As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Search. No, the other one.

mccmcc glitchRegistered User, ClubPA regular
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I am told Alphamonkey is partially responsible for the administration of the comics page as well?

It seems that pretty much none of the comics since like 2003 are actually accessible through the search interface. None of them seem to have ALT tags and none of them seem to turn up in search. Try searching for "devil may cry" (there was a devil may cry strip last week).

I suspect at some point whoever does the indexing text just stopped adding it at some point. If I or others were to volunteer to go through and add alt/indexing text for the last couple years of comics, would whoever is in charge of administrating be interested in this?

mcc on

• Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, that is due to tycho being lazy as all hell. You see that is about the time he stopped entering key words. I'm in the planning phases of making a community driven comic keyword entering system, but that is a ways off.

Let me talk to Robert about the idea of having a users update the strip search on a very limited basis. The idea above would be open to anyone with a forum account and, in theory, would let you enter the entire dialog and action into the search engine, then you could search for a comic where [Gabe] says [I'm going to punch you until candy comes out] It would have a moderated queue, and once in full swing would be pretty swanky. The interim solution would probably be a white page with an h1 that says "PA Strip Search Entry" and a form. I would probably only open it up to a handful of people, and I would require all posts to be approved by someone, probably robert.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    An interrim interrim suggestion is I'll do all the comics from 2003-2005 in a single go if you in some way give me access to do so for 6 hours tomorrow. I don't know if I'll enter good keywords, but I'll enter them.

Seriously. Spring break just started and I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow I'm not trying to avoid doing.

;shrugs; Just a thought :)

mcc on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    mcc wrote:
    An interrim interrim suggestion is I'll do all the comics from 2003-2005 in a single go if you in some way give me access to do so for 6 hours tomorrow. I don't know if I'll enter good keywords, but I'll enter them.

Seriously. Spring break just started and I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow I'm not trying to avoid doing.

;shrugs; Just a thought :)
    The thing is, right now... well... hmmm... For security reasons, I have to make you a separate page. PM me for a better picture.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    I'll volunteer for this aswell, since I have vacation coming up.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, that is due to tycho being lazy as all hell. You see that is about the time he stopped entering key words. I'm in the planning phases of making a community driven comic keyword entering system, but that is a ways off.

Let me talk to Robert about the idea of having a users update the strip search on a very limited basis. The idea above would be open to anyone with a forum account and, in theory, would let you enter the entire dialog and action into the search engine, then you could search for a comic where [Gabe] says [I'm going to punch you until candy comes out] It would have a moderated queue, and once in full swing would be pretty swanky. The interim solution would probably be a white page with an h1 that says "PA Strip Search Entry" and a form. I would probably only open it up to a handful of people, and I would require all posts to be approved by someone, probably robert.

I like the second idea way better. If you just let anyone enter keywords, you will have bedlam.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2005
    I would also be willing to assist, as I will have all of tommorow free.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Man, we don't just give out the keys to any teenager who wants to drive the Thunderbird!

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Dely Apple wrote:
    Man, we don't just give out the keys to any teenager who wants to drive the Thunderbird!

...but you've got a set.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    I'm sure the birds in the patr... treehouse would be more than willing.

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I think you should hold a bit of a contest to get one to three people to do the job. Do you really want to sort through a hundred entries for each comic, weeding out the best of the best?

OR you could just do an open for the first few comics, calculating the mean frequency of repeated responses that filters out from the less popular responses to make about ten responses repeated at least X number of times, and use that model to develop an algorithm that allows everyone to submit a form for all the PA comics, provided that there are no repeats, the population's potential is distributed normally, and that the mean potential of each sample approaches the mean potential of the entire population.

In short, find a magic number of repeated keywords that makes for a suitable set of keywords, and just make it so out of the total sum of everyone's responses, only the keywords with at least that number of repeats survives for each individual comic.

We can get started now if you develop a program that takes a standardized form made in notepad or something and parses it into a merged list in your program. Just give us the form format.

I mean, statisically, it would work, and you'd get the best representative sample, and the outcome would be a set of popular responses with a reasonable mean and variance that the team could skim through pretty easily. The most important aspect would be that the list would be golden for at least EVERYONE THAT SUBMITTED A FORM, since it is comprised of their most popular responses and not of a low sample of the few elite who think they know how all our minds work. That is the best solution.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Those kind of systems work great in theory Paladin, but tthen a big enough group of trolls works out what the number is and submits goatse links as they keywords that many times.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Also, it's a pain in the ass. It's better to have a handful of dedicated fans that you know to be trustworthy enough to not fuck around do it because then it actually gets done.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Orthanc wrote:
    Those kind of systems work great in theory Paladin, but tthen a big enough group of trolls works out what the number is and submits goatse links as they keywords that many times.
    Which is why I still advocate limiting it to forum members, although the statistical integrity would be compromised. And I strongly think that, even with that factor, employing it over the entire fan base would result in a small enough number of false entries that one look-over wouldn't fix. Plus, give everyone a limit of how many keywords they can make for each comic. The majority, no matter how small, always wins this scenario.
    to not fuck around do it

ERROR ERROR

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    The problem is of course that then "wang" will bring up every strip ever done, right? :P

Toast on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Toast wrote:
    The problem is of course that then "wang" will bring up every strip ever done, right? :P
    As it should.

Paladin on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    The majority, no matter how small, always wins this scenario.

Look at slashdot meta moderating for a counter example. Every now and again a group of trolls will get positive karma, then mod up trolls and down real posts, then meta mod each other's modding up and real modding down. It gets sorted out eventually, but it causes havoc in the short term.

The complexity of the system and the potential problems are completly unwarrented in this case, consider that people almost always search for one of there things
    - a line of the dialog
    - the game / situation the comic is based on
    - a special feature such as the watch

All of these can easily be covered by "a low sample of the few elite who think they know how all our minds work". Particularly if they keep an eye on the new comic stickey where these features are pointed out over and over.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    i think letting a dedicated group of fans do it sounds great.

I have often found myself wishing I could search for a front page or comic by a given keyword or game title

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    OR you could just do an open for the first few comics, calculating the mean frequency of repeated responses that filters out from the less popular responses to make about ten responses repeated at least X number of times, and use that model to develop an algorithm that allows everyone to submit a form for all the PA comics, provided that there are no repeats, the population's potential is distributed normally, and that the mean potential of each sample approaches the mean potential of the entire population.

This seems to be overthinking things a bit. I mean, seriously, we're talking about like thirty words a week here.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Fine. But you know my method is powerful enough to work much, much larger numbers than we're talking about. Which doesn't say much.

On a lighter note, it will finally give an extended usefulness to the forum, at least until Gabe or Tycho decide to do it themselves. After all, new comics keep coming. We could limit the entire function to the "new comic" thread.

Paladin on
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    It really is overkill to have a peer reviewed multiple submission system.

Even better.

In return for people clearing the backlog, Tycho starts again!

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Dely Apple wrote:

...but you've got a set.

You've got to learn when to steal Ramius' keys and run to Home Depot, and when not to. I knew when.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg