As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music while gaming. Whaddya listening to?

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
So, I need some suggestions for music to listen to while playing our 4th Ed. D&D game. Ideas? Fantasy'esque please. Thanks! If I don't get any help I'm just going to put the Neverending Story Theme on repeat.

Esh on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My friends and I like to listen to stuff by The Black Mages (If you haven't heard of them, they do metal versions of songs from the Final Fantasy series), as well as general stuff off of OCRemix (usually tracks from RPG soundtracks). You can find some gems there.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My group decided that playing with music wasn't for us, but when we did use it, we just had the Lord of the Rings soundtracks in a CD changer. They were the DM's, so he knew what to switch it to for what times.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    My friends and I like to listen to stuff by The Black Mages (If you haven't heard of them, they do metal versions of songs from the Final Fantasy series), as well as general stuff off of OCRemix (usually tracks from RPG soundtracks). You can find some gems there.

The Black Mages sounds perfect! Thanks!

Esh on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Black Mages are indeed excellent. FF music in general is pretty good for gaming, it tends to be melodic without being too intrusive.

If you game with a computer in the next room, queue up some songs on Youtube from the "No this is the best" video game music thread from G&T. There were some great classics there.

I've found ambient sound coming from another room is better than a stereo in the game room, it tends to be less distracting.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it far too much trouble to actually come up with a soundtrack for gaming. However, I do tend to pipe some E Nomine or one of the many symph metal bands that I listen to into the background.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The past few years of Pen and Paper RPGs have been with Maptools and Ventrilo, so we don't really go for the "music with games" deal, as that would be hard to talk over when using VoiP. Still, our group tends to spontaneously break out in song whenever familiar lyrics are "accidentally" used in our roleplaying. Yes, it's bizarre, but also hilarious. *grin*

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    depending on the scope of your campaign, you actually might consider looking into the World of Warcraft soundtracks. i'd only recommend them if your campaign has a more serious epic-minded tone though because some of the songs are, well, pretty damn epic. they're all orchestral and quite good though, regardless of your opinions on the franchise or the game or whatever.

i listen to them when i'm out and about if i want something orchestral and background-y.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sometimes music can be an awesome enhancement to a game. For instance, whenever a certain NPC would show up he had his own little theme song I would play. Things like that can really pay off (especially hearing the party groan/cheer when something like that comes up) but it sucks if you don't manage it right. Nthing OCremix for songs, lots to chose from. Try listening to some random classical/instrumental music as well. More music for the group and you might actually find something you like outside of that. Just make sure your ambient cave music doesn't have a massive spike in volume and tempo 6 minutes in.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some day I will have a gaming session set to the music of Bal Sagoth.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I totally have "Werewolves of London" on my playlist for our Werewolf: The Forsaken game

=)

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho