As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gramma and her Soaps: DTV Conversion and VCR Programming

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
If there's already a thread about this "panic" then I'd be grateful for some links or any information on the subject.

My grandmother is currently worried about the conversion on February 17th (if that's still the date), but she actually has a surprisingly good handle on what is going to happen and has managed to hook up a DTV box she's purchased. The problem comes in with programming recordings on the VCR, something that will obviously cease to function once the switch occurs.

So as far as alternatives I'm only aware of the following:

-The Tivo service
-DVR provided by an external cable company
-An HTPC with PVR
-Setting the VCR to record channel 3 and having the DTV box set on the channel desired (not much of a solution)

None of these are particularly elegant solutions in my eyes, but only because they are either convoluted (like the last two) or ridiculously overpriced (like the first two). The most desirable by far is the HTPC (no service charge and a relatively cheap PC could be used), but that'll most likely end up frustrating her and would probably require constant maintenance from somebody able to operate on it.

With all of that in mind, my questions to you guys are:

-Are there any better, simpler alternatives I haven't thought about?
-Are there any reasonable DVR services?
-What kind of hardware is required of an HTPC to be ready for the "DTV" conversion and still be able to change channels on its own and do proper programmed recordings? I know products like the "Hauppauge PVR-150" that I used to DVR with would require something extra like the "IR Blaster" to be able to function on their own.

Thanks for any and all input, I'm not sure where to begin on approaching a good solution and your help is always appreciated!

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, and if there's any good deals on products like this I'd like to hear about it (or tell me if they're not suitable):

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5693289

Seems perfect if it can program recordings (I don't see why not), just really pricey. Maybe a good Christmas present, at least...

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a wonderful dual tuner with Dish. Is she in a position where she can't afford an extra 30 or more a month? I don't know what type of deals they have atm for cheapest DVRs, but I do love mine.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have a wonderful dual tuner with Dish. Is she in a position where she can't afford an extra 30 or more a month? I don't know what type of deals they have atm for cheapest DVRs, but I do love mine.
    I'm not sure if she could or not but I'll err on the side of caution and assume she can't. But more to the point she is looking to avoid paying for a service if she can, it's what she's more comfortable with apparently.

If a service is the only way then she'll have to seek out that option, but for the time being I'd like to hear of other alternatives (if they exist). Thank you for your advice, though, I'll have to help her look into service plans if it comes to it.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Can't a video out cable get run from the TV to the VCR?
    I don't really understand how the digital conversion will prevent a VCR from recording.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It doesn't, you're definitely right about that.

What I'm looking for is a more elegant solution than the inevitable one (which involves setting the VCR to channel 3 and leaving the converter box on the desired channel). With the current situation she won't be able to watch a program while recording or have the VCR automatically switch channels based on her programmed recording, two things that she is currently capable of doing with the analog setup.

So a digital replacement for those two particular things (watching TV while something records on another channel, having the recording device be capable of switching to the channel on its own) are what I'm after with this topic. Thank you for your continued support!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just because it might have to come up with her
    http://dishnetwork.com/packages/default.aspx
    100+ channels, $10 a month, $6 for DVR

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, that's a great deal. I'll pass it along! Thanks!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Note the Special Six Month Offer note.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, thanks. A lot more sour with that "24-month commitment". Might still be worth looking into when all is said and done, though...

Too bad VCRs are outdated, it'd be nice if there was one with a tuner that didn't have the DVD combo. Are there any good standalone DVD recorders with the tuner that might be cheaper?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know about cheaper, but there are ones without the VHS part.

I don't know if your grandmother would want to record to DVD though. That one from Walmart is a good price and offers VHS. I'd stick with that if I were you.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hm, yeah, it'd probably be a difficult transition (or at least cause more problems to fix).

She's probably not willing to pay that considering how "cheap" the converter box was after using one of those rebates being sent out. But maybe I could look into getting the family to go in together on it, I think it'd be a nice gesture.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png