As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extract DVD audio (with chapter breaks)?

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
Basically what the thread title implies, I'd like a freeware utility that will allow me to pull the audio from an unencrypted VIDEO_TS folder out into individual files for each chapter. Basically a CD-ripper but for DVDs. This specific video's main audio track is LPCM, not AC3 or DTS, if that matters (it's a concert film).

mcdermott on

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried Handbrake? I don't know if it has this particular functionality you're describing but it does damn near everything else.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried Handbrake? I don't know if it has this particular functionality you're describing but it does damn near everything else.

The FAQ says that it can't.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lifehacker comes through(?) I don't know if it can do anything other than MP3...don't know if that's a problem or not (not on a Windows machine so I can't test it out)

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Awesome, I'll give that a shot.

I knew about Handbrake, and that it wouldn't do the trick. I think FFmpegX might have, but I'm not on a Mac now. I'm actually generally handy with these things, this is just something I've never had to do before.

EDIT: No joy. Looks like it just does manual VOB->MP3 conversion, with manual start/stop points. I can already do that with the software I've got. I'll probably just have to do this semi-manually (convert a chapter at a time to a video file, then demux out the audio).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Awesome, I'll give that a shot.

I knew about Handbrake, and that it wouldn't do the trick. I think FFmpegX might have, but I'm not on a Mac now. I'm actually generally handy with these things, this is just something I've never had to do before.

EDIT: No joy. Looks like it just does manual VOB->MP3 conversion, with manual start/stop points. I can already do that with the software I've got. I'll probably just have to do this semi-manually (convert a chapter at a time to a video file, then demux out the audio).

If I had a DVD with LCPM audio I would test a possible solution. MPlayer/MEncoder are already capable of dumping and encoding audio, and you can specify the DVD title and chapters to start and end at. It would just be a matter of wrapping it up into something more convenient to use (both are CLI applications).

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Shit, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, I think MPlayer alone is all I need to get it out as .wav files. I'll just have to fiddle with the command line to get it do exactly what I want.

Once I've got .wav files, obviously converting them is trivial.

Sweet, thanks!

EDIT: It's been like four years since I've used MPlayer as an actual command-line program.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Shit, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, I think MPlayer alone is all I need to get it out as .wav files. I'll just have to fiddle with the command line to get it do exactly what I want.

Once I've got .wav files, obviously converting them is trivial.

Sweet, thanks!

EDIT: It's been like four years since I've used MPlayer as an actual command-line program.

Try something like:
    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 2 -vc dummy -vo null -dumpaudio -dumpfile "output.wav"

The integer on the "dvd://<int>" bit is which title to play. Chapter can take two arguments as a range: the first is what chapter to play, the second is which chapter to stop at. The second argument might be inclusive (it isn't specified and I haven't used it in an eternity), so for only one chapter you might need to do "-chapter 3-3".

Barrakketh on