As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iMic + ps3... sort of working?

king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
So trying to play some resistance 2 with my friends, we all got fed up with bluetooth headsets and their shitty sound.

I plugged in my iMic and a headset. For anyone not knowing, an iMic is a lil Griffin usb thing that lets me use a headset on my mac. It has 2 inputs, one for mic, one output. So it recognized it immediately and seemed to have drivers for it since it referred to it by name.

The mic works fine, and people can hear me... but no sound from the headphones. So I have to put people's voices through the TV, which sounds awful combined with game noises.

Anyone have a similar problem orknow of a fix?

Bigsushi.fm
Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
king awesome on

• lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So trying to play some resistance 2 with my friends, we all got fed up with bluetooth headsets and their shitty sound.

I plugged in my iMic and a headset. For anyone not knowing, an iMic is a lil Griffin usb thing that lets me use a headset on my mac. It has 2 inputs, one for mic, one output. So it recognized it immediately and seemed to have drivers for it since it referred to it by name.

The mic works fine, and people can hear me... but no sound from the headphones. So I have to put people's voices through the TV, which sounds awful combined with game noises.

Anyone have a similar problem orknow of a fix?

Change the headset output settings on the PS3. In your headset settings you can switch the speech output from the TV to the headset. You can also use 2 different devices for input / output. For example, you can use a pair of USB speakers as an output device, and a separate microphone as an input device.

lilB on
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I actually tried that.

I switched the output back and forth from the TV speakers to the iMic to try and get it working. I also tried using the mic on mhy headset but have the output coming through my Bluetooth headset and it didn't seem like it would let that work.

Seriously... why can't sony just create wired headsets or usb wireless headsets for their damn system. Everyone's shitty BT headsets sound awful and cut out every 2 seconds so you can't even understand what people are saying :(

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seriously... why can't sony just create wired headsets or usb wireless headsets for their damn system. Everyone's shitty BT headsets sound awful and cut out every 2 seconds so you can't even understand what people are saying :(
    Uhh? I don't know about all that. I've had overall good experiences with PAers in terms of voice chat. Doing some testing with a midend Plantronics bluetooth lying around quality was middling and people had some trouble hearing me. I tried one of their highest end headsets purported to have noise cancellation and all that jazz and got frequent complaints of echoing both on my phone and through the PS3. Watching my little sackboy's mouth move I could see it was picking up noise at the most random times.

So I just bought the SOCOM bundle, traded SOCOM to a friend for MGS4 which I will probably never play because I'm stuck in the middle of 2 and have been using that ever since. I love the giant mute button when I'm yelling obscenities or singing folk songs and it's probably going to be the most hassle free Bluetooth option for your PS3. Also comes standalone but the pricing on that always threw me off. Of course I've played with people using standard USB headsets and they've sounded fine.

The problem is probably just your little adapter guy. Or your headset. Well, there are some options.

JAEF on