As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer isn't booting correctly-fixed

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
hey guys.

I went to turn on my computer this morning and nothing happened. The light on the front (the cyclinder icon) stays red. I checked the connections and they all seem to be in correctly.
To be honest nothing seems different from last night at all...except for the part it wont boot. Monitor seems to be waiting for a signal I think as its still flashing.

Any suggestions? :(

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The cyclinder icon is your harddrive light, but it could be your PSU. Thats the most likely culprit do you have another system where you can switch the PSU over and see if thats the problem. You can also test it with a volt meter if you want

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    The cyclinder icon is your harddrive light, but it could be your PSU. Thats the most likely culprit do you have another system where you can switch the PSU over and see if thats the problem. You can also test it with a volt meter if you want

All the fans and such are still running mind. I'll try that though, I think I still have my old PSU around.

I'm also going to test all of the ram i think.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you 100% sure it isn't a video issue? Meaning it could be booting but it just isn't showing a picture?

Other then that, power is being distributed, but nothing else is cranking up, my money is on mobo, but test the RAM, that can prevent it from posting.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sometimes a computer freezes right at the start of the boot cycle because of a bad USB device. This is because with keyboards all going USB these days, your computer scans your USB devices before it does anything else - so you can hit the BIOS entry key or whatever. Unplug all your USB stuff and try again.

I built a new machine the other day and while rebooting after installing some drivers it started freezing right before the memory check. Couldn't get into the BIOS or anything. After a quarter hour of seriously freaking the fuck out I found out it was one of my USB hubs causing the problem. Unplugged it and all was well. :P

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was the Mobo. So I got a new one in a barebones kit and speant all day trying to get the bugger to work. All done now and its much MUCH faster than before as well :D

Thanks for the help guys :)

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!