As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] Character Builder now available for open beta on D&D Insider!

• Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    That monster is really pro. Has great art as well and I don't think its recycled art.

What they need to bring back is the giant animated walking graveyard from 2nd edition. Now that was a monster.

I think that thing was in MM2 from 3.x as well.

and I agree, it was a great monster, trying to add the PCs to its "collection."

Maticore on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because there was a recent discussion about FS (Flaming Sphere), I'm gonna ask this because when my group started a 4e game last month, it was a bit of a mystery of how to deal with the orb as a physical entity on the playfield.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier, by the way. Searching for "Flaming sphere" brings up a lot of different message threads.

Once the flaming sphere is out there on the board, burninating the peasants and minions, am I correct in assuming that it cannot be physically removed from the encounter unless the controlling wizard decides to stop sustaining it (or dies). So like, the sphere itself is *not* a minion with 1-3HP or cannot be the target of a spell/AoE?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Because there was a recent discussion about FS (Flaming Sphere), I'm gonna ask this because when my group started a 4e game last month, it was a bit of a mystery of how to deal with the orb as a physical entity on the playfield.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier, by the way. Searching for "Flaming sphere" brings up a lot of different message threads.

Once the flaming sphere is out there on the board, burninating the peasants and minions, am I correct in assuming that it cannot be physically removed from the encounter unless the controlling wizard decides to stop sustaining it (or dies). So like, the sphere itself is *not* a minion with 1-3HP or cannot be the target of a spell/AoE?

I would have to say you are correct in your assumption.

It keeps on burninating the peasants until the wizard fails to sustain it or gets knocked to zero hp.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That monster is really pro. Has great art as well and I don't think its recycled art.

What they need to bring back is the giant animated walking graveyard from 2nd edition. Now that was a monster.

Didn't you already do this..? I vaguely recall it beating on my party mates.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    REG Rysk wrote: »

Didn't you already do this..? I vaguely recall it beating on my party mates.

I think he wants an official version so everyone can be bludgeoned by headstones like we were.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a reason to choose the khopesh (brutal) over the broadsword? They end up having the same average damage roll, except the broadsword's higher damage die means bigger crits.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    Is there a reason to choose the khopesh (brutal) over the broadsword? They end up having the same average damage roll, except the broadsword's higher damage die means bigger crits.

khopesh also has both the axe and heavy blade properties.

so it depends upon what kind of powers you want to use, what feats look good to you, or other stuff about your build.

a dwarf fighter, for example, would be able to use powers that are only for heavy blades and still get his bonus to damage from a dwarven weapon training feat.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And why do I see all the rangers going dual rapiers and stuff? Why not dual bastard swords? I don't think there are any powers that specify that you need light blades. Just two 1-handed weapons.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    this is basically the same answer

perhaps they are going for feats or other options that rely on the use of light blades. maybe they want to grab some rogue powers, or the weapon enchantments they want only work on light blades

there's a lot more to weapons than their damage dice.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright. Just making sure I wasn't missing some hidden rule somewhere about not being able to dual wield heavy blades.

TheBog on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

khopesh also has both the axe and heavy blade properties.

so it depends upon what kind of powers you want to use, what feats look good to you, or other stuff about your build.

a dwarf fighter, for example, would be able to use powers that are only for heavy blades and still get his bonus to damage from a dwarven weapon training feat.

Also, in many cases, feats for heavy blades and axes can both be taken (Heavy blade opportunity and the axe one). Whichever improved critical (weapon) has lower/easier qualifications can be part of the decision-making as well.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't there an "off-hand" keyword associated with weapons that can be wielding in your off-hand?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't there an "off-hand" keyword associated with weapons that can be wielding in your off-hand?

Yes.

If you want to dual-wield longswords you'd better have the right feat, race, or class situation.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone on who wants to create a new thread and will keep it updated?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    By the way, where are people getting all these barbarian details?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    By the way, where are people getting all these barbarian details?

From the Barbarian playtest document from the DnD website.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there any way to make a two-weapon fighter without Martial Power? I know you can take a feat to use two weapons, but I don't think there are any PHB Fighter powers that let you use them both.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Make a two-weapon ranger and multiclass into fighter.

Maticore on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I wanted to make a Warlord out of one of the monstrous races, which would be the best to choose? I'd prefer to go either Tactical or Inspiring and I'd really love to be able to play a kobold or a goblin. My buddy is playing a Minotaur fighter and I'd love to go charging into battle on his back and then leap off and do some crazy shit.

If the concept is utterly dead in the water, I'll probably just go Tiefling, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Anyone on who wants to create a new thread and will keep it updated?

I will if nobody else does.

Edit: It will be after my other game tonight though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If I wanted to make a Warlord out of one of the monstrous races, which would be the best to choose? I'd prefer to go either Tactical or Inspiring and I'd really love to be able to play a kobold or a goblin. My buddy is playing a Minotaur fighter and I'd love to go charging into battle on his back and then leap off and do some crazy shit.

If the concept is utterly dead in the water, I'll probably just go Tiefling, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Kobold would be really great. Shift works really well with Warlord abilities.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Where can I find Kobold PC specs? I tried googling it, but I just got monster manual stats.

TheBog on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where can I find Kobold PC specs? I tried googling it, but I just got monster manual stats.

There are only monster manual stats for Kobolds at the moment.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the back of the MM they have some of the Monster races done up as playable races.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the back of the MM they have some of the Monster races done up as playable races.

Sort of. They're written up to be used as NPC races, so they are a little lacking and in some cases a bit unbalanced (ex. minotaurs lost oversized weapons when written up as PC's).

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »

Sort of. They're written up to be used as NPC races, so they are a little lacking and in some cases a bit unbalanced (ex. minotaurs lost oversized weapons when written up as PC's).

Did they actually gain something in exchange?

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maticore wrote: »

An AC bonus when charging and a bunch of racial feats and paragon paths. They're pretty well-supported, it was a good article, despite the nerf.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Maticore wrote: »

An AC bonus when charging and a bunch of racial feats and paragon paths. They're pretty well-supported, it was a good article, despite the nerf.

Where was this minotaur article? Also, there's really no way to get Dungeon and Dragon (aside from the old archive stuff) without subscribing to the whole insider deal, right?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wait a second delroland what are you talking about

Minotaurs in the back of the Monster Manual still use oversized weapons.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wish there was a way to pick and choose dragon/dungeon issues so I could get the ones I want.

Like buying issues.

like it was some kind of magazine.

Maticore on
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Apparently there was an article written for one of the two magazines that fleshed out the minotaur as an actual player race.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm trying to decide whether I should retrain my Warlock's level 3 encounter power to better help my group in Aegeri's game. I have the second one, and I'm considering the first one:
    Frigid Darkness: Warlock Attack 3
    Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Fear, Implement
    Standard Action Ranged 10
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Con vs. Fort
    Hit: 2d8 + Con mod cold damage, and target grants combat advantage to you and your allies until the end of your next turn.
    Star Pact: The target takes a penalty to AC equal to your Intelligence modifier until the end of your next turn.

Otherwind Stride: Warlock Attack 3
    Encounter * Arcane, Implement, Teleportation
    Standard Action Close Burst 1
    Target: Each creature in burst
    Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1d8 + Cha mod damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
    Effect: You teleport 5 squares.

However, the first power's usefulness is somewhat dependent. The way I read it, it sounds like the enemy takes the penalty to AC from Star Pact whether the move hits or misses, which considering the fact that I can get it back when it misses means I could give a single target a decent (-2) AC penalty for 1-2 turns, and eventually an effective -4 AC (-2 to all other defenses) when the attack lands. That seems kind of overpowered.

I'm reasonably sure it was designed so that the AC penalty stacks with the combat advantage thing, and not that for one to cancel the other out, but some verification of that would help.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pony wrote: »

Right, that's how they were published originally. They got a full PC writeup with Paragon Paths and Racial Feats in November's Dragon. They lost oversized and picked up the AC bonus on charges there. According to Mearls, Oversized is not considered a balanced PC ability, so when the MM races with it get PC writeups, they'll lose it.

Apparently, Wizards will be putting out "Best of" compilations of Dragon and Dungeon, so keep an eye out for those if you'd rather not subscribe. I'd bet that the racial articles (Warforged, Gnoll, Minotaur, Dhampyr) will be included.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide whether I should retrain my Warlock's level 3 encounter power to better help my group in Aegeri's game. I have the second one, and I'm considering the first one:
    Frigid Darkness: Warlock Attack 3
    Encounter * Arcane, Cold, Fear, Implement
    Standard Action Ranged 10
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Con vs. Fort
    Hit: 2d8 + Con mod cold damage, and target grants combat advantage to you and your allies until the end of your next turn.
    Star Pact: The target takes a penalty to AC equal to your Intelligence modifier until the end of your next turn.

Otherwind Stride: Warlock Attack 3
    Encounter * Arcane, Implement, Teleportation
    Standard Action Close Burst 1
    Target: Each creature in burst
    Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 1d8 + Cha mod damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
    Effect: You teleport 5 squares.

However, the first power's usefulness is somewhat dependent. The way I read it, it sounds like the enemy takes the penalty to AC from Star Pact whether the move hits or misses, which considering the fact that I can get it back when it misses means I could give a single target a decent (-2) AC penalty for 1-2 turns, and eventually an effective -4 AC (-2 to all other defenses) when the attack lands. That seems kind of overpowered.

I'm reasonably sure it was designed so that the AC penalty stacks with the combat advantage thing, and not that for one to cancel the other out, but some verification of that would help.
    Got errata'd, IIRC. Penalty only applies on a hit.

EDIT: I'm wrong, the errata was clarifying the duration. But, the Star Pact note is indented under Hit, meaning it only comes into play on a hit.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but I was taking that into account. It still sounds like the Star Pact effect scores even on a miss. So at the cost of 3 HP every turn until I actually hit with the power, the enemy has a -2 to AC.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oversized is pretty cheesy

especially when a bugbear rogue uses oversized daggers and shurikens

Pony on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, my newbie group for Keep on the Thingumy has settles on Warlock, Ranger, Rogue, Paladin and Warlord.

As expected they lack AoE as no-one fancied wizarding it up. They should be alright, right? Also any good magic items I can drop on them to give them some AoE options?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone a Dragonborn?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is anyone a Dragonborn?

One definately, two probably. I see where you're going with this. Breath weapons a-go-go.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
This discussion has been closed.