As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BZZZZZT says the PS3

ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I have a problem that I have tolerated for a while but now it has become downright maddening.

I have a PS3 hooked up to an 36' JVC analog TV on a composite cable (yellow, white red). Whenever I have it hooked up to my TV and plug it into the wall I can hear a buzzing noise coming from the speakers of my TV. when I switch the TV over to the input that the PS3 is on the buzzing gets louder and there are white see through bars that scroll from the bottom of the screen to the top.

Things I've tried.

Different Cables. Same problem
Plug in the cables one at a time. Still buzzing even with only the Video cable plugged in.
Tried different systems. Only the PS3 buzzes any other system is fine.

So I guess what I am asking is
Is there a way to fix this? Is there a setting I missed?
Is this typical Behavior of a PS3 on an Analog TV?
When I get a new TV this year will I have the same issue on an HDMI cable?

Thanks!

Artoria on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    I have a problem that I have tolerated for a while but now it has become downright maddening.

I have a PS3 hooked up to an 36' JVC analog TV on a composite cable (yellow, white red). Whenever I have it hooked up to my TV and plug it into the wall I can hear a buzzing noise coming from the speakers of my TV. when I switch the TV over to the input that the PS3 is on the buzzing gets louder and there are white see through bars that scroll from the bottom of the screen to the top.

Things I've tried.

Different Cables. Same problem
    Plug in the cables one at a time. Still buzzing even with only the Video cable plugged in.
    Tried different systems. Only the PS3 buzzes any other system is fine.

So I guess what I am asking is
    Is there a way to fix this? Is there a setting I missed?
    Is this typical Behavior of a PS3 on an Analog TV?
    When I get a new TV this year will I have the same issue on an HDMI cable?

Thanks!

1. That's a big fuckin' TV bro, can I come over to watch the Super Bowl?
    2. Sounds like your TV is dying a slow, horrible death, and it's just more sensitive to some signals than others.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hammer2.jpg

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like a TV issue, have you tried a different set of inputs (if one is available)?

You shouldn't have the issue when you get a new TV.

capnrico on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have an older 52" rear projection TV that does the same thing while running my PS3 over it. I've run it in 480p, 480i and 1080i and had the same issue over all three settings.

As for question #3; It works flawless on my new HD set over HDMI.

I can't answer your first question as I can't figure it out myself (Though it's worse when I run it over component on that particular set) it does seem to be a TV issue (or a PS3 issue with certain sets). If you find any sort of solution, lemme know? My HD set is both smaller and in a bedroom so the old TV runs Rock Band where I've got the space for foolish antics.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you tried unplugging all the other cables from the TV and just use the PS3? I've had issues with systems like that where it was almost like there was interference from other cables being generated when plugged into the back of the TV. It was really bad w/ my Wii.

GungHo on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if you could have dirty power. Both the xbox and wii have external power supplies, while the ps3 is internal. So that may be why you can hear the interference on it and not the others. I would try a better, higher end power strip. (Power conditioner or ups would be ideal)

Yeah HDMI wouldn't have a problem, neither would optical since they are impervious to interference.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    BretzyBretzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like interference to me. I would suggest changing the layout of the entertainment center, maybe move the ps3 away from the TV and see if that helps. Also, try a different set of AV cables, or a higher resolution input (if available).

Bretzy on
    Even tho I seek perfection, I wear my scars with pride.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    thanks for the suggestions I have a UPS on my PC so I'll try that tonight and see what it does. I'll also try unhooking the other components to see if that works.

the TV is about 8 years old so it's age might be the issue as well.

Artoria on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It sounds like you have a ground loop issue. Something is passing its ground to the PS3 through the television, creating a ground loop that captures radio signals, giving an audible buzz and lines through the video.

Some things to try:

Unplug everything from the TV except the PS3 and the TV's power
    Plug in the PS3 through a grounded to ungrounded (3 to 2 prong) plug adaptor (remember to make sure the grounding tab on the 2-pronged side of the adaptor doesn't touch the wall plate)
    Get a 3-channel ground loop isolator and run the PS3's video through it.

The UPS might also help, who knows.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It sounds like you have a ground loop issue. Something is passing its ground to the PS3 through the television, creating a ground loop that captures radio signals, giving an audible buzz and lines through the video.

Some things to try:

Unplug everything from the TV except the PS3 and the TV's power
    Plug in the PS3 through a grounded to ungrounded (3 to 2 prong) plug adaptor (remember to make sure the grounding tab on the 2-pronged side of the adaptor doesn't touch the wall plate)
    Get a 3-channel ground loop isolator and run the PS3's video through it.

The UPS might also help, who knows.

I just wanted to give and update. Getting the 3 to 2 prong adaptor worked.

thanks for all the help guys!

Artoria on