As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Reader: should I keep it? -- decided

Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
For Christmas I received one of those electronic book readers -- this particular model made by Sony. Now I know absolutely nothing about these things because, quite frankly, I was never terribly interested in them and the price point always turned me off. But this one was a gift from my mother and she has said, in all sincerity, that she knows I was never sure about them and if I don't want it, I should take it back. At 400 dollars, that's a lot of food I could buy if I took it back.

But I had some questions about it first. I think it's a cool concept but it's hard to say how much use I'll get out of it. I do a good bit of reading, both for pleasure and studies, so having a large number of books in a small, electronic device sounds like a good deal. But one thing I hate is staring at a computer monitor, reading black text on a white background -- it's like staring at a light bulb. I have heard that the Sony Reader is side-lit rather than back-lit -- does this make a big difference? Also, is it possible to change background/text color? That would solve the whole problem on its own.

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not you own one and if it was a good purchase? As I said, part of me likes the convenience, but I also like having a physical book in my hand and on my bookshelf -- especially if I can go buy old editions with fancy covers and what not. And I suppose I still can but it kind of defeats the point. So basically I'm just asking if anyone else can recommend the Reader and why. Because right now, I'm just having trouble justifying the 400 dollars.

Vi Monks on

• Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It sounds like you have the new PRS-700. I requested a Sony E-reader for Christmas, but I specifically asked for the PRS-505.

I held a 700 series, and due to the touch screen nature of it, the screen looked much less crisp and significantly hazier than the 505 counterpart.

With that being said, I love my 505. I've been doing a significant amount of reading lately, and it's so handy to have so many books in one compact package. It's hard to give specific reasons as to why I like it, it's just one of those things where use and tell yourself "Hey, this feels right."

Honestly, the best part is just being able to hold a light portable device with one hand and read.

I'll also throw in that the PRS-505 is $270.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As for the lighting issue, it's not like looking at a computer moniter. You can turn the light off if you want. The readers don't have a conventional screen, it's like they print the page each time you turn it. It feels just like reading off of paper.

I've never once regretted having mine. I read a lot and travel a lot, though. For something this niche, I think its worth to you depends on how much you'd use what it has to offer. If you think you'll be doing lots of reading while away from your book collection, I think it's worth it.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I rather enjoyed ebooks on my ipaq (before a bath-tub related incident,) and I've once again fallen in love with them after installing stanza on my iphone.

If you read a lot, you might very well appreciate the device, but I don't think you'll really know until you try it.

Stanza allows you to change text and page colour (so you can fight off painful contrast) and I don't doubt the Sony in question is capable of the same things, just to address that specific concern.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always read quite a bit, so I picked up a 505 in june but I was kinda skeptical about how much i'd use it...Turns out its increased my reading tenfold and I can't imagine not having it now. Definitely the most use i've gotten out of any electronic device. and as has been said, the screen is nothing all like a computer monitor. I've hit the point where I can barely stand to read regular books now, so bulky and turning pages feels so archaic D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always read quite a bit, so I picked up a 505 in june but I was kinda skeptical about how much i'd use it...Turns out its increased my reading tenfold and I can't imagine not having it now. Definitely the most use i've gotten out of any electronic device. and as has been said, the screen is nothing all like a computer monitor. I've hit the point where I can barely stand to read regular books now, so bulky and turning pages feels so archaic D:

Damn those cavemans and their real paper!

One day they should learn how to be more civilized!

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well thanks for everyone's help. I got a chance to try one out and just decided it wasn't for me. I like the archaic page-turning too much to put all my books in this new-fangled magic box. But thanks for the informative replies anyway. Now what to do with these 400 dollars....

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    honestly, if you read alot, get a 505. its my faveorite tech purcchase of all time. wife and i each have one now. i read a lot, and its great to have a few hardcover books with me at all times when they only take up the space of 1/2 a magazine. Gotta admit it has really increased my reading volumes by 100% as well.

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really love my e-reader, its a kindle, for reading things like fiction or non-fiction. I wouldn't recommend ever any under circumstance though getting anything that you will use as a reference book or study guide. I bought a book to brush up on my math and having to go back and forth between pages is a real pain. If you read a lot though it is nice to have mainly because it cuts way down on storage space.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!