Options

First 100 Days: Day 19 - Legal Conference. Without blackjack nor hookers.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Ugh. What part of 'private citizen' does he not get?
    Realistically? "I don't recall" "I don't remember" "I'm not sure" for days about anything.

"I'm pretty sure you do remember, and remind you that you are under oath" would take care of that in a hell of a hurry.

Rove has been breaking the law since well before Bush was elected. Why would he start being afraid of the repercussions now, especially if Bush conveniently destroyed all the evidence against him ahead of time?

Although I will say that Bush trying to still exert EP now is utterly disgusting to me.

YOU'RE NOT IN CHARGE ANYMORE. YOU NEVER WILL BE.

Duffel on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    The reduced efficiency would be harmful but right now free trade is fucking Americans pretty bad. .

No it really isn't. It's fucking some Americans; America as a whole has benefited and continues to benefit from free trade.

The beleaguered manufacturing sector is a prime example of where America is losing out though free trade. The massive trade deficit partially resulting from that is just another. Sending stimulus money to American construction companies is about of the smartest things the government can do right now.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SCHIP expansion passes Senate, heads to Obama. Expect to see a signing next week. Hopefully, he'll invite the kid that Malkin stalked for the signing.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SCHIP expansion passes Senate, heads to Obama. Expect to see a signing next week. Hopefully, he'll invite the kid that Malkin stalked for the signing.

Awesome. Another step towards universal coverage!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The reduced efficiency would be harmful but right now free trade is fucking Americans pretty bad. .

No it really isn't. It's fucking a majority Americans; America as a whole has benefited and continues to benefit from free trade.

"America as a whole" has only benefited if you ignore the increased disparities between the rich and poor and the massive wealth gaps.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Democrats are pulling out the sledgehammer on the stimulus bill: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/30/organize-for-america-to-t_n_162519.html

Is it okay if we call the people who will answer the call the Obama Lantern Corps? Mainly because I want a power ring emblazoned with the Obama logo. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The Democrats are pulling out the sledgehammer on the stimulus bill: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/30/organize-for-america-to-t_n_162519.html

Is it okay if we call the people who will answer the call the Obama Lantern Corps? Mainly because I want a power ring emblazoned with the Obama logo. :P

The rings would have to be blue. There was one poster on here who had an Obama Blue Lantern sig - can't remember who, though.

Edit:

And the pushback begins...

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The purpose of the stimulus is to create increased production and employment in the United States. Steel, for example, bought in Canada will have a lesser beneficial effect even if the cost is reduced.
    On the other hand:

The steel is to be used in building bridges, tunnels, railways, etc. etc. - by buying more expensive American steel, the government will be able to build fewer bridges, tunnels, railways with the same ammount of money. Result is less economic benefits due to less new/upgraded infrastructure, and fewer Americans employed building said infrastructure.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The rings would have to be blue. There was one poster on here who had an Obama Blue Lantern sig - can't remember who, though.

Edit:

And the pushback begins...

Man, if the Obama machine and it's affiliates stay this active and on message for the next 4 years, the Republicans are going to be hosed.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    The purpose of the stimulus is to create increased production and employment in the United States. Steel, for example, bought in Canada will have a lesser beneficial effect even if the cost is reduced.
    On the other hand:

The steel is to be used in building bridges, tunnels, railways, etc. etc. - by buying more expensive American steel, the government will be able to build fewer bridges, tunnels, railways with the same ammount of money. Result is less economic benefits due to less new/upgraded infrastructure, and fewer Americans employed building said infrastructure.

Yes but there's a multiplicative effect. If I have 100 bucks and spend 10 dollars for a Canadian hoozie America gets the benefit from 10 hoozies. If I spend 12.5 for an American hoozie America gets the advantage of 8 hoozies, plus the benefits from mining/refining/manufacturing/whatever 8 hoozies.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »

I can actually see Bush's point here (that if conversations between aides are confidential during the presidency, they should stay so after it), but I think the real question would be can you use executive privilege on misconduct. Precident says no, so all you could refuse to testify on would be advice given relating to executive matters, anything else like discussing firing attorneys for political reasons, would be fair game. Unless you want to bring up a legal argument for misconduct being standard executive operations.

Of course by not even bothering to show up, he's in contempt of Congress. He has to show up to exert a privilege as I understand the law. Then he claims it, they litigate it and we learn if previous Presidents in fact can exert privilege on anything and everything.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I can actually see Bush's point here (that if conversations between aides are confidential during the presidency, they should stay so after it), but I think the real question would be can you use executive privilege on misconduct. Precident says no, so all you could refuse to testify on would be advice given relating to executive matters, anything else like discussing firing attorneys for political reasons, would be fair game. Unless you want to bring up a legal argument for misconduct being standard executive operations.

Of course by not even bothering to show up, he's in contempt of Congress. He has to show up to exert a privilege as I understand the law. Then he claims it, they litigate it and we learn if previous Presidents in fact can exert privilege on anything and everything.

And unlike before there's an AG who might actually hold him to it?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

And unlike before there's an AG who might actually hold him to it?

Well, there will be the same day he has to show up by. Presumably.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

As the article states, they've been using an interpretation of executive privilege from Bush's AG that states it's complete immunity, which includes immunity to contempt charges for now showing up, and the ability to claim executive privilege remotely.

Until Obama's AG's office puts out an opinion that disagrees (it's due in a few weeks apparently), they're covered from having to even set foot in congress.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

As the article states, they've been using an interpretation of executive privilege from Bush's AG that states it's complete immunity, which includes immunity to contempt charges for now showing up, and the ability to claim executive privilege remotely.

Until Obama's AG's office puts out an opinion that disagrees (it's due in a few weeks apparently), they're covered from having to even set foot in congress.

As with most things from the Bush Justice Department, they're full of shit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That Obama recovery plan commercial against Senator Grassley is awesome and made me LOL at how much that guy must be shitting bricks.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No it really isn't. It's fucking some Americans; America as a whole has benefited and continues to benefit from free trade.

The beleaguered manufacturing sector is a prime example of where America is losing out though free trade.

How much of that is due to trade and how much is due to robots gaining a hold over mankind?

moniker on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While I think the bill Obama recently signed into law is 110% a good move... what happened to the promise of putting bills up for 5 days of comments before signing ?

Granted, I would expect that he would expect 100% positive comments on it.. but isn't that missing the point?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    While I think the bill Obama recently signed into law is 110% a good move... what happened to the promise of putting bills up for 5 days of comments before signing ?

Granted, I would expect that he would expect 100% positive comments on it.. but isn't that missing the point?

My guess is that that isn't quite doable just yet? Maybe they need to get stuff set up to make the site crash horribly and all that good stuff? I dunno. I'd assume there is a good reason this bill didn't get that treatment, as it would be a stupid promise to break altogether.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Five days after they've been passed by the Senate and sent to his desk. Not sure what happened with the Ledbetter Act, though. Maybe it didn't change much since it was first proposed?

wwtMask on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have to say. She might be a bit crazy, but I am right now loving Senator McCaskel.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to scrap it after the change.gov open questions thing.

moniker on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided to scrap it after the change.gov open questions thing.

this bill doesnt make weed legal!!!

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And McCain gets in on the Limbaugh knob-slobbing: http://thinkprogress.org/2009/01/30/mccain-obama-limbaugh/

Letting a blowhard like Limbaugh cow you into submission is extra-mavericky.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hahaha, they really are letting Limbaugh be the party leader.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The amount of Republicans rallying to Limbaugh all of a sudden makes me wonder about this whole identity crises thing they're having. It's like my worse fears of them considering him a leader are about to come true.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And McCain gets in on the Limbaugh knob-slobbing: http://thinkprogress.org/2009/01/30/mccain-obama-limbaugh/

He's trying to save face and become a party elder. Which sucks, because he's dead politically and should just go buck wild with his opinions ala Goldwater. Tell everyone where, how, and why they should fuck themselves &c.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

He's trying to save face and become a party elder. Which sucks, because he's dead politically and should just go buck wild with his opinions ala Goldwater. Tell everyone where, how, and why they should fuck themselves &c.

too bad he's a douche of the highest order and would never do such a thing.

geckahn on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

And yet, he'd get more camera time.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Guys, it may be time to consider that McCain really did believe the shit he was spouting during the campaign. More than a few people warned us that McMaverick was just a front.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's the only rational explanation if it ever happens. The only thing that man cares about is attention. He's like that girl that makes out with other chicks at bars just so the guys look at her.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's the only rational explanation if it ever happens. The only thing that man cares about is attention. He's like that girl that makes out with other chicks at bars just so the guys look at her.

It's interesting that that analogy was the first that came to you when thinking about McCain.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thing is, once you're actually President, there's this rule against some forms of what is essentially product placement, for the same reason Presidential investments have to go into a blind trust.

Open For Questions used a program called Google Moderator, and change.gov said as much.

Can't do that once you're sworn in.

I'm assuming Obama's running into the same basic problem with this- there are a lot of message board programs out there, but how many usable ones aren't made by publicly-traded companies?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's interesting that that analogy was the first that came to you when thinking about McCain.

I figured it was so completely removed from him that it would work.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What are you saying that marijuana legalization isn't really the #1 issue in America?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

What are you saying that marijuana legalization isn't really the #1 issue in America?

On the internet. Right up there with the gold blimp standard.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Thing is, once you're actually President, there's this rule against some forms of what is essentially product placement, for the same reason Presidential investments have to go into a blind trust.

Open For Questions used a program called Google Moderator, and change.gov said as much.

Can't do that once you're sworn in.

I'm assuming Obama's running into the same basic problem with this- there are a lot of message board programs out there, but how many usable ones aren't made by publicly-traded companies?

There's got to be something out there that's similar and open source. Or if it really came to it they could just have a link to the bill as a .pdf with an e-mail link for comments.

I wonder how much stimulative effect it would have for the entire Federal bureaucracy to get their websites remade. More than a few of them could certainly use it to help navigate their byzantine pages.

moniker on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is pathetic. Are the Republicans really that beholden to some pill-popping old prick with a talk show?

Did these people really run the country for damn near three decades? You think they'd have some pride, or hell, even some arrogant assholishness. This is just sad.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Couldn't Obama just hire some dude to convert a random open-source message board program into something awesome, and then use that?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'd say decriminalization of it should be a huge bullet point under the "war on crime" section of the agenda, within the top 5. Not something we need to worry about now, but it's a legitimate problem in America.

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.