As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Budget Week at the White House!

13»

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, 'bout those tax cuts for the lower and middle class?

Psych!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wulf wrote: »

Psych!

Last time I checked the Federal Govt doesn't set Mass' gas tax

Fuck you Lou Dobbs

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Psych!

Fuck you Lou Dobbs

Obama is neither Massachusetts or California, goddammit!

Also, fuck rich people, I don't give a shit.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Psych!

Fail. Learn how the government works. Just because it was important enough to Lou Dobbs to take a breath and show between his bigoted rants about Mexicans doesn't mean that it gets to ignore that President Obama doesn't determine state tax rates.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man fuck, if I made more than a quarter million a year, I'd happily pay an extra 4% on the excess money. Because, you know, I'd be making more every year than the total cost of my mortgage.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

Psych!

Fuck you Lou Dobbs

Obama is neither Massachusetts or California, goddammit!

Also, fuck rich people, I don't give a shit.

Fuck rich Americans. In the UK, any earnings over £37,000 are in the 40% higher tax bracket.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President Barack Obama should veto a 410-billion-dollar spending bill and work to freeze government outlays for the rest of the year, a top Republican lawmaker said Friday.

Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner said that the US unemployment rate surge to 8.1 percent, with 651,000 jobs lost in February, demanded austerity from Washington at a time when Americans are tightening their belts.

"The American people want and deserve better solutions from both parties in Washington, and they expect us to work together to make the same tough budget choices they are being forced to make during this economic downturn," he said.

Boehner said the massive spending bill to cover government operations through October 1 was a perfect example of the wasteful spending Obama had vowed to battle during his 2008 presidential run.

"I hope he will follow through on that promise by vetoing this legislation if it passes the Senate and working with House Republicans to enact a spending freeze for the remainder of this fiscal year," he said in a statement.

Boehner's comments came as the House voted on a "continuing resolution" to keep the US government open until Wednesday in order to give the divided Senate time to approve the spending bill.

The Senate was expected to approve the stopgap measure, then resume debate on the spending package.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hWTvSpjWZaVHxxODYgRARWSTKF5A

D:

Dr. No strikes again!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner said that the US unemployment rate surge to 8.1 percent, with 651,000 jobs lost in February, demanded austerity from Washington at a time when Americans are tightening their belts.

No it doesn't :x

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WASHINGTON (AFP) — US President Barack Obama should veto a 410-billion-dollar spending bill and work to freeze government outlays for the rest of the year, a top Republican lawmaker said Friday.

"The American people want and deserve better solutions from both parties in Washington, and they expect us to work together to make the same tough budget choices they are being forced to make during this economic downturn," he said.

Boehner said the massive spending bill to cover government operations through October 1 was a perfect example of the wasteful spending Obama had vowed to battle during his 2008 presidential run.

"I hope he will follow through on that promise by vetoing this legislation if it passes the Senate and working with House Republicans to enact a spending freeze for the remainder of this fiscal year," he said in a statement.

Boehner's comments came as the House voted on a "continuing resolution" to keep the US government open until Wednesday in order to give the divided Senate time to approve the spending bill.

The Senate was expected to approve the stopgap measure, then resume debate on the spending package.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hWTvSpjWZaVHxxODYgRARWSTKF5A

D:

Dr. No strikes again!

Yes, we should totally lay off thousands of people to show solidarity with the American people who are clipping coupons on their own austerity budget after getting laid off. You know, rather than getting them a job so they no longer have to be on an austerity budget. That makes perfect sense.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the sad part is that same report showed the only growing segments of the jobs market is health care and the government

but yeah fuck the government

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Education isn't anymore? It had been.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    why does this minority party get so much say and why didnt the democrats get this say the past 8 years?

:x

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Barcardi wrote: »
    why does this minority party get so much say and why didnt the democrats get this say the past 8 years?

:x

Aside from Obama the Dems are still awful at message control

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is pay roll deducted before taxes? Meaning if the lady want's to not get taxed on the few hundred dollars over 250k she could give her employees raises, or hire a new one?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Because the Republicans are constantly playing the part of loudmouth blowhards. Also- hard to compete with them when you're a field mouse.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    McCaskill goes after GOP hypocrisy
    It's a bit of "they did it too" but at least some people are being open about whats going on with the earmarks. Its a bit surprising that GOP members actually are the biggest abusers of ear marks given their minority position though.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    ( <3 McCaskill )
    It's a bit of "they did it too" but at least some people are being open about whats going on with the earmarks. Its a bit surprising that GOP members actually are the biggest abusers of ear marks given their minority position though.
    That's awesome.

In today's Indianapolis Star on the front page there's a break-down of how much of the stimulus Indiana is getting, and news-worthy things about how it'll be spent, etc etc. 2 of our reps (Burton (R), Pence (R)) have both vowed to not seek any of the money. It's kind of sad to think that the people in that area are getting screwed over because their reps have to stick to ideology instead of what's best for the people they represent.

Also, Bayh can suck it. He's getting awfully frustrating. :x

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gawd.

I fucking hate Menendez. What a slimy git, and now he's basically keeping the Senate Dem's at 59 votes because he's got his panties in a twist over some Cuba-related provisions in the omnibus spending bill.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gawd.

I fucking hate Menendez. What a slimy git, and now he's basically keeping the Senate Dem's at 59 votes because he's got his panties in a twist over some Cuba-related provisions in the omnibus spending bill.
    This would be a really good time for Reid to have a spine.

Or- and this is what I would do- get him and the GOP people that look halfway swingable together and say 'I will please one of you to get to 60 votes. One. Make your offers. Lowest bid wins. And then I had better get that vote or you will never get anything from me again.'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docid=news-000003070256

In a nutshell:

GOP: 'We should cut spending!'
    OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET: 'Okay, I don't think we need this aerial refueling tanker or this long-range bomber. That should save us a couple dozen billion.'
    GOP: 'YOU'LL KILL US ALL!'

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    McCaskill is pretty awesome there.

Of course, earmarks still don't matter at all. Since theyre like 2% of the budget and if they wernt appropriated to specific programs by congressman then that money would just go to government departments.

So let's just not talk about them, at all, any more.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Everyone remember the Politifact website that was supposedly going to track Obama's promises? They got lazy or they intended it as a hit job. They claim to still be keeping it updated
    Obama's score at halftime: 17 promises kept, 2 broken

But even a half-assed look will find promises already kept that have been ignored. I've sent in emails pointing this out to no effect. Some specific examples:
    No Action wrote:
    "Raise the small business investment expensing limit to $250,000 through the end of 2009

Will provide "temporary business tax incentives through 2009. The February 2008 stimulus bill increased maximum Section 179 expenses to $250,000 but this expires in December 2008. This provision will encourage all firms to pursue investment in the coming months, but will particularly benefit small firms which generally have smaller amounts of annual property purchases and so choose to expense the cost of their acquired property.""
    has been met by section 1202 of the stimulus bill
    SEC. 1202. TEMPORARY INCREASE IN LIMITATIONS ON EXPENSING OF CERTAIN DEPRECIABLE BUSINESS ASSETS.
    (a) In General- Paragraph (7) of section 179(b) is amended--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
    (1) by striking ‘2008’ and inserting ‘2008, or 2009’, andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
    (2) by striking ‘2008’ in the heading thereof and inserting ‘2008, AND 2009’.
    Barack Obama Campaign Promise No. 459

"We will leverage private sector funding to bring these cars directly to American consumers. We'll give consumers a $7,000 tax credit to buy these vehicles."
    This was also accomplished in the stimulus bill
    319, 445, 496, 464 and a number of others have already been addressed in the stimulus bill, but apparently it was too big to read through.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Didn't they say it would only take a week to update all the stimulus bill stuff?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Didn't they say it would only take a week to update all the stimulus bill stuff?

Yeah but they are kinda full of it. They sent me 1 replay Feb 24
    Thanks for all the emails. We are still updating stimulus promises, believe it or not. I'm hopeful we'll get to these soon (like this week).
    but there hasn't been a lot of movement in stimulus related promises. They've updated 15+ other promises based on post-stimulus action though.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png