Options

Investment in television programming on an irreversible decline?

2»

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    zakkiel wrote: »
    TV is on it's way out. Baby boomers were responsible for much of the TV viewings in last years because they grew up with it.

But over all, younger generations have been watching TV less and less, and have been demanding things that the world "owes" them.

5 million viewers? That's a pretty shitty number. Lonelygirl15 got like 1 million viewers for 2 minute blogs.

The only thing I watch TV for is news.
    Of course you, the measure of all things, speak for humanity.

I will agree that ad-based television will die. I just don't see any way around it. I would bet on subscription models for the future, and shows may not be exclusive to one channel.
    I think on-demand stuff is the answer. Digital cable is going to become the standard. Networks don't even have to have a subscription fee they can just pack in commercials with the shows and set up some kind of "per view fee" for the advertisers.

Hoz on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hirocon wrote: »
    A lot of people here are making reality shows sound evil, but they can be victims of early cancellations too. Anyone remember My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss? Yeah, it sucked, but so does American Idol.

Am I the only one who doesn't quite understnad the point of this statement? The way I'm reading it is that My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss sucked and was canceled early, thus it was a victim of wrongful early cancellation?
    I don't pay for cable, I don't buy DVDs, and I almost never watch commercials (I either tape TV and fast forward through commercials, or check the DVDs out of my local library). The only money television networks get from me is through product placement. Which is why The Office isn't going to be canceled any time soon.

While you checking DVDs out of your local library instead of purchasing them (assuming you would have ever purchased them to begin with) is a semi valid argument, you do realize that you not paying for cable or watching commercials has nothing at all to do with a network making money, right?
    I am not entirely opposed to a decent subscription-based model, especially since my local library inexplicably skips some very important DVDs (Futurama? Arrested Development Season 3?)

You've...you've given me pause with this last part because your local library is not the free equivalent of a video rental store, nor should it be. Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to say here wrong, but are you trying to imply that you should be able to rent comedic television programs from public libraries?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am not entirely opposed to a decent subscription-based model, especially since my local library inexplicably skips some very important DVDs (Futurama? Arrested Development Season 3?)

You've...you've given me pause with this last part because your local library is not the free equivalent of a video rental store, nor should it be. Maybe I'm reading what you're trying to say here wrong, but are you trying to imply that you should be able to rent comedic television programs from public libraries?

Actually, a lot of public libraries have good selections of DVDs...they're not just for books and PBS specials anymore. And is there any particular reason a library shouldn't be the free equivalent of a video rental store?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hrm, no after thnking about where it'd probably end up and how far that is from the OP I don't think this is the place to go into it.

All I'm going to say is that while I really don't think a public library is the place to be getting your TV-DVD fix I can readily see and understand arguements both for it and against it so lets head this off before this thread gets derailed into someting it isn't supposed to be. If someone wants to make another thread though I think it could be interesting.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A lot of people here are making reality shows sound evil, but they can be victims of early cancellations too. Anyone remember My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss? Yeah, it sucked, but so does American Idol.

Am I the only one who doesn't quite understnad the point of this statement? The way I'm reading it is that My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss sucked and was canceled early, thus it was a victim of wrongful early cancellation?
    I don't pay for cable, I don't buy DVDs, and I almost never watch commercials (I either tape TV and fast forward through commercials, or check the DVDs out of my local library). The only money television networks get from me is through product placement. Which is why The Office isn't going to be canceled any time soon.

While you checking DVDs out of your local library instead of purchasing them (assuming you would have ever purchased them to begin with) is a semi valid argument, you do realize that you not paying for cable or watching commercials has nothing at all to do with a network making money, right?

1st question: basically I just wanted an excuse to mention My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss. I actually watched that show and enjoyed it until it was canceled, because it was such a total train wreck. I was disappointed when it was canceled, but I certainly didn't lose sleep over it. It wasn't as big a deal as, say, the canceling of Arrested Development.

2nd: I was lumping cable stations into the category of "networks." I assume stations like Comedy Central get more money if more people get cable, right? Or is the cable TV business model set up in some weird way that I don't fully understand? My not watching commercials is a real problem; advertisers aren't willing to pay as much for traditional advertisements now that more people are using TiVo to skip commercials. I don't actually use TiVo, I just use a VCR, but the concept is the same. Advertisers are willing to pay more to advertise in shows that will actually be watched as they air, not sometime later, will is why TV "events" are becoming increasingly important. Who wants to TiVo American Idol and watch it later? Fans want to watch it as it airs so they can vote, talk about who got kicked off the next day, etc. That's not as important with shows like Arrested Development.

3rd: I love my library system and my taxes support it, so I might as well make use of it. I actually wish they would stock and let people check out video games, but I doubt that will ever happen. My library gets DVDs of almost all feature films (eventually) and box sets of many TV shows, but not all TV shows. If I could pay a subscription fee to get a steady schedule of Arrested Development-quality television, above and beyond what I get for my taxes at the library, I could go for it. Actually I'm pretty much describing premium cable, which I could see myself getting someday.

In regards to the OP, I completely agree, too many series are prematurely canceled and it discourages viewers from becoming invested in new series. I'm part of the problem. For example, I don't watch Heroes because I'm waiting for my library to get the inevitable DVDs. But I have no intention of changing my ways. It's the tragedy of the commons. At least I'm not an American Idol fan.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Meh. I just spent $50 on season 1 of Jeeves and Wooster.

5 episodes.

You brits may know comedy, but you sure as fuck don't know good value for your dollar.

We wait until the sales ;) I bought the complete Jeeves & Wooster box set (all seasons) for £25 :D

I'm with the 'tell a concise story, wrap up a season neatly' crowd. Yes, Lost is a prime example of a show that's probably best off being restricted to one or two seasons. I mean damn, just 6 episodes that were up to the standard of the first two would've been fantastic.

However, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy and other serial dramas/comedies that don't have a particular over-reaching story arc can continue for as long as they like, so long as the writers can keep up the good work. If a show like that is cancelled it doesn't seem to matter quite so much because there's no real ending point for the characters other than growing old and grey and settling down. Even then I'd prefer that there weren't too many seasons so that I can buy the complete box set without being too much out of pocket ;)

What I just can't understand is cutting off a show that's telling a valid story and thus forcing them to rush and wrap it up as quickly as possible. Arrested Development did feel a little rushed towards the end.

Janson on