Options

[Heroes] Season 3: Vote Worf to Eliminate Heroes '08 (spoilers)

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm just noticing this, but I guess the Haitian's power really is selective? Because if not, then Sylar shouldn't have been able to stop the bullet with TK because the Haitian was in the room, right? The Haitian can't have given out, because then Arthur would have just been able to send the bullet away/teleport/whatever. So it has to be...

But! the Haitian has shut down the powers of people in his immediate area that he wasn't even aware of before. So it can't be selective...

Ough...

We've apparently decided that it is both. He can do a targeted effect, or an AoE, depending on the will of the writers.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He can shut down one class 5 mutant or a whole bunch of class 1 mutants.

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, it's probably worth noting that Arthur and Sylar were the two most powerful individual people on the planet at the time, so both at once might've sprained something.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't been following the thread, but I have finished watching Season 3 now. Is it generally understood
    Hiro is completely without powers now? And with the formula destroyed, he's pretty much fucked?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't been following the thread, but I have finished watching Season 3 now. Is it generally understood
    Hiro is completely without powers now? And with the formula destroyed, he's pretty much fucked?
    Yes. Unless my theory about Hiro's powers coming back via Ando-boosting pans out.

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »

actually the fault of all this nonsense is primarily jeph loeb's, not tim kring's

That's what they want you to believe, but there's no way all of this is Loeb's fault. Kring's as much to blame, if not moreseo, than all the other horrible writers on the team.

Read "Ultimate's 3(by loeb)" and count the amount of stupid plot lines it shares with Heroes.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »

actually the fault of all this nonsense is primarily jeph loeb's, not tim kring's

That's what they want you to believe, but there's no way all of this is Loeb's fault. Kring's as much to blame, if not moreseo, than all the other horrible writers on the team.

Read "Ultimate's 3(by loeb)" and count the amount of stupid plot lines it shares with Heroes.

Nonsense! I mean, in Heroes season 2 there's no creepy brother/sister relationshi.... hey... wait a minutes...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    Chekov's Gun isn't just about some minor detail from earlier on becoming a surprise turning point later down the road. It's not about Magwitch from Great Expectations, though many have interpreted it that way.

Chekov's Gun is specifically about how annoying it is when Sylar is presented with a new unique ability for him to devour (knowing the history of an object), but then it never comes up again and he never uses it. You don't do that. It sucks for the audience.

The bigger problem is the fact that not only did he not use that power, but that that he had the perfect opportunity to. Sylar has object-history power, plus intuitive aptitude. His goal is to "discover the truth," and he has two perfect abilities to utilize towards that goal. Three if you factor in the fact that he has unlimited resources from his alchemy powers, and can bribe/hire as many people as he sees fit. Yet the only solution they can come up for him is, "Hey, let's have him steal the power of an entirely brand new character, who conveniently lives in the same area code and does exactly what he needs it to do on the exact day that he needs it."

And then you remember that he's a crazy psychopath.
    a crazy psychopath who's power is understanding the working of complex systems, which means its still wierd when he disregards logic when it comes to getting what he wanted.

How is understanding complex systems related to acting rationally? Does an advanced degree in mechanical engineering come with a certification that you're a totally rational person?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    Chekov's Gun isn't just about some minor detail from earlier on becoming a surprise turning point later down the road. It's not about Magwitch from Great Expectations, though many have interpreted it that way.

Chekov's Gun is specifically about how annoying it is when Sylar is presented with a new unique ability for him to devour (knowing the history of an object), but then it never comes up again and he never uses it. You don't do that. It sucks for the audience.

The bigger problem is the fact that not only did he not use that power, but that that he had the perfect opportunity to. Sylar has object-history power, plus intuitive aptitude. His goal is to "discover the truth," and he has two perfect abilities to utilize towards that goal. Three if you factor in the fact that he has unlimited resources from his alchemy powers, and can bribe/hire as many people as he sees fit. Yet the only solution they can come up for him is, "Hey, let's have him steal the power of an entirely brand new character, who conveniently lives in the same area code and does exactly what he needs it to do on the exact day that he needs it."

And then you remember that he's a crazy psychopath.
    a crazy psychopath who's power is understanding the working of complex systems, which means its still wierd when he disregards logic when it comes to getting what he wanted.

How is understanding complex systems related to acting rationally? Does an advanced degree in mechanical engineering come with a certification that you're a totally rational person?

I think he means that someone who sees the best way for things to work should see more efficient alternatives to slicing people open, especially when his hunger drives him to simply attain and understand them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What I mean is that slicing open heads shouldn't be analogous to "The Heart of the Cards" on "Yugioh," where Sylar just happens to locate the exact power he needs at the exact time and place when he needs it. Especially when he could make do without it.

Hey, Sylar wants to discover whether or not Arthur is his real dad? I'm sure that a skilled mystery writers could have planted all sorts of clues for Sylar to investigate with his object reading power, and it's not like the writers of Heroes are strangers to the use of flashbacks. They could have brought in someone from the now-cancelled "The Dead Zone" to write an episode. They specialize in that very sort of storytelling.

Or heck, if you want to be really straight forward, try a DNA test. It's a show where DNA and biology are major themes, where Sylar has accumulated a vast amount of knowledge in the area, to the extent where he can manipulate his own DNA through sheer force of knowledge (don't ask.). Yet Sylar doesn't know anything about running a paternity test? The writers have never seen Law & Order? It's even sillier when you consider that both his and Nathan's entire genome is on the public record (which is how they ended up on the list in the first place.). Which means that Sylar could have just hired someone to go online and check to see if they had the same father. He has unlimited gold, I think he can afford to bribe someone.

The first suggestion works better on a dramatic level, the second suggestion works better on a logic level. What the writers chose is a story-line which doesn't work on either level, and which was practically a Deus Ex Machina. Not to mention the unfired Chekhov gun that other people have already mentioned.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    And you just know in episode five next season, somebody's going to tell Sylar a lie, and he'll go right along with it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Indeed, giving someone the power NOT to be manipulated?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And you just know in episode five next season, somebody's going to tell Sylar a lie, and he'll go right along with it.
    And then the writers will give their standard response of, "We thought about it, but then we decided to ignore it. For the story."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the problem with Sylar not going out and getting exactly the power he needed it time. He could have done all those things, but that would have required another episode in itself to see him running all over the place getting clues. Could they have stretched everyone else's storyline out a whole extra episode? I suppose they probably could have cut an episode's worth of unused plotlines.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Via Jack Coleman's Blog:
    On Heroes, we have come to the end of Volume 3 -- "Villains." We return the day after the Super Bowl with Volume 4 -- "Fugitives." It starts with episode 14, "A Clear and Present Danger," written by Tim Kring and directed by Greg Yaitanes. All reports are that it is one of the best episodes we've done to date. Greg is a superior director, Tim has written a taut script and from what I've heard and seen it looks like a feature and plays like gangbusters all the way through.

Although the themes remain big in the next volume, there is a return to more intimate storytelling, more character driven, with more emphasis on relationships. We get back to what made the show special in the first place -- character first, ability second. The show is at its best when the drama takes precedence over the effects. Everyone is in agreement about this. There will be lots of action and excitement but we will tell fewer stories per episode which means each story is told in more depth, especially as the volume progresses.

Bryan Fuller returns in episode 20. It's great to have him back. I am really optimistic about the next volume and where we are headed. There's no doubt in my mind that we are on the right track. The scripts are strong. The stories are compelling and relatable. I'm excited.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, it's probably worth noting that Arthur and Sylar were the two most powerful individual people on the planet at the time, so both at once might've sprained something.

I just figured the Haiten didn't want to drop his focus off of Arthur because A. Of the two, Sylar is the lesser threat in the long run and B. Sylar, at that moment, had the best chance of killing Arthur.

But realistically, the Haitan's ability has been the least consistent power on the show since day one (with the possible exception of time travel in general.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19177
    “How does a healer die? if Hiro's mom is a healer, why was she not able to heal herself? Will we see more of Hiro's mom?”

Don’t you think if she could heal herself that she would? Apparently that didn’t work. Maybe it’s a mystery Hiro will be looking into later. However, there are no immediate plans to bring the talented Tamilyn Tomito back.
    That's not really an answer, is it?
    2) “Did Claire and Hiro change the past, or did they simply play their parts in a past that had already happened?”

They changed the past.
    Didn't Isaac already depict them in the past in issue number one? And does this mean that Claire really was the catalyst before hand?
    “Can you tell us why Sylar killed Elle when with his powers fully on he allowed her to blow his skin off (‘Its Coming’) and clearly loved her as Gabriel? Did the Eclipse, plus Elle not being immediately frank about his parentage, remove the empathy developed between them? Did it ignite his Sylar persona as a defense mechanism?”

Sylar tried to be someone else. For Angela. For Arthur. And for Elle. He truly did love her. But, if the eclipse proved anything – it’s that people are incapable of changing. Elle saw him when he was weak and that he didn’t want witnessed. But more importantly, Elle messed with him, tried to change him and she suffered. Arthur also tried to manipulate him, and he suffered. Next up – Angela.
    Huh? Sylar killed Elle, who he first met when he was damned near ready to kill himself, because he didn't want to look weak?

And that was the intended purpose of the eclipse? To show that people can't change? Wow. Just... wow.
    “If the catalyst was indeed in Hiro, what was it exactly that Sylar saw in Claire's brain? And if it was the catalyst Sylar saw, why then were events not thrown out of whack? Or was that event not an influential enough butterfly to step on?”

If Sylar looked at our heads right now he would see exploding from that question. Let’s go “not an influential enough butterfly.”
    You guys really thought this one through.

OT, did anyone else think that Peter was a major douchebag for not letting Mohinder inject himself with the formula? Mohinder has already been injected with an inferior strain. Peter went to the future and saw what happened to him. Why in the world wouldn't he simply let Mohinder inject himself?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OT, did anyone else think that Peter was a major douchebag for not letting Mohinder inject himself with the formula? Mohinder has already been injected with an inferior strain. Peter went to the future and saw what happened to him. Why in the world wouldn't he simply let Mohinder inject himself?

Totally.

Though had I been Mohinder, I would have just slowly stated.

"Peter. I'm DYING. If I don't inject myself I'M GOING TO DIE. Waving a gun in my face isn't a huge deterrent at this point." *inject*

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Because the formula is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! :P

I also thought it was kind of a douche move.

What I didn't understand was this: Arthur knew (or was pretty damn sure) Claire was the catalyst; why didn't he just time travel and take it from Hiro's mom as soon as he knew a catalyst was needed?

cytorak on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

That's my main beef with the show. I think the writers were reading too many wolverine comics. It's the same thing that happens to wolverine all the time.

1) Nobody can outright kill him
    2) He is too valuable of a weapon to just kill off
    3) He is easily manipulated, thus he does the dirty work of anybody
    4) He wants answers to his past
    5) The fans like him

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Totally.

Though had I been Mohinder, I would have just slowly stated.

"Peter. I'm DYING. If I don't inject myself I'M GOING TO DIE. Waving a gun in my face isn't a huge deterrent at this point." *inject*

Haha, good point. Not to mention the fact that he has amazing Spider strength and Spider agility at this point. Have you ever seen Spider-Man get intimidated by someone with a gun? Especially someone who wasn't really a killer at heart.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    except... he wasn't going to die? he was alive well into the future. way to go writers!

anyway I'm watching the finale as we speak.

some highlights:

we can both get a... broken heart

let's trash the place!
    *knocks over a table*
    yeah!
    *knocks over a shelf*

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Slyar: RAWR I'M A MONSTER I'M A MONSTER RAWR

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh my gosh you'll have to shoot meredith

or knock her unconcious?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    WELL ACCORDING TO EINSTEIN IT WOULD

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hmm... I'm sure this was relevant three weeks ago.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    let me have my fun

i wasn't able to watch it

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sylar is confirmed for surviving?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    or knock her unconcious?
    This was the logical course of action.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »

Are you asking that sarcastically?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No? I was wondering if you guys were making assumptions or if there was a press conference or something.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As mentioned earlier, its practically the Sylar and Friends show. Sylar will be in there, I bet my penis on it.

Fuck, I bet hes in the first episode.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    god

i do not buy nathan at all. All of the dangerous people are dead. It seemed like he went to the president simply because the script told him to.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Sylar's back in future episodes. I forget where I read this spoiler, but it was pretty well confirmed.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, Sylar's confirmed in future episodes. There are shots of him from the set in full SWAT gear and they're bringing in Lex Luthor's dad from Smallville to play his dad.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No? I was wondering if you guys were making assumptions or if there was a press conference or something.

Even if it wasn't confirmed, the fact that the writers are spineless and the fact that Sylar was killed in such a way that we know he can come back should be enough for people to conclude that, yeah, he's probably coming back.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a question. It is an important question.

WHO THE FUCK HEALED NATHAN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON!?

He was shot, died, then came back to life.

Maury made him believe it was Linderman, but it was confirmed that was just an illusion.

So, does anyone know? Cause I can't figure it out, and thats kind of a gaping hole in the plot.

Sepah on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sepah wrote: »

Maury made him believe it was Linderman, but it was confirmed that was just an illusion.

So, does anyone know? Cause I can't figure it out, and thats kind of a gaping hole in the plot.

God.

Greeper on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Sepah wrote: »

God.

:x

Sepah on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, to be fair, we know how nathan healed from his horrible disfiguring burns... who's to say it doesn't squirrel itself away in your system and come out to heal you when you are fucked... kind of like a beneficial acid flashback?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...