As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I'm planning a D&D4 session

SweetdaddyGSweetdaddyG Lisburn, Northern IrelandRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
Haven't played D&D in years and I thought I would get a few buddies over to play some D&D 4th edition. I'm going to be running the show as DM, just wondered if anyone has some advice on making the game a success? Was thinking of breaking everyone in gently by starting with the core beginners pack and doing the scenarios included in it.

None of the other participants have played D&D before. :|

sweetdaddyg on Nintendo Network+Live/sweetdaddyg1 on PSN
SweetdaddyG on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The most important rule is to have fun. In the end, it's a social gathering of friends with dice and an interesting story.

Also to make it easier for them, download the D&D character builder from their site and use that to print out everyone's sheets. It's easy to read, calculates all of the modifiers, and has a handy sheet of your character's abilities with all the modifiers for attack rolls, damage, etc listed on it for each of the abilities.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    SweetdaddyGSweetdaddyG Lisburn, Northern IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    The most important rule is to have fun. In the end, it's a social gathering of friends with dice and an interesting story.

Also to make it easier for them, download the D&D character builder from their site and use that to print out everyone's sheets. It's easy to read, calculates all of the modifiers, and has a handy sheet of your character's abilities with all the modifiers for attack rolls, damage, etc listed on it for each of the abilities.

Thanks yeah I am using the character builder, its an excellent tool. One of my friends is adamant he plans to use one of the others as a human shield lol. I will allow it only as long as its funny.

SweetdaddyG on
    sweetdaddyg on Nintendo Network+Live/sweetdaddyg1 on PSN
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of roleplaying, at the end of a session, my DM has a roleplayer of the night award decided by secret vote of the players. The winner get a small amount of bonus XP.

And on the subject of roleplaying, the Fate Stream can be handy for helping flesh out the details of the character's backstories if the players didn't already do that on their own. It's all optional, and involves a lot of dice rolling so it is a good thing for the player to do on their own. I don't know the URL for it(I am sure google can find it), but I can email it when I get home from work tonight if you wish to take a glance at it.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]