Options

ROCK BAND - Use the new thread

• Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Dave Grohl is just a straight up awesome guy.

This is my favorite video of him.

-Awesomeness-

Song for the Dead for Rock Band.

Scratch that. Queens of the Stone Age "Songs for the Deaf" Album for Rock Band. Period.

YES. I have been both salivating over/dreading playing the drums for "First it Giveth" in RB.
    Snare-kick-kick-snare-kick-kick-snare-kick-snare-kick-kick until your leg falls off! Not to mention the double-bass sections during the chorus.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh. Then I guess I rock. Did they make HOPOs easier to pull off?

Aside from shenanigans with the timing windows, how would they?

HOPO Chords are definately harder than HOPO notes, but I can't figure out why.

I was thinking about this and I might have a theory:

On some HOPO chords, say single green to green/red, it's really just adding a single button so it's not very different from standard HOPOs. But for a G/Y to G/R I'm thinking that some odd timing is occurring. Either the new chord button combo isn't being hit at exactly the same time or the game feels like the previous chord hasn't been fully released. Probably because you can't hold single frets that are lower than the current chord (think the ending to Testify).

Basically, if the HOPO is adding a single note the game doesn't seem to care. But switching chords requires a level of perfection the engine won't bend on. It's why I feel the new mechanic was a bad idea and I just strum all HOPO chords.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I agree with that. I also have a fairly easy time with the HOPOs that go from say GR to RY. HOPOS where you're playing one night and simply add a 2nd note to form a chord, or playing 2 notes and pull one off to go to a single note, or move both fingers, no problem.

If one finger stays put and one finger moves, they don't work right.

I would guess it's probably to do with not releasing the previous chord soon enough. One finger hasn't come entirely off the button before the next one is pressing a new button down, so instead of a 2 note chord HOPOing to a different two note chord, I'm very briefly making my 2 notes into 3 and then releasing one to go back to 2.

That's probably what I'm screwing up.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, if you're holding down the strum bar rather than leaving it released, HOPOchords won't work, but HOPOnotes seem to work fine.

Or maybe I just suck.

edit: Man, 25 or 6 to 4 would be an awesome Rock Band song if only it didn't have such a prominent saxophone part.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HOPO chords have always been a bit hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes they work fine, but other times they just inexplicably don't.

The end result is that I really don't use them at all.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Oh. Then I guess I rock. Did they make HOPOs easier to pull off?

Aside from shenanigans with the timing windows, how would they?

HOPO Chords are definately harder than HOPO notes, but I can't figure out why.

Added leniency on whether an old note can be held down before the new note is hit? Before I sold GH2, I occasionally went back and tried to play some of the HOPO-heavy songs. Even though I was playing songs on sight in RB that seemed much harder than some of the GH2 songs, I still wasn't improving on the latter. I took it as added leniency in the game engine. If that wasn't the case, then I can't explain it. Maybe RB gives me a +5 bonus to rock, or something.

edit: And yeah, I almost always ignore HOPO-chords.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe the square gems make it a bit clearer/easier? That's the only other thing I can think of that could make a difference...

midgetspy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I dunno. I certainly don't mind the explanations that involve me just being more of a badass than I thought.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I would guess it's probably to do with not releasing the previous chord soon enough. One finger hasn't come entirely off the button before the next one is pressing a new button down, so instead of a 2 note chord HOPOing to a different two note chord, I'm very briefly making my 2 notes into 3 and then releasing one to go back to 2.

That's probably what I'm screwing up.

I'm pretty sure that's it. If you hit the Y before releasing the R in a GR->GY HO Chord, it wont work. Basically they aren't bad at all as long as you realize that and get in the habit of releasing the buttons of the first chord (that aren't in the second) before pressing the buttons in the second chord.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Was browsing around and saw that someone made a thing to track star cut offs for any combination of instruments on any song, HERE. Doesn't look too solid but some of you folks wanted one.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone had sync'ing issues with the drums (PS3 version?). A couple of days after buying the game the drums un-synced with the system three times in one song. Had to turn the drum set off and on to reconnect it, and wait for it to un-sync 30 seconds later. We guessed it might have been the batteries and replaced them and the problem seemed to go away. A week later (tonight) it happened again. Turned the drums off and back on and things seem alright. This happen to anyone else? Any thoughts why this might be happening?

Masamune42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Masamune42 wrote: »
    Anyone had sync'ing issues with the drums (PS3 version?). A couple of days after buying the game the drums un-synced with the system three times in one song. Had to turn the drum set off and on to reconnect it, and wait for it to un-sync 30 seconds later. We guessed it might have been the batteries and replaced them and the problem seemed to go away. A week later (tonight) it happened again. Turned the drums off and back on and things seem alright. This happen to anyone else? Any thoughts why this might be happening?

This is a common problem on the official forums... it happens to me constantly, my RB2 drums won't stay on for longer than 30 seconds sometimes. I sent for an RMA and went back to using my RB1 drums for now. Not that I think the RMA set will be actually fixed, but by the luck of the draw I should get a set that works eventually :-(

RB2 is messed up though. Sometimes i get the "Please connect your drum controller #3 and press continue" message when I'm using the RB1 drums wired straight to the PS3. None of the buttons including the PS button work, I have to unplug them and re-plug them in to get them to work again.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this problem exclusive to the PS3, or have there been reports of it happening on the 360 version as well?

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

This is a common problem on the official forums... it happens to me constantly, my RB2 drums won't stay on for longer than 30 seconds sometimes. I sent for an RMA and went back to using my RB1 drums for now. Not that I think the RMA set will be actually fixed, but by the luck of the draw I should get a set that works eventually :-(

RB2 is messed up though. Sometimes i get the "Please connect your drum controller #3 and press continue" message when I'm using the RB1 drums wired straight to the PS3. None of the buttons including the PS button work, I have to unplug them and re-plug them in to get them to work again.

I've had similar problems, but not since the last PS3 firmware update.

Flapke on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, fuck the Beatles. When are we going to get some Elvis in Rock Band?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    By the way, what happens to your bands/funds/apparel from the original game when you load up Rock Band 2? Does everything just carry over?

Are there more clothes/hairstyles/etc in 2?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    itprintsmoney.jpg

Moss, you still entitled to any of that there cash, or are you completely severed from the RB cash machine now?

Also, I wonder what percentage of that is going straight to the Beatles...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    By the way, what happens to your bands/funds/apparel from the original game when you load up Rock Band 2? Does everything just carry over?

Are there more clothes/hairstyles/etc in 2?

Nothing carries over except for any DLC song files. Most everything from the avatar creator and Rock Shop is in RB2 so you can recreate your old avatar. And there are more things to select from. However, some of the art assets for creating logos and such are missing from the first game.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    itprintsmoney.jpg

Moss, you still entitled to any of that there cash, or are you completely severed from the RB cash machine now?

Also, I wonder what percentage of that is going straight to the Beatles...

He is in the credits of RB2, so just maybe. :winky:

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pretty sure Moss still gets royalties and stock options.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pretty sure I need to make friends with Moss.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Flapke wrote: »

I've had similar problems, but not since the last PS3 firmware update.

I've never had problems using the RB1 drumset in RB2 so far.

What happened to the score tracking on the RB website? I used to be able to click tabs like "My rank", but now I can't find anything similar to that. Does it not exist anymore? I'd like to be able to compare scores with a friend on 360.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I need a new guitar. My wireless GH3 neck finally stopped getting contact on certain buttons and my GH2 Xplorers are starting to grate on me with their constantly-shifting whammy bars. I primarily play Rock Band 2 at this point, although picking up GHWT down the line is not out of the question.

Here's the question for those who've used them: which guitar should I get, the RB2 guitar or the GHWT guitar bundle w/game?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As far as I've heard, the RB2 guitar hasn't had any problems since launch.

Skimming the GHWT thread tells me that neck connections are still posing problems, just fewer.

Personally, I feel the RB2 strat is the best around.
    and no ones ever gonna take him down

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I will, yet again, throw my undying support behind the RB2 strat.

I do hear the GHWT guitar is quite serviceable, though the touchpad is more or less useless.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »

I've actually had a minor problem with my RB2 guitar.

The fret buttons seemed to have a short in them, which led to very instantaneous note drops while holding the frets down. It was so minor that I could still 100% songs no problem, but the major thing it did was cut off sustained notes. I finally ended up RMAing it a couple days ago, days before the warranty ran out.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will, yet again, throw my undying support behind the RB2 strat.

I do hear the GHWT guitar is quite serviceable, though the touchpad is more or less useless.

I only played it for a few songs; the touchpad is rubbish and strange to use, but the guitar is pretty solid and I like the strummer. It's like an RB strat strummer, only with a light click. The guitar overall has good heft; I'd consider picking one up and replacing my Les Paul with it if the price were right.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Svevin wrote: »
    What happened to the score tracking on the RB website? I used to be able to click tabs like "My rank", but now I can't find anything similar to that. Does it not exist anymore? I'd like to be able to compare scores with a friend on 360.

Have you linked your LIVE/PSN account to your website account?

Have you friend people to compare scores to?

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »

I've actually had a minor problem with my RB2 guitar.

The fret buttons seemed to have a short in them, which led to very instantaneous note drops while holding the frets down. It was so minor that I could still 100% songs no problem, but the major thing it did was cut off sustained notes. I finally ended up RMAing it a couple days ago, days before the warranty ran out.

Mine does this too.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Arikado wrote: »

The "My Rank" feature was removed from the website for RB2.

EDIT: I really need to remember to edit my previous post instead of double-posting

midgetspy on
  • Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I need a new guitar. My wireless GH3 neck finally stopped getting contact on certain buttons and my GH2 Xplorers are starting to grate on me with their constantly-shifting whammy bars. I primarily play Rock Band 2 at this point, although picking up GHWT down the line is not out of the question.

Here's the question for those who've used them: which guitar should I get, the RB2 guitar or the GHWT guitar bundle w/game?

I haven't used either extensively but I've used both of them and I personally like the feel of the GHWT guitar more than the RB2 strat. Both my Les Paul and the RB2 strat cause my arm to feel uncomfortable while resting on them but the GHWT guitar is fair bit bigger and for some reason it's a lot more comfortable.

In the end I'd go find some stores with rockband 2 and GHWT kiosks and hold the instruments and play through a song. I saw a rockband 2 kiosk at my best buy and a GHWT kiosk at my toys r us.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The "My Rank" feature was removed from the website for RB2.

I really don't know why they removed that feature from their website. It used to be so easy to find out where I sat...now its a mess. It's just much easier to go into the game and use its leaderboard feature.

On a side not...yay for Foos on PSN today! Boo $20 out of my bank account...but so worth it <3

toolbert on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When does PSN DLC content go up? 5 pm PST?

EDIT: A bit off topic; is GHWT DLC weekly just as RB's? I just don't see any big fuss over it's DLC; I've kinda been spoiled by the fanfare each friday brings I guess.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Buy yourself a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, a fuckton of cotton swabs, and a Torx T10 screwdriver. Disassemble the GH3 guitar's neck part and clean all the built up dirt, dried sweat, etc, on the circuit board and button contacts. Then clean the neck contacts, both on the neck half and the guitar half.

My GH3 guitar used to be unusable and now it works like new.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

EDIT: A bit off topic; is GHWT DLC weekly just as RB's? I just don't see any big fuss over it's DLC; I've kinda been spoiled by the fanfare each friday brings I guess.

It goes up around 5pm PST, yeah. Sometimes earlier, almost never later.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Looking at the GHWT thread it looks like weekly DLC was the plan but they aren't quite living up to it. They do have a few songs I wish RB had though. I love drums for all the Oasis songs so much. I am really surprised that GHWT is doing as well as it is just on name alone. It looks inferior in almost every single way to RB.

I think RB may cause me to move. I really want to get the ion set and a proper drum stool. However I don't think I will get approval from the wife due to space issues. We live in a 500 square foot condo and she already isn't happy about having plastic instruments laying all over the place. Bigger place is going to have to happen.

corin7 on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nope. As soon as I became contract, that incentive bonus was no longer available to me. (I'm assuming that's what the article was referring to...)

I still, in theory, will get one more payment on the stock options I owned, which MTV purchased at the sale. But that's a separate thing.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pretty sure Moss still gets royalties and stock options.

Very few people in the industry ever get royalties... Mostly those are retained within the company or shared with select individuals.

Of course, as soon as the company became public (i.e. bought by MTV), all the options I had immediately became active and were bought by MTV (or, I should say, are in the process of being bought, so to speak... I don't know how that really works).

There is an incentive plan, which I believe is what the article is talking about. However, I'm no longer eligible for that. (Unless they are feeling magnanimous.)

S'okay... I just bought a new car with cash, so I'm feeling good. (No, it's not a Ferrari or anything insane. It's a freakin' little Honda Fit, orange, so I've dubbed the car "Fifth Fret".)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Are you gonna get the personalized license plate and drive in the far right lane all the time?

Arikado on