As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a BIG MAN, Yes I am, and I've got TWO Big Guns!

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Social Entropy++
psyck0 wrote: »
Ronnie-Coleman---1.jpg

arnold_schwarzenegger_002.jpg

Attention wimps! Please keep us updated on your weight and progress if you're in the anti-fatty program!

Thanks to Talonrazor for this well-written OP; some minor edits have been made.

I want to lose or gain weight!

So do a lot of us. Try to keep us updated regularly with your progress. Some of us are tracking our daily food intakes (here is a good site) and workout for each day and posting those as well.

Guys in the Anti-Fatty Program - Serious Dudes Only Please! This ain't the "I will stop eating McDonalds and lose weight" program
MistaCreepy - Current Weight: 235 Goal Weight: 210
Talonrazor - Current Weight: 213 Goal Weight: 210 - updated 2-2
Javen - Current Weight: 151 Goal Weight: 175
Bucketman - Current Weight: 324lbs Goal Weight: 280
redfenix - Current Weight: 219 Goal Weight: 180
Meissnerd - Current Weight: 220 Goal Weight: 210 - updated 1-21
emericana - Current Weight: 245 Goal Weight: 200 - updated 1-12
SageinaRage - Current Weight: 210 Goal Weight: 180
shorttimin' - Current Weight: 195 Goal Weight: 185
scudo - Current Weight: 157.5 Goal Weight: 175
psyck0 - Current Weight: 190 Goal Weight: 200
Tweaked Bat - Current weight: 187lbs Target weight: 198lbs
webguy20 - Weight 330, immediate goal, 290, long term 190

Well, how do I become a non-fatty!

This is good! Fatties are terrible! Here we are all going to be working hard to get non-fat. Some of us are in bulking stages, adding muscle so they make money selling tickets to the gun show. The rest of us fatties will be cutting, getting rid ourselves of the Michelin Man look. It's going to take hard work and dedication so if you come in here hoping that you'll shed weight by playing your Wii and eating less potato chips, get out. Note that most of this advice is aimed at people cutting.

The first step is diet. You need to not eat shit. Start a food log, either a journal or using FitDay.com or whatever. I like Fit Day's software because the website is shit but you can just as easily use Excel. Examine a typical day of eating calories. Now examine how much calories you burn during the day (you'll need to find a good metabolism counter online). Our goal is to get calories intake to be less than calories burned, to cut, or slightly more if you're bulking. Cutters probably want under 2500 calories a day; bulkers probably want closer to 3000, but calculate this for yourself!!

Now structure new eating habits. The best way to eat is six meals a day, smaller and healthy. Breakfast should be your largest meal, followed by your post-workout meal. Read this post on the bodybuilding.com's forums. It contains good guidelines for pre-. during and post-workout nutrition. Focus on eating lots of greens, fruit, nuts and seeds, lean meats and fish. Good sources of protein like grilled chicken breasts, eggs, fish, milk and mushrooms are vital. For snacking, try bananas or almonds. Get rid of any and all sodas and drink water instead. Drink a lot of water. A good thread for recipes is here.

If you're cutting, exercise is crucial. Do cardio at least 30 minutes, every day. The best is right when you wake up, before breakfast. For fat-burning, long duration, low intensity is the goal. Run, swim, row or bike are the four best ways to get your cardio. If you are super fatty or have bad knees, you might want to do low-impact like swimming, elliptical trainers or stationary rowing. And yes, you still need to weightlift. If you don't, you'll lose a lot of muscle mass which will make bulking even tougher. Even if you don't want to bulk or "look like Ronnie Coleman", you should still be lifting. Do Mark Ripptoe's program or Tube's program. Both are good for beginners and focus on overall strength.

Add a new sport that you've never played before. Play intermural soccer or basketball in college, join a city rec league or even go play baseball with your friends every week. Pick up some martials arts. Go rock climbing or hiking or an outdoors excursion that lasts several hours on the weekends.

CrossFit has a good summary of what "World Class Fitness" is:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
If you need an example, here's what I'm doing

Talon's Plan
Overall Fitness Goal
Prep for Army National Guard Officer courses
Prep for Army Rangers entrance and Ranger School
Prep for Law Enforcement Academy
Body be a Landscape of Sex

Nutrition
- Breakfast (also pre-workout): Omelet at the college cafeteria or five eggs scrambled with glass of skim milk
- Post-workout: Salad with greens, spinach, mushrooms, egg whites, single grilled chicken breast, tomatoes, carrots, peas, no dressing. Two glasses of skim milk
- Lunch: Can of tuna, two pieces of 100% whole wheat bread.
- Supper: Small salad, chicken or tuna or turkey as meat, steamed veggies, glass of skim milk
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with cup of brown rice OR salmon patty between two whole wheat bread slices with brown rice
- Late-Night Snack: Handful of almonds, glass of skim milk
- Water consumption goal of a gallon a day
- One cheat meal during the weekend of whatever I want, like a small bowl of icecream or a shake or a single slice of pizza.

Fitness
- Weightlifting: Tube's workout plan, done MWF. I'll be swapping to a T/TH/Sa routine soon because I'll be taking Advanced Weightlifting through my University.
- Cardio: Every day, before breakfast, either swim for a half-hour to an hour or run for a half-hour. One or twice a week, run for an hour to an hour and half late during the evening.
- Sports: Play soccer for an intermural team once a week, do Brazilian Jui-Jitsu twice a week.
- Weekends: Do a bike ride or a long hike or rock climbing or some kind of excursion lasting at least two hours of intensive activity but also fun.

Every day I log whatever I've done on FitDay and I log my weights, reps and sets in my fitness journal. Every Sunday I weight myself and take body pictures, which I then post here and on my fitness journal.

Now, for bulking!

I want to become The Wook! Where do I start?

First: you may never be equals with this man.

Second:Follow Tube and The Wook's advice. They've been around and know what's best. The plan that Tube created is great for starters (see bottom of the page). A good place to start your weightlifting education is reading Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength. This article is a good starter for new weightlifters. Read this for basic tips on nutrition. If you need help on certain excercise forms, try this website. The goal is lift hard, eat good nutrition and be very consistent. Pay attention to what Tube and wook recommend, they know what they are talking about. If you're brand new to weights, do Starting Strength to start your bulking. After 3-4 months, graduate to another plan like Tube's. Don't forget your protein shakes!

Other Resources

Bodybuilding.com - Good forum and community for fitness
T-nation.com - While aimed at the 'sweet kegger party bra' crowd, it's still packed with tons of super useful information
CrossFit.com - Not for some people, CrossFit is still probably the toughest fitness program out there
ExRx.net - A fantastic resource, this is a huge database of animated .gifs that show correct form to various exercises
FitDay.com - The website can be slow and some people hate it but I like to use the software to maintain an overview of my general fitness level.
*New since last thread*
Elitefts.com/ Another good strength and conditioning resource. Good articles.
NSF.org Dietary supplement guide. Products in these lists are guaranteed to contain everything listed on their labels in the quantities listed. Supps are notorious for fucking you over this way, so buy from a good company.
He watches you.
bunny.jpg

Tube's plan is at the bottom of the OP of the last thread. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=80054

AIN'T NUTTIN' TO IT, BUT TO DO IT!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Larlar wrote:
    Preemptive threadmaking is an exercise in ridiculousness.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He was a bit premature, you would say?

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I approve of the reference in this thread title.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Braincow wrote: »
    He was a bit premature, you would say?

too much testosterone suplement

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey Dub, add me to the OP.

Current weight: 187lbs
    Target weight: 198lbs

When I get to 198lbs I'll update and see if I want to progress.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i've convinced a girl I like to do squats with me if I go to a yoga class. who wins?!

you both do

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Worst workout ever.

Hardly finished my squats, didn't finish my bench, felt like fainting and had to come home. Can hardly focus my eyes.

Feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen. Not sure what happened. Blech.

Just bitching, not looking for advice. At least I finished the squats!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All this milk and food is really helping me recover quicker. Let's hope it gives me some results with my bench and press.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Out of random curiosity, how old are all you dudes and dudettes?

I'm 20.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm younger than you by a whole year, psyck0

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i've convinced a girl I like to do squats with me if I go to a yoga class. who wins?!

you both do

except for the inevitable farting in front of eachother

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So my girlfriend and I are going to be doing P90X together. Is this a horrible thing? My fitness counselor recommended it and I figured I'd try it for three months on top of my intervals, swimming and rock climbing. Should I keep up my weights while doing it or no?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, I keep saying that I'm trying to cut and lose weight, but I keep eating and training like I'm bulking. Basically, I'm still at my weight that's been in the op for like 2 months....but all my lifts have gone up, though.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    So my girlfriend and I are going to be doing P90X together. Is this a horrible thing? My fitness counselor recommended it and I figured I'd try it for three months on top of my intervals, swimming and rock climbing. Should I keep up my weights while doing it or no?

My brother and his wife did p90x.

It can be pretty rough apparently

Jyardana on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey OP
    drop me to 219
    i think i just mis-weighed back when, cause i'm pretty sure i haven't dropped 10 pounds on accident

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Talonrazor wrote: »

My brother and his wife did p90x.

It can be pretty rough apparently

This is what I hear. Hopefully it will cause me to shed that extra couple of percents of bodyfat I need to lose.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Out of random curiosity, how old are all you dudes and dudettes?

I'm 20.

21 in about 3 months time.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey op! Track me too.

Weight 330, immediate goal, 290, long term 190

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm turning 23 in a few weeks here.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm 21 and I'm 5'5" or 5'6" maybe and I weigh a chubby 145-150 ish

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm 20.

Also, thanks for everyone's advice on the press stuff; I'll go do that.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i'm oooooooooooooooold

28 in july

redfenix on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm 24 yet look barely 21

Jyardana on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    i'm oooooooooooooooold

28 in july

28 in June

6'1

~240

Likes long walks on the beach

the wook on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    22 in a bit here...

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you know that muscle-nerve thing

where sometimes you can't do something not because you don't have the strength but because your muscles don't know how because you've never had to do it before

experienced that in SPADES last night at my first ever attempt at rock climbing... pissed me off because I knew I could do the climb, knew I was strong enough to do the climb, but my hands and arms were just not answering me!

recent volleyball injury in the knee likely not helping, but I'm working on that

and I wore out FAST, holy shit after the first few climbs, which were pretty quick, I really couldn't do much more

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited February 2009

My problem is that I will reach 200lbs and I'll still look thin.

Like, not rail thin, you will be able to see some good definition, but because I'm 6'4", I won't actually look that big.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm 22, turning 23 in exactly a month.

feels good

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Like, not rail thin, you will be able to see some good definition, but because I'm 6'4", I won't actually look that big.

looking big is just as much a matter of cuts as it is a matter of actual size

the wook on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ok, I updated the OP with your stats n stuff

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey dublo we gonna hang out some time since I'm in the area?

you're pretty neat, I'd love to meet ya

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    edit - I think I'm busy this Sunday, but I will see what's going on. If I can make it, I will post in the thread for sure.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My right shoulder gave the fuck out on my fifth rep of my fifth incline bench set.

That was pretty cool.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Were you drunk while lifting, Pooro?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the wook wrote: »

looking big is just as much a matter of cuts as it is a matter of actual size

True...

I'm just lamenting over the fact that I went from 165 to 187 and you can't really tell much has changed about me unless you really look closely. Although that's probably because I see myself every day so I don't notice it. I guess a couple of people have made small comments now that I think about it.

I probably should've taken starting photos back mid last year to use a reference. Ah well.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Nope, it was at like seven a.m. this morning.

Which led to me discovering that the morning crowd at my gym is irritatingly talkative. In most situations, "dude with headphones" and "dude who wants to be left alone" are synonymous. Not so in the mornings at my gym, apparently.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Which led to me discovering that the morning crowd at my gym is irritatingly talkative. In most situations, "dude with headphones" and "dude who wants to be left alone" are synonymous. Not so in the mornings at my gym, apparently.
    That's annoying. Then again, I can't really hear people talking, as I've always got my iPod with me.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

if somebody tries to talk to you, walk through them

if you're so intent you can't see them, they certainly won't expect you to hear them

the wook on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was a test Pooro.

You talked back at them.

You have failed the test.

Now that they know you are not deaf they will always talk to you.

You will have to find a new gym.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What was that? I can't hear you over the sound of you trying to waste my time

the wook on
This discussion has been closed.