As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV Comicking Tournament Redux? Come Share Your Ideas

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Graphic Violence
Last year's GV comic tournament was pretty awesome, at least until it fizzled out and ended without any resolution. As you may recall, the participants chose a character as their champion, and were then pitted against one another in themed comic duels. The winner of each bout was determined by vote. This was a pretty simple and reasonable way of conducting the tournament, assuming that everyone turned in their pages on time. This is probably why the tournament was never completed. :P

That said, I propose we revive the tournament, or something like it, that will give us an excuse to create some comics. Instead of a tournament, we could have a "relay", wherein each creator team is responsible for a part of the story and setting up things for the next team. We could use licensed characters, but I personally think just making up some new ones would probably be a better idea. Either way, if anyone is interested, or you have some ideas about how we could conduct this project, reply in this thread. Hopefully we can get rolling towards the end of the week.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you say "we" but who is going to be the sole person to tally the votes, moderate the thread, and oversee the direction of the tournament. I think that's why it fizzled out, on top of no one turning in their work on time. It takes a lot of time and dedication for the person running the whole thing.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, I think it'd go so much easier if we did away with the tournament aspect. But if it came down to it, I'd be fine keeping up with the votes and minding the deadlines.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't say I didn't have fun with it last time, but it's definitely a huge time commitment. The last few months probably haven't been kind to my already pitiful drawing skills, either.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    How is your idea any different than your Comic Creators Thread?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure about my own participation, but one thing I'd suggest is making it so people don't sign up by posting their intent to participate in the first round, but rather by posting the entry to the first round itself. This will ensure that everyone who plays is capable of completing at least one entry before succumbing to real world obligations or simple creative despair.

Also, any format that allows an entrant to simply disappear from the face of the Earth without the tournament itself being all that adversely affected is what we ought to shoot for. Given that, I'm not sure about the relay idea, as one person neglecting to participate would delay things by days and two people disappearing, especially if it's two in a row, would outright kill the thing.

My own suggestion would be to have the organizer issue a challenge at the start of each round in the vein of, "Your hero needs to do so and so, and how you do it is up to you," and then leave the contestants to compete indirectly by completing the task in the most inventive manner they can rather than directly or in tandem with one another, where the unexpected departure of an entrant affects the performance of the others.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »

People might actually participate in this one? Especially if we use licensed characters.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I'd like to but I barely have the time to do my own comic-y things.

Plus, I inevitably participate in these things, churn out a bunch of crap really quickly, and then hate how it turns out.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

People might actually participate in this one? Especially if we use licensed characters.

If it's a tournament, maybe

But you said "We can just do without the tournament thing and people can just write/draw comics maybe with licensed characters but I'd rather it was our own stuff"

which is uh

your comic creators thread

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Eh, fair enough. At this point, I like Robos idea for the competition. Seems a bit easier to make work.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Right now is a terrible time for a tournament, what with the holidays and all. Maybe after New Year's

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's very true, though there's no reason wwtmask can't gauge interest and settle on a format now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm thinking a bi-monthly themed challenge. There should be a minimum page count, something low like 3 or 4 pages. There'll be no restrictions on characters used. Judging can be either through a poll or by everyone rating every comic submitted and averaging the ratings. The theme for each round will be randomly selected from a pool of themes that anyone in the thread can add to.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd be down for it. I think my art has improved a lot since the last one (I actually learned how to use the damn tablet).

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I actually intend to enter at least one challenge as both writer and artist. I'm a glutton for punishment. D:

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I would do both. I just need a good character.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sentry

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Sentry

He said a good character.
    I kid.....mostly.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Don't make me cry, Mask.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My Sentry would spend the entire issue hiding in his bathroom, crying to himself.

Then Carnage would try to come in to use the john and Sentry would rip him in half.

In fact, an entire issue where Sentry just goes around ripping people in half might be kinda funny.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Actually, I give that the Sentry Seal of Approval.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i'm pretty sure he was joking in the first place, mask. Edit: oh or maybe he wasn't? I don't know anymore.

Also 3 or 4 pages? Of like, a comic? Even cut down to twice a month that seems like a lot for two dudes to work on for a forum thing. I mean it's not that hard to write up a little essay or short story thing where batman beats the red tornado with his dirty laundry and here's why. Making an actual comic where that happens is difficult, especially when you're working with someone else.

And then it's he didn't finish god damn it or you never sent in the written part I'm flying blind here I can't work in these conditions i will be in my trailer.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Needs more zombie Lindy. Actually, I'd like to read a story starring Zombie Sentry.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Langly wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure he was joking in the first place, mask. Edit: oh or maybe he wasn't? I don't know anymore.

Also 3 or 4 pages? Of like, a comic? Even cut down to twice a month that seems like a lot for two dudes to work on for a forum thing. I mean it's not that hard to write up a little essay or short story thing where batman beats the red tornado with his dirty laundry and here's why. Making an actual comic where that happens is difficult, especially when you're working with someone else.

And then it's he didn't finish god damn it or you never sent in the written part I'm flying blind here I can't work in these conditions i will be in my trailer.

Come one, 3 pages is easy. Six panel grid means you'd be drawing, at the most, 18 panels. I think you should be able to manage that in 14 days. Judicious use of splash pages makes it even easier.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No you're right, I was.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Come one, 3 pages is easy. Six panel grid means you'd be drawing, at the most, 18 panels. I think you should be able to manage that in 14 days. Judicious use of splash pages makes it even easier.

can the three pages include a two-page splash?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Needs more zombie Lindy. Actually, I'd like to read a story starring Zombie Sentry.

isn't that how Marvel Zombies started?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

can the three pages include a two-page splash?

Sure, it's your comic.

smokmnky wrote: »

isn't that how Marvel Zombies started?

Yeah, zombie Sentry started it off. I'd just like to see what madcap hijinks he gets up to when he's not biting superheroes and eating people.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is this still in the works.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is if anyone is interested.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How about you throw out a rough idea of the thing's structure, then have sign-ups?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm imagining a MadLibs sort of setup, where we have a list of villains, a list of heroes, a list of MacGuffins, a and list of scenarios, then randomly combine them to complete a plot synopsis for each challenge.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mask is gonna get a blue lantern ring.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm still in, just let me know when and where.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I'm going to start compiling suggestions for each of the following categories, and there are no restrictions on any of them.

Heroes
    Villains
    MacGuffins
    Goals\Motivations

The MadLib synopsis will be something in this vein: "Spider-Man is trying to obtain the Elder Wand to stop Lex Luthor from disappearing Australia.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Heroes
    Spider-Man
    Batman
    Superman
    Wolverine
    Deadpool (maybe as a villain, depends)
    The Punisher
    She Hulk
    Thor

Villains
    The Joker
    Stilt Man
    Rhino
    Lex Luthor
    Scarecrow
    Omega Red
    Dr Octopus

I'm basically just listing characters I would want to write.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hero: Plastic Man
    Villain: The Spot
    MacGuffin: King Solomon's Frogs
    Goals/Motivations: Change all the faces on Mount Rushmore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My relatively poor knowledge of DC characters is going to bite me in the ass, I can already see that.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was involved with a previous tournament. This is a script that i wrote was drawn by ENERjAKzero

Here's the comic:
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3copy.jpg

4copy.jpg

5copy.jpg

6-1.jpg

tombomb666 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Question versus The Answer.