As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intervention: Peter/Game Addiction

2»

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm addicted to my wife :winky:

Lately I spend more time working on homework, experiencing frustration due to homework, watching my homework interfere with my life, relationships suffer, all that.

Someone should perform an intervention on me.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just wasted around 90 hours over three weeks on Suikoden V (yeah... I like to completely re-equip everybody every couple of hours :oops: )

I didn't even like the game. Hated 90% of the characters, the storyline, the whole point of the game, in fact.

And it still took up pretty much all of my non-work, non-sleeping life (and stopped me getting my typical 10 hours in of the latter :evil: ). That's addiction for you.

In my defence, I hadn't got 'into' a game properly for a while, and I had nothing else to do this month. The Kotor games were the real kickers. Played them during two exam periods while in uni.

I have been left this week with an odd sense of... emptiness. I have nothing to do between 7:00 and midnight...

10 hours of sleep? Do you think maybe you are addicted to sleeping? Christ...

One of my teachers at a camp I directed a couple of years ago claimed he suffered from insomnia.

I said ok, but you still have to come to work on time.

Turns out the moron just stayed up until four a.m. every night and slept until noon.

I told him to get his lazy, stay up all night, non-insomniac ass to work or he'd be fired.

I fired the doofus the next week.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just wasted around 90 hours over three weeks on Suikoden V (yeah... I like to completely re-equip everybody every couple of hours :oops: )

I didn't even like the game. Hated 90% of the characters, the storyline, the whole point of the game, in fact.

And it still took up pretty much all of my non-work, non-sleeping life (and stopped me getting my typical 10 hours in of the latter :evil: ). That's addiction for you.

In my defence, I hadn't got 'into' a game properly for a while, and I had nothing else to do this month. The Kotor games were the real kickers. Played them during two exam periods while in uni.

I have been left this week with an odd sense of... emptiness. I have nothing to do between 7:00 and midnight...

Yeah. I usually get six hours or less of sleep.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Because I work on computers, I think my work and gaming bleeds into each other.

So I dont have any sort of addiction, but instead of going outside for a smoke (I dont smoke) I can just fire up N or something on my PC at my desk.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Captain CharismaCaptain Charisma __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    N is ridiculously addictive given what it actually is. I should get rid of the desktop icon, it's constantly taunting me when I should be working.

Captain Charisma on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Given up/lack of interest in sex for videogames is pretty much where I draw the line for saying someone is an 'game addict'. Seriously, any male that wouldn't rather have sex then play a videogame has something wrong with the wiring upstairs (or maybe downstairs, but we have pills for that. :winky: )

I could see passing on the strip club though, some of those are just nasty.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:

Your sleep pattern is actually less healthy than his. 10 hours is within a decent range. Six hours or less isn't.

Tube on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:

Your sleep pattern is actually less healthy than his. 10 hours is within a decent range. Six hours or less isn't.

It depends on the person though, some people (especially if you exercise frequently) really do only need 5-6 hours of sleep.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LockeCole wrote:
    titmouse wrote:

It depends on the person though, some people (especially if you exercise frequently) really do only need 5-6 hours of sleep.

That's just social conditioning in effect. All human beings really need 10-12 hours of sleep a day. If we all got that much sleep regularly, our bodies would stop ageing (since it is tiredness that causes it).

I will be immortal, I promise you that.

...I think I have the basis for my own religion here. Any takers?

Seriously, if we let ourselves (and have nothing exciting to get up for) we can easily sleep half the day away. And a recent study showed that teenagers (okay, I don't count in that bracket anymore, but still) actually require more sleep than adults, and on different cycles.

I read it so it must be true.

Nothing wrong with ten hour sleep sessions. Maybe you're just not doing it right.

edit: This post is all over theplace. I must be tired. Since starting my 9-5 I haven't been getting what I need in the bedroom, so to speak.

Seriously.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    well now this is interesting. I have to say i dont think there is such a thing as video game addiction, more that it is an easy escape mechanism for people suffering depession.

I failed a year of university because i spent most of my time playing Ragnarok Online. im not entirely sure why but that game is amazing to me . I wouldnt, even now, say I was addicted to it but at the time I had serious depression and spending 14-16 hours a day playing RO is one of the easiest things to do when you are depressed. Playing games was easier than most things, including eating, during this time i lost a stone and a half (21lbs for americans). When there was an intervention by my family, they didnt stop me playing computer games they just helped me realize i had better things to do. So rather than treating that kid for a gaming addiction they should have sent him to a psychiatrist, or from the sounds of it his entire family.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Now that I think about it I did have a "problem" years ago when i was into Diablo 2. For whatever reason I just couldn't put it down. My girlfriend (now wife) who lived with me had it out one night and we ended up with a compromise. I would game less to spend time with her because I was neglecting her a bit. But i stipulated that she had to give gaming with me a try to show her playing video games is not some evil relationship killing thing and actually quite fun. Glad to say that even though I still get into grooves where I obsess about a game, at least my wife understands now because she is usually playing them too and knows when to reel me in.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have to say I went through a stage for about six months where I would play Morrowind for anything up to 36 hours straight.

Yes I was addicted, but I was in a really bad place at the time and really had nothing better to do with my life than lose myself in a totally made up world that was a million miles away from my life at the time.

I eventually got out of that when I discovered IRC and started to make some good friends who helped me come to terms with a lot of the problems I was having in my life and I've not looked back at the addiction since.

Even now, I have had a WoW subscription for the past 3 months but I barely put any time into it at all, perhaps an hour or two every few days and rarely play any game for more than 3-4 hours at a time.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I may be addicted to sleep. It seems like every night I neglect things I could be doing to sleep. I tend to spend about 8 hours a day doing nothing but marathon sleeping. I believe I've spent around 1/4 of my life trapped in this horrible addiction.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a WoW account. I even lined up to get my Burning Crusade CE. I think I have played it maybe 3 hours in the last month. Though, admittedly I did play WoW for upward of 12 hours a day when I was briefly unemployed.

I fire up the DS at work when I'm dropping a deuce or when there's a serious lull. Sometimes I'll play it at home when my gf wants to play Sims 2 on our 40 inch. I just sit on the couch with her.

I don't think I'm addicted but games are a big part of my life. But then I guess it's more of a hobby than an addiction. If anything I'm addicted to buying games.

Seriously, my backlog is like asstardedly huge.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Meh, whatever. You can get addicted to anything that pleases you. Video games, gambling. Exercising. Jerking off.

There's six billion people in the world. Name any hobby or activity, you can bet there's at least one person out there who does it so much they neglect personal relationships, sleeping, showering, eating.

Just to clarify, Captain K is absolutely correct. You can be psychologically addicted to anything, while physical addiction is based around the body's physical desire of something, and requires an addictive element.

This, for example, is why some people do nothing but sit around and smoke marijuana all day, wasting their life away, despite the fact that marijuana itself has been repeatedly proven to contain nothing physically addictive.

Why do I bring this up? Many people can't tell the difference and launch hateful campaigns against things that have zero addictive properties because of a sibling that is psychologically addicted, or something like that. This is a bad thing, and needs to be curbed before everything under the sun is banned.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a problem. I'm addicted to air. I can't go for more than 2 minutes without it. I'm hooked on the stuff. Have been since day one, and will until I die.

It's got a stranglehold on me.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For god's sake, people, stop making the addicted-to-air/water/sleep/food joke. It's obligatory and stupid.

Captain K on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    But if it's obligatory...

Anyways, is there even withdrawal for gaming addictions? I'd think if anything, your eyesight would improve if you've been torn away from your frequent 40 hour marathons and what not.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    But if it's obligatory...

Anyways, is there even withdrawal for gaming addictions? I'd think if anything, your eyesight would improve if you've been torn away from your frequent 40 hour marathons and what not.

Withdrawal from gaming addiction is like withdrawal from any psychological dependency. Nicotine addiction only takes a few days to work itself out, but smoking addiction can take years to a lifetime before the person has gotten that monkey off their back. Alcohol is similar in that any physical addiction present is gone a fairly short time after your first day clean, but many alcoholics can never touch a drop for the rest of their lives or face falling back on it. I have addiction in the family at multiple levels and know what it’s about; it’s literally almost completely in your head. But it turns out your head has a lot to say about how you behave and isn't disposed to change its ways. Moral of the story is, don't fuck with your head. Fortunately I am only slightly obsessive and not prone to addiction like a number of my relatives are.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    For god's sake, people, stop making the addicted-to-air/water/sleep/food joke. It's obligatory and stupid.
    What about being addicted to love? Robert Palmer makes many good points.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    What about being addicted to love? Robert Palmer makes many good points.

From what I hear he's in deep.

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay Houk I have to hand it to you, I laughed pretty hard at that

Captain K on