As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 12-24-08 Mind Fu Batman (Holiday Edition)

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're assuming that Loeb knows or cares about that. I doubt he has read a single Ultimate Universe comic in his life. Marvel probably provided him with a spreadsheet or something.

TeaSpoon on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They already have an out for all of these dead people in Ultimatum.

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

What is it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    On the Xavier/Magneto confrontation:
    I don't know. Isn't Xavier a telepath? Wouldn't he have...seen that coming and made some attempt to defend himself?
    Magneto's helmet blocks telepathy.

I like to imagine that, one Christmas, Xavier gave Magneto a helmet capable of protecting him from Xavier's mutant abilities and Magneto, in turn, gave Xavier a tie.

What if Loeb decides to turn it into a Newhart ending where it was all a vision implanted in Magneto's head by Xavier and none of the events transpired ever happened?

F BOMBS AWAY!

Slagmire on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still maintain that if Ultimatum had Morrison's name on it rather than Loeb's but had the exact same content you would all love it.

Anyway Thor was the best comic of the week and maybe the best comic of the year.

deadonthestreet on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Ha ha, Ultimatum was awful.

Ooo do tell. I'm curious as to how Loeb's fucking up the ultimate universe.

The fate of Janet Van Dyne (NSFW, I should say):

For fucks sake, Loeb.

Antimatter on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still maintain that if Ultimatum had Morrison's name on it rather than Loeb's but had the exact same content you would all love it.

Anyway Thor was the best comic of the week and maybe the best comic of the year.

But Morrison wouldn't slaughter characters like that. For starters, he would have a better artist!

Seperating Batman from Final Crisis wouldn't really work. You can't have a huge cataclysmic event and not have the tactical brains of the JLA not be there for it.

DouglasDanger on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That Blob scene is horrible.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008

People have had plenty of complaints about Final Crisis and Batman RIP

Ultimatum is shit. But nobody really cares as long as it doesn't affect Ultimate Spider-Man in any big ways because that's really all anyone cares about in the Ultimate line anymore

Garlic Bread on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, it could have Shakespeare on as the writer, Da Vinci as the artist, and Jesus H Christ doing the inks, and I'd still hate it. Massive offscreen kill-off, along with that Blob/Wasp scan is just pure shittyness. The Xavier/Magneto scene was better, but way too plodding.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Bad fan fiction is always going to be bad fan fiction.

We need to introduce you to some better comics.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008

Man back in the pre-computer day I could tell the difference between letterers. Compared to that, smelling a Loeb at fifty paces is child's play.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Bad fan fiction is always going to be bad fan fiction.

We need to introduce you to some better comics.
    Seriously, I was sick of Thor's Idiot Plot 3 books or so ago.

Fencingsax on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, the Invincible. Astonishing wolf-man cross over wasn't bad, per se, it just wasn't really good at all. If you read the both issues, it felt like the bulk of the book was one or the other main character standing around dictating the "perviously on" part of the story.

Though, I did enjoy
    Invincible beating the rest of the guardians up with Immortal.

werehippy on
  • ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. Ultimatum is... you know... wow. How the mighty have fallen, huh?

Remember when Loeb used to write good stuff?
    Yeah, me neither

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thorion wrote: »

Yeah, me neither

I used to like his Superman and I was quite fond of his Hush arc in Batman at the time.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think my moment of the week is this page here from New Avengers.
    Scan10458.jpg

Owenashi on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thorion wrote: »

Yeah, me neither

his color series are good, like Spider-Man: Blue

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Ha ha, Ultimatum was awful.

Ooo do tell. I'm curious as to how Loeb's fucking up the ultimate universe.

The fate of Janet Van Dyne (NSFW, I should say):
    001b0w71

Xavier confronts Magneto:
    001b15pf

001b2shh

001b3e3k

To be fair... that's how Magneto should have handled Xavier a long, long time ago.

But seriously... the "scorched earth" approach to Ultimatum is both depressing and without subtlety.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited December 2008
    That's kind of my problem with the scene. If you make it seem that easy, then the reader can't help but wonder why it didn't happen earlier.
    The least he could've done is had Magneto show the slightest sign of regret, which would make the act seem that much harder

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's kind of my problem with the scene. If you make it seem that easy, then the reader can't help but wonder why it didn't happen earlier.
    The least he could've done is had Magneto show the slightest sign of regret, which would make the act seem that much harder

yeah, that's one thing that was always lacking from the Ultimate Magneto. He's just cartoon evil, without a hint of humanity in him.

616 Mags is more complex. Maybe a little too complex, but you can clearly see that's the better way to go.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

What is it?

The scene with Thor and Cap. You do the math.

Algertman on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I think my moment of the week is this page here from New Avengers.
    Scan10458.jpg
    Meh, Cage's stupidity was too distracting for me to really like the issue, although I agree that one moment was great because only of Sue.

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, it seemed like Bendis got as far as, "Wouldn't it be interesting if Cage did this?" without ever asking, "Why would Cage do this, exactly?"
    Why is Osborn his best chance at finding his kid?

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, it seemed like Bendis got as far as, "Wouldn't it be interesting if Cage did this?" without ever asking, "Why would Cage do this, exactly?"
    Cage knows that Osborn has the resources to help him, even more so than the Secret Avengers.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited December 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Cage knows that Osborn has the resources to help him, even more so than the Secret Avengers.
    Yes, because Osborne would never hold the baby hostage for Cage's behavior. For example.

Fencingsax on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes, because Osborne would never hold the baby hostage for Cage's behavior. For example.

I'll agree that Cage isn't acting very rationally but let's face it, he doesn't have many other options.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited December 2008

I'll agree that Cage isn't acting very rationally but let's face it, he doesn't have many other options.
    Well, he didn't even bother asking any psychic, or someone to track the baby itself, or Danny Rand, who also has huge resources, and so on.

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2008

Well, he didn't even bother asking any psychic, or someone to track the baby itself, or Danny Rand, who also has huge resources, and so on.
    Yeah, Osborn only has the best resources in one respect, which is to say he has access to more super-villains and mundane forces than anyone else.

But the FBI and CIA aren't the people to turn to for finding a Skrull, and you don't want Venom looking for your kid either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah, Osborn only has the best resources in one respect, which is to say he has access to more super-villains and mundane forces than anyone else.

But the FBI and CIA aren't the people to turn to for finding a Skrull, and you don't want Venom looking for your kid either.
    Well we know whatever alliance Cage and Osborn make falls apart an issue or two later when the Dark Avengers come into play. For all we know, Cage could be trying some sort of con-job on Osborn.

Owenashi on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so were there any other deaths in Ultimatum #2?

Diablo Fett on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just want to confirm that Ultimatum #2 did indeed suck ass.

I hate how Reed Richards was all, "Namor! I know your responsible for all this eventhough I have no evidence to support my accusations." I know that Reed is upset about what happened to Sue, but in the past they have usually shown him to be more calm and collected in a time of crisis.

And the thing with Wasp was just wrong on so many levels.
    Blob eats people now?!? WTF!?!

Thankfully, USM #129 was just the thing I needed to remind me why I like the Ultimate universe.

Johnny Storm flirting with Spider-Woman was funny stuff.:lol:

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

yeah, that's one thing that was always lacking from the Ultimate Magneto. He's just cartoon evil, without a hint of humanity in him.

616 Mags is more complex. Maybe a little too complex, but you can clearly see that's the better way to go.

I don't understand why a guy like Xavier wouldn't carry some kind of defensive weapon either on his person or in his chair, like a pistol. He could have some ceramic bullets, or a laser pistol or even a taser.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008

I don't understand why a guy like Xavier wouldn't carry some kind of defensive weapon either on his person or in his chair, like a pistol. He could have some ceramic bullets, or a laser pistol or even a taser.

Especially after the whole "Stairs." thing.

werehippy on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    See you're making the classic mistake and assuming that Loeb knows or cares about prior events.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    werehippy wrote: »

Especially after the whole "Stairs." thing.

So at the very least a 'I've fallen and I can't get up!' button pendant.

anywho....MOTW for me, buying every single Hellboy TPB (8) and thinking 'oh ho! tis reading will last me for my entire holidays'....cut to 14 hours later: I'm lying on the floor, there are books everywhere, my brain is engorged with awesome and i'm pretty sure I owe Mignola my first born.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Thankfully, USM #129 was just the thing I needed to remind me why I like the Ultimate universe.

And I liked her costume, too. Here's to hoping Loeb doesn't fridge her as well. Or at least that nothing in Ultimatum sticks to the USM characters.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited December 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Ninjabear wrote: »

And I liked her costume, too. Here's to hoping Loeb doesn't fridge her as well. Or at least that nothing in Ultimatum sticks to the USM characters.

Well
    Johnny is still presumed dead, isn't he? There's an out, considering they recovered Dr Storm's body and not his, but we aren't clear yet.

werehippy on
    edited December 2008
    Seeing as in USM time, he's about to enter the 1st Ultimates storyline in terms of relative time (I think), Bendis can ignore Ultimatum for as long as he wants, I think.

Fencingsax on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not according to solicits for USM.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg