As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WTF? Gametap adds music content

VeganVegan Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/30/gametap-forgets-half-its-name-adds-music-content/
GameTap forgets half its name, adds music content
Posted Jan 30th 2007 5:45PM by Zack Stern
Filed under: Culture, Retro, Online, Business

GameTap has added music content to its diverging focus from being a videogame download service. While game-related video shows -- and some that aren't expressly about games -- were already a part of GameTap, the music areas and new "Artist of the Month" selection confuse the message.

GameTap has recently been earning gamer credibility by publishing new titles like Sam & Max episodes and the upcoming Myst Online: Uru Live, but the new music content seems like an idea from out-of-touch marketers to appeal to a younger audience. Even the first two featured bands seem like a scattered approach. Fall Out Boy strikes us as My First Emo, appealing to the Music Television kids with their Total Request Lives. (At least Kyle's cousin likes it.) And The Hold Steady is nearly the opposite, a great rock outfit that sounds like the smokey halls it plays.

But, come on, GameTap. If we wanted to listen to The Hold Steady, we'd play it on our stereo. (And if we wanted to listen to Fall Out Boy, we'd turn on an MTV awards show.) We hope that GameTap can turn a profit and please papa Turner without pandering to a music audience.

GameTap, it's too early for you to jump the shark; keep the focus on games.

Why is everyone trying to pitch us a multimedia solution??? Find your niche and stick to it!

steam_sig.png
Vegan on

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Free music? Nice.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Really, I dont care as long as Gametap keeps releasing new games every week like theyve done since launch. The service started with something like 200 games and now its closer to 800. A lot of those games are excellent, too.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BiggNife wrote:
    Really, I dont care as long as Gametap keeps releasing new games every week like theyve done since launch. The service started with something like 200 games and now its closer to 800. A lot of those games are excellent, too.
    Yea, but with them going into music what games are they now looking over etc. etc.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So how long until Gametap adds reality tv[/mtv]

Jokes aside, I don't see why Joystiq is complaining. Oh noes, now I can listen to music for no additional cost while playing my games! How terrible!

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png