult, but seriously, the final boss fight was stupid.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I was hoping that you could fight the battle out in at least in insane mode.
    I wonder if it'd be doable if he didn't heal?

Between this and "Sissy fight" it's lame that the closest thing to a real boss fight is the megaFF's wang. I guess the hunter guy could also be considered a boss fight, but he was pretty much a standard eneny with a "confuse" attack.

Reagan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looking through the rest of this thread, I have to admit I agree with all of the negativity here.

One thing that struck me was the comment on the division between the 'game' and 'real' world being broken. When the Fruit Fucker Prime destroyed the Symposium of Man, it just didn't feel right and I couldn't figure out why until I read the comments on the first page, which hit the nail on the head. The death of the Mime from episode one, the urologist, all of the scientists I had gotten to know was total and utter nonsense. The urologist, who I am hoping turns out to hold the key to victory by giving you his Pocket Lint, death was particularly uncool. He had helped Gabe create his god-killing knuckles and then he gives you a few buffs, and he just gets killed for no god damn reason. That bugged me.

I also felt that the God of Gears was really hamfisted into the whole experience. The first game had Yog Sethis controlling mimes to take over the world while the God of Gears is running amok via the Necrowombicon and Dr. M. I just felt a helluva lot more connected with Yog Sethis than I did this guy, who just kind of showed up for no reason.

I guess I am just hoping a lot of this shit comes together, otherwise I'm just not sold on Episode 2.

Now, I am also hoping that this whole story arc comes together that there was a balance between the four Gods (similar to Eternal Darkness). Yog Sethis, God of Gears and the other two shmucks are in constant fighting, but somewhow, the balance got tipped that let Yog Sethis control the mimes. Of course, our intrepid heroes ended up ruining the balance all together by killing Yog Sethis and now the God of Gears, leaving two more to fight for the window sill.

Or something.

I would also like to see more information on Gabe's history like we learned about Tycho from this game. In particularly, how he came to punch the Devil.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also where the hell can I view the last poem from Episode 2. It's not in any of my movies from Ep. 2

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Negative list, pretty much all mentioned:
    1. I'll join in with being a bit disturbed with some of the enemy choices, especially the young couples. I mean, they attacked us with kisses, so we bash their brains in. If there were noticeable indications that they were possessed or something that'd be one thing, but all we really get is a suggestion at the end that, maybe, the engineers at the fair might be tainted. Maybe. Are we playing cartoon GTA here?

2. Like was mentioned, lining up the enemies in fights vertically makes it pretty difficult to click the right one. Ended up hitting the wrong guy fairly often.

3. The end boss was a bit cheap...we've spent 2 games chasing that fucker down, and then it's a buff and a punch and it's out. Two giant mechs should've taken down half the city in an epic fight.

4. Everything is all tied up now. We know as players there's 2 more gods, but game-wise there's no threats left. Almost all of the interesting characters (Stripe, Whimple, Crazoir, Charles) are dead...I kinda expected guys named Drs. One, Two, Three and Four were expendable but I liked those guys. Will we see Stripe's fiance and Crazoir's daughter? Is Stripe's fiance Crazoir's daughter?

It continued to bring the PA writing, art, and sense of humor though, so that's a plus.

Scooter on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

well Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood is a hard core extra awesome anti-hero who says stuff like 'THIS TOMB WILL BE YOUR GRAVE" so I don't think he will be the bad guy. But I mean maybe I guess

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    well Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood is a hard core extra awesome anti-hero who says stuff like 'THIS TOMB WILL BE YOUR GRAVE" so I don't think he will be the bad guy. But I mean maybe I guess
    My 2cents is that Gabe will go into underhell because "everything was going alright until he punched the devil" subplot. Devil takes Gabe (his son?) hostage. Dr. Blood will join your party to help save Gabe (and to fullfill the "I need to go to underhell and become immortal" storyline). Leviathon will be a support character. Your party saves Gabe defeats the devil (3rd god?) and in the process Dr. Blood becomes an immortal and steals the necrowombican, leading up to the 4th god UberDrBlood!!!!!!

Reagan on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reagan wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    My 2cents is that Gabe will go into underhell because "everything was going alright until he punched the devil" subplot. Devil takes Gabe (his son?) hostage. Dr. Blood will join your party to help save Gabe (and to fullfill the "I need to go to underhell and become immortal" storyline). Leviathon will be a support character. Your party saves Gabe defeats the devil (3rd god?) and in the process Dr. Blood becomes an immortal and steals the necrowombican, leading up to the 4th god UberDrBlood!!!!!!
    Don't forget those evil punchy things Gabe's hands are encased in now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    None of the weapons carried over from 1, I doubt they will from 2.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You know I joked about it before, but the whole 'kill fricking EVERYONE' bit bothered me to. I mean I don't mind if they kill all the random scientists, w/e but I liked whimple and the mime and, considering I just spent all that time getting him out of an asylum, I was pissed Crazior died to. There was no real reason for them to be killed there that I can see and being a sentimental lady that I am, the idea of two fuckers being vaporized right before getting married or meeting thier daughter just rubs me the wrong way. It's not exactly the sort of material I read Penny-arcade for.

MistressKana on