As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a book on classical music theory

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I’m looking for a book that teaches the concepts and theories of music from the classical and romantic periods. I want to read this so that I can read Maynad Solomon’s biographies of composers and not get bogged down when he starts getting into the details of the compositions.

supabeast on

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This seems...vague.

I mean, when you take Music History or Music Theory they come with their own textbooks, and a number of them have enough material to only cover one time period or sections of them. Could you give some examples of concepts/theories that are being brought up to get an idea behind what you're looking for?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this: http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Rudiments-Music-Barbara-Wharram/dp/1554400112

you will learn to love theory and hate theory instruction as I did.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My undergraduate theory courses used:

Harmony and Voice Leading by Aldwell and Schachter &

Counterpoint in Composition by Salzer and Schachter

The counterpoint book teaches you "proper" voice leading techniques and the other book tells you how to put interesting chord progressions behind it.

It's quite fun at the end of the year I was able to write an Invention.

Fuzzywhale on