As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Local gaming group?

HammsHamms Registered User new member
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good gaming group in the Eugene, Oregon area. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Hamms on

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Face any direction. Walk until you aren't in Oregon. I can't guarantee you'll find a gaming group, but your quality of life will improve immensely.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I take it someone doesn't like trees and hippies and the cold, cold ocean.

Hamms on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The trees are okay.

Look in your phone book under "games". Call around until you find a place that carries minis or RPGs or whatever it is you play. Ask them if they know of any public groups, or if they have a game room. If they can't help you, that store doesn't deserve to not be burned to the ground. You may have to go to the library and look through books for other nearby areas.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I will check those options out, but it is always cool to have a "connection" into the group. Of course, I am just asking for pointers in some forum online, so ....

Nevertheless, if anyone does know of any specific groups in the area, I'd like to know.

Hamms on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Try just showing up to one. It's a different sort of situation. If it's and RPG, show up about an hour to talk to the GM about being included. Don't be surprised if you're exiled to the 'watcher's stool' or equivalent. Bring treats if they're allowed in the gaming room in order to engraciate yourself with the locals.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Good luck, I lived in Eugene for a year and I could never find anything in the realm of gaming groups.

Heck, I live in Portland now and the closest good group near me is a thirty minute drive up to Battle Ground above Vancouver.

edit: Merry early Christmas from your new friend Archgarth

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/143771

Linky to boardgamegeek thread about a Eugene Games Gala.

Knock'em dead kid :)

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There may be a yahoo or google group for gaming in your area, you might check there as well.

I typically will try to stay as far away from game store gamers as possible. In my experience, about 80% of the people that play there do so because no one would ever, ever let them at their home table.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aw, now why did I not think to check BGG? Thanks a bunch, man. And yeah, the reason I'd been hesitating to take the game store option is that most of the people who associate regularly with our local comic/game shops kinda' creep me out. Eurogame types who play D&D; that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link!

Hamms on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You can check the bulletin boards at game stores. Try at Emerald City Comics near campus, I know they have a bulletin board. I hear you about playing at game stores, I just played Pirates of the Spanish Main today at Evolution Gaming (We need the big tables). Good god, people need to learn basic hygiene. Thankfully no one I associate with, but they still polluted my air.

I don't have much time to play (grad school), otherwise I'd have more personal advice.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    There may be a yahoo or google group for gaming in your area, you might check there as well.

I typically will try to stay as far away from game store gamers as possible. In my experience, about 80% of the people that play there do so because no one would ever, ever let them at their home table.

I found the *one* store stocking Games Workshop items in my metropolitan area by entering my city name and some TT-related words into Google. Got linked to a gaming store/club message board post from a guy talking about a Barnes & Noble 40k clearance sale that was 'cleared out by somebody who came left.'

That 'somebody' was essentially my friend and I. For having 150,000 people this sure is a small fucking town.

EDIT: Of course every time I stop by they don't have primer in stock and everyone's playing Magic.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, you'd think with 20,000+ college kids here, we'd have more gaming groups. I've been here for six months or so now, and I know of Evolution over on 24th and Hilyard for the cardboard addicts and Big City Gamin' downtown for the video gamer types that like going out in public.

Around the university itself, there isn't much, surprisingly. I occasionally go to the chess club meetings on Fridays in the EMU, and I hear that the annual EMULan is a good way to meet fellow gamers. Additionally, The Break seems to be a minor nerd center, but ymmv down there. I've made a few gamer friends since moving here, but haven't had any luck getting together the "game group" of legend, wherein 8-10 people get together weekly for all-night gaming action.

thatnerdyguy on