Options

I Am Alive Because of SCIENCE!!

• Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To Obs' credit, this girl I knew? She blinded me with science. So, fuckin', thanks a lot science.

MagnumCT on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Way way way less than would have died of disease or starvation without science.

Doubtful.
    Compare population growth before and after the development of agriculture.

Also, a third of Europe died from the plague. Not so much from the last couple big wars.

Quid on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I concede.

Obs on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?

Doubtful.

There is a reason why the population explosion didn't happen until science helped technology advance to the point where it was possible. Even in hellholes, the chances of living to 18 are better than before all the technological improvements. We would still be farming based on extremely primitive methods without science.
    World_population_curve_-_log_y_scale.png

This information is only meaningful if you overlay a chart of human deaths per years on top of it.

which will increase at a slower rate than the population

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got into a bad accident on my bicycle when I was little that would have almost unquestionably killed me were it not for my helmet.

The side effect was that ever since I've had crippling "murder me now" headaches.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Doubtful.

Also, a third of Europe died from the plague. Not so much from the last couple big wars.

More people died from the influenza outbreak of 1918 than all of WWI.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    The real debate here is if there are more people who are dead because of science than alive.

Alive easily

Explain?

How many more have been saved then those who have died by bombs and bullets and wheels and diseases, all in the name of science?

Doubtful.

There is a reason why the population explosion didn't happen until science helped technology advance to the point where it was possible. Even in hellholes, the chances of living to 18 are better than before all the technological improvements. We would still be farming based on extremely primitive methods without science.
    World_population_curve_-_log_y_scale.png

This information is only meaningful if you overlay a chart of human deaths per years on top of it.

False. Deaths per year have to exceed births per year in order for science to have killed more than it has saved. If that happened, the population growth chart would show not-growth.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born early. Without incubators and other technology for early babies, I'd be dead. (And so would my mother; the reason I was born early was because they had to do an emergency C-Section to get me out of the way so they could stop her kidneys from failing)

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Doubtful.

More people died from the influenza outbreak of 1918 than all of WWI.

More during the black death than ww2, and ww2 had nukes, it doesn't get any more science than that.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Doubtful.

People who died from the 1918 flu pandemic: 20-100 million
    People who died from WWI: 20 million including civilian and military deaths

Couscous on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    False. Deaths per year have to exceed births per year in order for science to have killed more than it has saved. If that happened, the population growth chart would show not-growth.

I completely disagree with Obs' point, but here I think you're wrong.

Births could have risen regardless due to the simple exponential factor of breeding.

It's the "currently alive" number that matters more, if I'm thinking this through correctly.

Because it would be irrelevant if more people were born if science were just killing them off, or even keeping them alive. Either way, whoever is right, births are irrelevant.

I think...

:|

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If those people didn't go out during the night they wouldn't have gotten sick.

Just sayin'.

Quid on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born 4 weeks early and had to spend a week or so in one of those premee(sp?) boxes w/ the lamp warmers and breathing thing-a-ma-jgs. So yah, probably alive because of science...

Although science also had doctors put a video tube up my pee hole. Considering they didn't find anything from that, kinda pissed at science for it.

Edit: Incubator...thanks to above poster

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Births could have risen regardless due to the simple exponential factor of breeding.

It's the "currently alive" number that matters more, if I'm thinking this through correctly.

Because it would be irrelevant if more people were born if science were just killing them off, or even keeping them alive. Either way, whoever is right, births are irrelevant.

I think...

The growth couldn't occur without advanced agriculture, infrastructure, medicine, etc.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think...

population growth is exponential
    .'. the number of people alive is growing faster than the number of people dying.
    .'. science for the win.

also, increase in average lifespans

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Again, if you missed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Read it.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was born with a herniated disc and a broken foot, so even if I would be still be alive right now life wound be VERY shitty.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Science fixed my tooth. Also my chest.

Thank you, science.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Brain Tumor removed with a laser scalpel.

Okay that is just cool. Extra points from here on out for anybody Saved by Frikkin Laserbeams.

And yah, grew up in the South Pacific, malaria is very common there. As for the injuries, it seems as a child I was both fearless and mildly retarded.

Good Idea: If you are out of control and about to drive your motorcycle off a two hundred foot cliff, aim for the nearest tree.

Bad Idea: Accelerating.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MagnumCT wrote: »
    To Obs' credit, this girl I knew? She blinded me with science.
    She blinded you with Science?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had pneumonia when I was in 2nd grade. Our pediatrician was out, so the guy who looked at me thought I had a cold.

Later my right lung collapsed. My mom called in our pediatrician at 10 at night, and had him come into the office. He took one look at me, told her I was super super sick (which she already knew). He gave me a shot of something, I don't know what. I thought it was penicillin at the time, but my mom says it was some new drug they were trying out. He said if I didn't get better in like 4 hours, take me to the ER because I was dying. I got better.

Fucking science man.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh yeah and I had pneumonia at 2 years old which would have killed me without

SCIENCE!!!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On a related note, has anyone ever listened to the "Ask Dr. Science" bits that usually air on public radio? Ren & Stimpy did a version too, Ask Dr. Stupid.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, after suffering my previously mentioned head injury I took part in a study on the effects of head trauma on brain development. So I participated in SCIENCE! that could help others be saved by SCIENCE!

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was in an out of hospitals so much as a child that I'd probably be dead 20 times over if it wasnt for SCIENCE!

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh yeah and I had pneumonia at 2 years old which would have killed me without

SCIENCE!!!

Did it blind you?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stopped breathing when I was about one
    Septic hip when I was 6
    Type one diabetes

yay science

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My own skin tried to kill me one time. I'm alive because doctors cut parts of it off and then sewed me back together. And then gave me a prescription for Codine.

Mostly I'm thankful for the Codine.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks to medical science, I am no longer prone to lung collapses on my left side.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't really have any medical stories, but I've had a good number of near deaths turned into close calls via safety equipment.

They put seatbelts in cars for a reason, people. Mostly so when you hit that cow doing 50 you don't fly through the window and merge with it physically.

My family has a fairly long list of things that science saved us from. Like when my mom's immune system tried to eat her.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Open heart surgery when I was 6, to repair a ventricular septal defect (a hole in one of the chambers of my heart). Had it not been repaired I would've died at about age 21, when my heart would've basically been worn out from having to work much harder to pump blood. As it was at age 6 my heart was about the size of a 16 year old's.

Other than that, I've never had anything worse than chicken pox.

Hey, me too! Apprently was a pretty big deal at the time (early 80s).

Had surgery when I was an infant, and again when I was 6. Spent a lot of time in the childrens' wards of hospitals.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a crazy stomach problem when I was tiny. I wouldn't have made it to 1 without science. Science saved me again when I tried to OD and kill myself a few years ago. Yay science!

Boo charcoal milkshake.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How are we defining "science" here? I mean, it seems like we're debating whether or not mankind is going forwards or backwards, or if progress in general is better or worse, and not really about any hard definition of "science." Did science cause WWII? Did it cause crop rotation? I think no in both cases.

But anyone who thinks the weapons science has given us outweigh the survival and longevity... you're a fool.

More interesting to me would be to ask whether or not religion has hurt more people than helped (I know how most here feel about that), or to ask how many more brothers and sisters we might all have if our parents were less educated. Because the larger debate of "science: yes or no?" is not really a two-sided debate.

Or, you know, just stick to the OP. I do not think that I have been directly saved by any modern medical technology. I have never had a broken bone or any serious illness. Though I would probably have wooden teeth by now, which would totally suck.

Yar on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gallstones in my early 20's, had my gall bladder removed about 6 months after being diagnosed.

I'm not sure if they would've killed me, but I don't know how much longer I could've gone on like that without wishing I were dead.

Tonsils removed at age 6 or 7, and I had the Chicken Pox that same day. No drastic measures involved, but they kept me at the hospital overnight just to be safe. That could've gone bad.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll give the flipside of the OP: I am almost not alive because of a lack of science.

My mother had polio as a child. Almost died and one leg was crippled for life (as an adult she is 4'11" tall).

The vaccine had actually been invented at the time but it was very new and her family was hell of poor. Nowadays there should be no such excuse in the first world.

There are few things more disgusting and immoral in the modern world than anti-vaxxers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are few things more disgusting and immoral in the modern world than anti-vaxxers.

But they might give you genetic mental conditions!

DISCLAMER: SARCASTIC AS ALL HELL

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I don't really have any medical stories, but I've had a good number of near deaths turned into close calls via safety equipment.

They put seatbelts in cars for a reason, people. Mostly so when you hit that cow doing 50 you don't fly through the window and merge with it physically.

My family has a fairly long list of things that science saved us from. Like when my mom's immune system tried to eat her.

I'm not sure if seatbelts are considered Science!, but I'm willing to consider the possibility.

Also, I am dissapointed in the distinct lack of Animal Parts stories. I hate to think all my time creating the Monkoppotimaid has gone to waste.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Without modern medical technology to keep premature babies alive, I would never even have made it out of the womb.

There's a couple other times science has saved me since, but I like to just leave it at "If it weren't for science, I would have been born dead!"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was nearly killed by science, but then I was saved by science.

When I was 6 or so, went into the hospital for surgery on my eye. As they were putting me under, my body started freaking out, 106 degree fever, convulsions, the whole 9 yards.

No one knew what was happening, I wasn't allergic. One doctor (God fucking bless him to this day) immediately knew what was going on. He identified it as Malignant Hyperthermia, a fairly rare and mostly unknown at the time genetic disease that essentially kills me if I inhale anesthetics.

The doctor, and the doctor's training in SCIENCE, told the nurses to get dantrolene, a chemical created and refined by SCIENCE. They administered it, and instead of dying really fucking quickly, I was out of the hospital in a few days. Survived for a few decades now.

My eye still sucks, though.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    @has science really saved more than it's killed:

If it haven't been brought up then consider that every birth would be ministered by people without washed hands. How far back do we go in time when calculating this? Hunter-gatherer societies maybe? I'd say that just the child mortality rate due to lack of science would easily amount to hideous levels of death.

This would lead to less people being born -> less people being killed. Maybe not being born at all + living in caves up to age 30 when you die from a common cold would be preferable to some...

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot