Options

[WoW] Warriors: It's my rage and I need it NOW!

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Riale wrote: »
    Speaking of which: Fuck blizzard for making the 16 crit rating gem require hodir exalted.

Does it really still matter? By this time, the AH value is roughly the same as any other useful yellow cut gem, at least on my server.

Plus, it's easier to level up hodir now...

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's still a pain in the ass. As a JC, I'd rather be able to cut it and socket it myself (especially if say, I get an upgrade in a raid and want to equip it immediately) than relying on the AH, especially on Ravenholdt where our economy is screwy and simple things like types of gems quite often go completely out of stock for days at a time.

Just gotta keep grinding that rep I guess. Halfway through Honored and counting :\

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, you'll get another daily when you hit revered, at least.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Wooooo, finally got Red Sword of Courage.

Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna put on it. Is there a +expertise enchant?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PoxPox Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ok. I hope this is the right thread for this place. So, I've read up on wowwiki but now I want PA's advice as well. This is my first warrior and in a way my first proper toon through WoW. My "main" is a lvl 70 Shadow Priest which I've just lost all motivation to play. Now, I'm going down the Fury spec tree and trying to do as many instances as possible.

I'd appreciate all advice and tips on talent builds and gear advice and what instances I should really try to do as many times over for gear.

Here's my armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fizzcrank&n=Groul

Speaking of instances, Fizzcrank, the server I play on was a transfer destination for Zul'jin when WotLK came out. So, there's practically no lowbie dungeon presence. Anyone have any recommendations for a good PROPER server with a population across the spectrum?

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wooooo, finally got Red Sword of Courage.

Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna put on it. Is there a +expertise enchant?

Most people put the +20 str or the weapon chain on it

I don't see many bosses or mobs that disarm so why do a lot of people put the weapon chain on tanking weapons?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    the chain has 28 hit rating which is mostly why it's used

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People also do mongoose and 26 agi. Or accuracy, but that's expensive.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I might get the mats together for Mongoose, because man, getting this sword was epic.

We killed Skadi and it was like "10 minutes until reset! Please leave now!" and we were "OH NOOOO, GO GO GO." So we're pulling mobs, we skipped the hulk on the stairs, and just ran right into the next three pulls, with the last one we also grabbed the pat, so we had 6 fucking mobs for me to tank and I was like "BAM, SHIELD WALL, SHIELD BLOCk, GO SUPER TANK GO" and it was fucking epic. We killed them and it was like "YOU GOT 5 MINUTES, SKEET SKEET" "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and I grabbed the pull infront of Ymiron and they died cuz they were bitches. Then it was like "ALL OUT ON YMIRON!" "YOU GOT 3 MINUTES, BITCHES! YOU AIN'T GONNA MAKE IT!" "YES WE ARE!" and he was dieing and it was like "2 MINUTES, MOTHER FUCKERS" "HE'S AT 40%! WE CAN DO THIS!" "ONE MINUTE, FUCKERS, BLIZZ WINS, GG!" "5%! GET HIM!" then he fucking died and the loot popped up and it was "SUPER FAST LOOT GO GO" "WOOOOO SWORD! SWWWWWOOORRRDDD!" and we got all our shit and fuck yes.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh my god, I totally forget too that the rogue died to his ball attack when we got the stun and it was like "OH NO! THE DEEPS! OH YES! WE GOT A DRUID! BATTLE RES! HEAL HIM! LET'S GO DEEPS!" and we fucking won.

It was pro.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Time to switch to decaf.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Well yeah, but you're more likely to heroic strike than need to parry, no?
    If they implement that "successful Parry = rage" change though, that could help if you're not being wailed on by anyone.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Well yeah, but you're more likely to heroic strike than need to parry, no?
    If they implement that "successful Parry = rage" change though, that could help if you're not being wailed on by anyone.

If you're not getting wailed on how would you parry?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In my defense I didn't really think before I posted that

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ok, guys need some help. Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Eativ

I just got Last Laugh last night and haven't enchanted it yet. Going to do either accuracy or the weapon chain (feel free to weigh in).

But, I feel like I'm starting to fall behind in threat a bit. Should I swap my stam/dodge gems for hit/expertise?

Just trying to figure out how to gem since, to me, my #1 priority is to stay alive. But, my #2 is to make sure the boss stays focused on me. So, how should I go about achieving #2 without compromising #1?

planetes42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Last Laugh is the best you'll get for a good while. Splurge for Accuracy.

And yeah, your threat stats could use a lot of work. I'm not really sure what to tell you to gem for since you seem to have a ton of defense gems.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RAWR! I am going to be playing this game during reading week using a free trial, I currently have my level 68 warrior who is in some greens/blues. I have always been a fury warrior, even back when it sucked :P I was a fury warrior during vanilla naxx and I want to be one in WOTLK! Is titans grip as awesome as it sounds? What are the benefits / negatives of it. Also, the new fury tree is AMAZING. So many abilities.. wow they anwsered my prayers.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you're fury, you take Titan's Grip. It's not really a do i-don't i scenario. It's just pure awesome with no real drawbacks.

Unless you have zero +hit, in which case you might be better off with Arms until you get some.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Perfect way to buff MS would be to have it refresh all bleed effects on the target. EVERY LAST ONE... I want my huge rolling deep wounds again!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As others have stated before, buffing MS has the danger of making it too ridiculous for PVP, like the old days. With the nature of talent trees, any changes to Arms talents would have to be 21 points or deeper to keep it away from the grubby fingers of Fury. One possible solution would be to roll all the Weapon Specs together into one talent, such that 5 points would give you +5% crit and crit bonus, 15% armor penetration, and 5% double attack. Most talents rolled together in this way would be ridiculously powerful, but this situation is different - no one takes Mace or Sword spec anyway, and the Arms tree needs a huge talent like that to compete with Fury's huge Titan's Grip. (Replace the word 'huge' with 'overbudget', if that makes more sense).

Another thing that could be done is to add another single-point ability granting talent at the same tier as Endless Rage. There's precedent for this - Shaman have Stormstrike, Dual Wield, and Lava Lash, all single point talents, at a single tier (one deeper for Lava Lash, but that tier normally doesn't have any single point abilities at all). I can't think of what this new ability would do, though. I haven't played Arms in Northrend yet, so I don't have a clear understanding of what needs to be done.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If the goal is to reduce the dependence on rolling crits, the easy answer is in bleed effects. I'd start by pumping up the DOT bonus on Trauma.

There's a lot to be said for stuff like making Improved Slam reduce it to an instant cast, though. I'd even say Sweeping Strikes needs some kind of additional effect because it's worthless for boss DPS right now.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Instant slam would push a lot of things out of the rotation. Basically instead of using Overpower, SD Execute, or MS, you'd just rend, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam.

It's more rage efficient than SD execute and MS. It's more damage than MS and overpower.

The obvious counter would be a cooldown. This would cause other huge rotational problems. In the many cases where arms ends up with two free GCDs, instead of slamming twice, you're in for slamming once then wasting a GCD.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Instant slam would push a lot of things out of the rotation. Basically instead of using Overpower, SD Execute, or MS, you'd just rend, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam, slam.

It's more rage efficient than SD execute and MS. It's more damage than MS and overpower.

The obvious counter would be a cooldown. This would cause other huge rotational problems. In the many cases where arms ends up with two free GCDs, instead of slamming twice, you're in for slamming once then wasting a GCD.
    Fury has problems with finding the perfect rotation and keeping things on cooldown because of Blood Surge, so I don't see why that would be a tremendous obstacle to dealing good damage. Outside of that proc, slam really doesn't get utilized very much in it's current capacity, so any change would be welcome IMO.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We're talking about arms here. Fury's slam mechanic goes just fine, TG's playstyle is simply not comparable to how Arms works.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best way to buff damage without making PvP burst retarded is through improving DoTs and haste (see feral druid/rogue design and the incoming rogue changes).

They could buff Improved Rend and tack some sort of "using attack X gives you Y% haste for Z seconds" effect on to an existing deep Arms talent. That'd be a good start.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    forty wrote: »
    The best way to buff damage without making PvP burst retarded is through improving DoTs and haste (see feral druid/rogue design and the incoming rogue changes).

They could buff Improved Rend and tack some sort of "using attack X gives you Y% haste for Z seconds" effect on to an existing deep Arms talent. That'd be a good start.
    Whatever buffs they grant shouldn't be that low in the tree. All that does it give more incentive to go Fury and still pick up the lower half of Arms.

edit: t Dehumanized: I thought the whole point was to alter the broken play style Arms has right now? If damage was more consistent, missing a GCD wouldn't be a real detriment to DPS.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not broken; it's just extremely complicated for worse results than fury has to offer. I don't mind the complication; in fact, I like it. Making slam instant would invalidate both sudden death and taste for blood -- two new mechanics that blizzard seems quite enthusiastic about supporting. Likewise, it could make mortal strike an optional point in a PvE dps build. Slam could do better damage for less rage on no cooldown due to it's unnormalized state.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

And yeah, your threat stats could use a lot of work. I'm not really sure what to tell you to gem for since you seem to have a ton of defense gems.

Well, I can't stay above the 540 def cap without those gems, unfortunately. I can take out the 4 dodge/stam gems or the 5 +24 stam gems. But, what would I replace them with (need red gems for meta). I mean, everyone's first question when I offer to tank is "how much HP do you have" -- so I hesitate to remove those +24 stam gems.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    planetes42 wrote: »

Well, I can't stay above the 540 def cap without those gems, unfortunately. I can take out the 4 dodge/stam gems or the 5 +24 stam gems. But, what would I replace them with (need red gems for meta). I mean, everyone's first question when I offer to tank is "how much HP do you have" -- so I hesitate to remove those +24 stam gems.

Try for the Naxx defense trinket. Failing that, the one from normal HoL.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what glyphs are prot warriors lugging around these days?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

8expertise/12 stam is a good choice for both red and blue sockets

yellows you can go with either 16 defense for mitigation/if you need defense, or 8hit/8 expertise. I'd regem to the second one once you pick up a defense trinket like Repelling Charge.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what glyphs are prot warriors lugging around these days?

Use Glyph of Blocking. Not negotiable :D
    the rest you have a few choices. Glyph of Revenge is the most common second glyph slot. I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, a free HS every 6 seconds from Revenge is pretty cool. On the other hand, you're probably only using HS in a high-rage situation, and if you're in a high-rage situation you don't need it to be free.
    That said, Glyph of Revenge is my personal second glyph.

Then the third is truly down to personal preference. Glyph of Sunder lets you have your devastates put Sunders on an additional nearby mob, which is nice for AOE threat, and for building up reduced armor on the next DPS target. Glyph of Devastate lets you get your 5stack up quicker, which means you can stop using Devastate as much, more quickly, and prioritize higher threat abilities like Shockwave and Concussion Blow. And Glyph of Cleave is nice for clearing trash.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so, at this point, prioritize expertise over hit until I'm dodge capped?

planetes42 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For glyphs I use Blocking(duh!), revenge and devastate. I used sunder for a while but found I really don't need the help holding aoe aggro at all and devastate is better for single target fights. Been tempted to drop revenge for the new cleave glyph for shits and giggles but haven't done it yet.

I think one of the main problems with arms is its defining ability has gone from turning clothies into clouds of fine red dust to balanced to being almost underpowered as time has gone on. Mortal strike has become as common as snares now with rogues posions, aimed shot from hunters, fury's proc rate and even in the hot ms that afflictions locks can place on a target. I actually would be all for reducing the healing debuff if they increased the damage MS did or had it do another effect like maybe a seperate bleed, a huge haste proc(if haste was awesome), a bonus to your next overpower or execute or just something else. But the problem is it is more PvP balancing messing with the PvE of a PvE game.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so, at this point, prioritize expertise over hit until I'm dodge capped?

until you reach dodge cap, expertise gives double benefit, reducing both dodges and parries, for a double benefit over hit.

You should have around 100-110 hit from gear, add a Titanium Weapon Chain or Accuracy to that and you're at 130ish, which is fine until you're sitting at 30+ expertise.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, since Disarm can actually be used on a fair few raid bosses now, lets put together a list of things we've tried to Disarm and what benefit it gave to do so.

Chrono Lord Epoch in Culling of Stratholme can be disarmed.
    Disarming him means that when he does his whirlwindy run around the room thing (thats the technical term), he hits your party members for much much less.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jedoga (the summoning gal in Old Kingdom) can be disarmed. This massively reduces the damage she does, and is useful for the achievement (allowing her to enrage from her followers). It's been a while, but I believe she's also unable to Cyclone Strike while disarmed, which is the real killer.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Baron in Naxx 10, all the weapon carrying trash in OS both 10 and 25 man, Chrono Lord Epoch, King Yidwhatever last boss of UP. Those are the ones I can think of, pretty sure you can disarm others though.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hit 65 last night and toyed around with Prot for the first time.

It's actually pretty impressive. Ran a couple instances as a tank and typically just mashed whichever skills were available to me, never really lost the threat. Need to work out a real cycle to play with. I've already done tanking as a Feral/Paladin/DK

Oh, and that 30 minute taunt buff you put on other people rocks.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Another week of naxx and no armageddon or betrayer.
    I hate this game.

rfalias on
This discussion has been closed.