As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink?

echolocationecholocation Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So recently there's been some serious talk around here about the fact that you're able to join the army and go and fight at the age of 18, and yet the drinking age is still 21. People have been talking about some upcoming changes that should be made in the law, that either:

A) The drinking age for all should be reduced to 18.

B) The drinking age for all people in the military should be reduced to 18.

Personally I'm against both. With the fact that there's already a rather large amount of deaths due to drunk driving and abuse of alcohol, I don't think the age should be reduced to 18, because I'm not saying that ALL 18 year olds are irresponsible, but there are some. To allow them to drink would most likely induce binge drinking, drunk driving, and all that wonderful stuff, causing alcohol poisioning, and probably more deaths off innocent people on the road.

As well with the second option, I'm also against that. People in the military that are 18 don't need to be drinking either, I mean sure, they probably do already, But the risk that maybe they'll get drunk, act irresponsibly, or get themself killed in battle is just too great. Considering alcohol isn't that important within one's life, I reason that they can wait the few extra years when they have gotten a wee bit mroe responsible.

Anyways, I just wanted to know what you guys think about reducing the alcohol age limit.

echolocation on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The US is really strange about drinking.

I'm given to understand that it's extremely unusual for anyone to drink while underage in a family context (like wine with dinner, champagne at new year kind of thing).

EDIT: To add something of substance, I don't think it would be a bad thing for the US as a whole to be less scared of alcohol. I've been drinking in moderation since about 14 and it hasn't done me any harm.

japan on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I say get rid of the drinking age.

Maybe, just maybe, drinking wouldnt be this huge passage of right were a bunch of moron kids go out and binge drink and die. Then we wouldnt have to hear about how these dumbasses killed themselves on the news and how we should all feel sorry for a moron who drank himself to death.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    japan wrote: »

I'm given to understand that it's extremely unusual for anyone to drink while underage in a family context (like wine with dinner, champagne at new year kind of thing).

Not in any considerable amount, but there are sips of wine, usually at religious events (apparently, Christian consumption is also legal under cannibalism laws).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

EDIT: To add something of substance, I don't think it would be a bad thing for the US as a whole to be less scared of alcohol. I've been drinking in moderation since about 14 and it hasn't done me any harm.

We're terribly fucked up in our attitudes about alcohol. If you're not 21 you shouldn't drink, *wink, wink, nudge nudge* but if you're over 21 you should be drinking as a solution to all your problems.

The "Die for your country" argument is irrelevant. The real argument is that by pushing the drinking age to 18 we could actually have a shot in hell at overseeing college drinking and get it out of the fucking shadows. Right now most college students have to hide that they're drinking which helps fuel the binge drinking shtick.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    echolocationecholocation Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Maybe, just maybe, drinking wouldnt be this huge passage of right were a bunch of moron kids go out and binge drink and die. Then we wouldnt have to hear about how these dumbasses killed themselves on the news and how we should all feel sorry for a moron who drank himself to death.

So basically, what you're saying is that if kids are allowed to drink at any age, by the time they reach driving age it won't be "WOOOOOOO just drank 40 beers cause I'm cool like that! Now let's Go Drive!"?

I find this plausible.

echolocation on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As well with the second option, I'm also against that. People in the military that are 18 don't need to be drinking either, I mean sure, they probably do already, But the risk that maybe they'll get drunk, act irresponsibly, or get themself killed in battle is just too great.
    The chance of this is already because no one is allowed to drink while on a mission regardless of age. So I don't see what being 18 has to do with it. And since you think people drink anyway I don't get why you think having and age rule is an improvement. More so, I consider signing away your life for four to six years to be a far more dangerous decision that drinking a Guinness.

To say nothing of the fact that due to our retarded drinking laws there's a taboo around it leading to massive binge drinking.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Really, my primary concern is that in the US, it seems that most people's first exposure to alchohol is in an illicit context away from those able to advise and guide in it's correct enjoyment.

That can't be healthy.

japan on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd rather see the drinking age lowered to 16 and driver's license to 18.

moniker on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

So basically, what you're saying is that if kids are allowed to drink at any age, by the time they reach driving age it won't be "WOOOOOOO just drank 40 beers cause I'm cool like that! Now let's Go Drive!"?

I find this plausible.

I don't.

A drunk is a drunk.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I find this plausible.
    Have you heard of a little place called most of Europe? Also, in most states minors can drink with parental permission and shit still hasn't hit the fan. I don't think you've actually looked in to this subject much.

Quid on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

I find this plausible.

It's like abortions. Keeping it illegal just makes it more dangerous. I don't necessarily agree with getting rid of drinking age completely, but if we bumped it down to 18 you let those frat boy binge drinkers bring their behavior out in the open.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    While we're at it, I also consider killing a person to be a more dangerous than drinking a Guinness.

Quid on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I find this plausible.

Despite our glorification of drinking the one thing that MADD have done is I've never met somebody my age who thinks drunk driving is cool, alright, whatever.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Would never pass. Some people have work and shit to do by the time they are 16, and they need to get to those places. We are not Europe where people just walk everywhere because they are so tiny anyway and our mass transit system is pretty shoddy in some parts of this country.

So in short, you proposed a terrible idea, completely out of touch with the special needs of American lives.

Obs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With the fact that there's already a rather large amount of deaths due to drunk driving and abuse of alcohol, I don't think the age should be reduced to 18, because I'm not saying that ALL 18 year olds are irresponsible, but there are some. To allow them to drink would most likely induce binge drinking, drunk driving, and all that wonderful stuff, causing alcohol poisioning, and probably more deaths off innocent people on the road.

Why would this be likely?

Personally, I think that removing the taboo associated with underaged drinking would put us in a better position to combat things like binge drinking and drunk driving. If you can't get in trouble for being drunk, then you can't get in trouble for calling your parents for a ride or leaving your car at a friend's house and taking a cab home instead. Furthermore, if parents know you're drinking, then they're closer to knowing how much you're drinking, and if it's too much.
    As well with the second option, I'm also against that. People in the military that are 18 don't need to be drinking either, I mean sure, they probably do already, But the risk that maybe they'll get drunk, act irresponsibly, or get themself killed in battle is just too great. Considering alcohol isn't that important within one's life, I reason that they can wait the few extra years when they have gotten a wee bit mroe responsible.

I doubt anyone, regardless of age, is allowed to drink before battle.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't imagine how annoying going to university in the states would be. I barely drink, but damned if I didn't enjoy not having to worry about being fucking arrested for throwing a party.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Really, my primary concern is that in the US, it seems that most people's first exposure to alchohol is in an illicit context away from those able to advise and guide in it's correct enjoyment.

That can't be healthy.

Technically that isn't necessarily true. You can legally drink while under 21 so long as it is under parental supervision. So if your parents don't mind letting you have a glass of wine or a beer every now and again you might not become an idiot. The only thing is most people don't know this, and regardless it doesn't ensure kids don't go out binge drinking when the context changes as having that glass of wine has become illicit.

Also, first communion &c. is already legal as was said. So the simple solution is for everyone to become Catholic.

moniker on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Obs wrote: »

I find this plausible.

I don't.

A drunk is a drunk.

Yet a raving bigoted moron is still a valid participant for debate.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ALSO worth note, any military base within fifty miles of Mexico or Canada can set lower the drinking age to 18 on their base. And often do since the other option is their people crossing the border and getting drunk in another country. It's the one thing that made Fort Bliss awesome for a lot of people in my battalion.

Quid on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I wouldn't call it extremely unusual. I had champagne at the new year before I was 21, and it's not a big deal if one of the 18 to 20 year old cousins has a beer or two at a family party.

Whenever "first alcoholic drink" comes up in conversation, it's usually something like a screwdriver the person's uncle made for him or her, at 16 or so.

That said, it is somewhat unusual, and I don't know many people underage who regularly have a glass of wine with dinner or anything.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That can't be healthy.

Technically that isn't necessarily true. You can legally drink while under 21 so long as it is under parental supervision. So if your parents don't mind letting you have a glass of wine or a beer every now and again you might not become an idiot. The only thing is most people don't know this, and regardless it doesn't ensure kids don't go out binge drinking when the context changes as having that glass of wine has become illicit.

Also, first communion &c. is already legal as was said. So the simple solution is for everyone to become Catholic.

Actually I'm pretty sure that in my state (Connecticut) adults who allow underage drinking in their house are arrestable. I forget what the exact charge is.

Food on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Would never pass. Some people have work and shit to do by the time they are 16, and they need to get to those places. We are not Europe where people just walk everywhere because they are so tiny anyway and our mass transit system is pretty shoddy in some parts of this country.

So in short, you proposed a terrible idea, completely out of touch with the special needs of American lives.

I didn't realize most 16 year old were emancipated in the rest of the country. The more you know.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I didn't realize most 16 year old were emancipated in the rest of the country. The more you know.

You've never heard of 16 year olds having jobs or doing work outside the home, or going to school?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Food wrote: »

That can't be healthy.

Actually I'm pretty sure that in my state (Connecticut) adults who allow underage drinking in their house are arrestable. I forget what the exact charge is.

Well, if they aren't the other kids' parents it wouldn't really qualify as parental supervision.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Last I checked you were also a major advocate more massively improved public transit across the board.

What I'm saying is you're the world's biggest phony.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You've never heard of 16 year olds having jobs or doing work outside the home, or going to school?

Yes. I was one of them. What does that have to do with what you were talking about?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That can't be healthy.

Well, if they aren't the other kids' parents it wouldn't really qualify as parental supervision.

Just checked and it turns out it can be your kids too.
    With summer in full swing and the School year just around the corner here are a few things about underage alcohol use. The legal age for consuming and purchasing alcohol in connecticut is 21 years old. People under 21 who drink are breaking the law. Parents or other adults who allow them to drink or who purchase alcohol for underage youths are also breaking the law.

That's from the website of a town near me.

Food on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The drinking age should never be lowered. I think the drinking age in the UK should be raised to 21 for definite, It's shows pretty strongly that the drinking atmosphere of the UK is pretty appalling sometimes and I can't see it being better in the US if the age was 18 as well.

Just because your old enough to make your own decisions it doesn't mean you're mature enough to act properly when drunk. Although, 21+ year olds can tend to be just as bad, it just makes it more definite.

Johannen on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This seems relevant:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/222216/march-19-2009/john-mccardell

This guy is a former university president, and is spearheading the movement among college administrators to lower the drinking age to 18. He makes good arguments I think, and has a lot of colleagues on board (apologies to non-US residents if you can't see the video, not sure if that's still goign on)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That can't be healthy.

Yeah, my problem is with the taboo more than anything else, I wasn't certain about the legalities of it. The point I'm making is that from my (admittedly limited) interactions with Americans I get the impression that most people aren't being introduced to alcohol via watered wine with dinner, or a couple of beers while watching the football, or similar.

Instead, it seems that the world of fake IDs and hiding it from the parents is far more common. Not to say that doesn't happen here, either, but it's rare that it'll be someone's first experience with booze or it's effects.

Basically "drinking age" is kind of a red herring when discussing how society should deal with alcohol, because it's a relatively minor consideration.

Regarding communion, my understanding is that it's a sip? Nobody is going to develop an understanding of responsible alcohol use from that alone.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That can't be healthy.

With summer in full swing and the School year just around the corner here are a few things about underage alcohol use. The legal age for consuming and purchasing alcohol in connecticut is 21 years old. People under 21 who drink are breaking the law. Parents or other adults who allow them to drink or who purchase alcohol for underage youths are also breaking the law.

That's interesting.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Handy site for finding out the state laws.

Quid on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    It varies between states. In Ohio you can give your kids a drink, and I think between 18 and 21 you can even drink with your kid in a bar provided that you buy the drink and are there with them.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Personally I'm against both. With the fact that there's already a rather large amount of deaths due to drunk driving and abuse of alcohol, I don't think the age should be reduced to 18, because I'm not saying that ALL 18 year olds are irresponsible, but there are some. To allow them to drink would most likely induce binge drinking, drunk driving, and all that wonderful stuff, causing alcohol poisioning, and probably more deaths off innocent people on the road.

First of all, a lot of countries have drinking ages set at 18 already, and their country hasn't come down around their ears.

Second of all, binge drinking is a result IMO of not getting to drink very often, so you over indulge when you get the opportunity. If you have the ability to walk into a store and buy alcohol at any point, that need to overindulge drops greatly.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

First of all, a lot of countries have drinking ages set at 18 already, and their country hasn't come down around their ears.

Second of all, binge drinking is a result IMO of not getting to drink very often, so you over indulge when you get the opportunity. If you have the ability to walk into a store and buy alcohol at any point, that need to overindulge drops greatly.

Also, if you have to walk to a bar, pay a minimum of around $5 for a drink, and then walk home, you're less likely to get quite as incredibly shitfaced.

I mean, technically you could just binge in your room, but what kind of loser has a party in the dorms instead of going out?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    After looking through the actual bills passed in Connecticut, it seems like it is alright for parents to allow their children to drink. Strangely, this is not how it's been portrayed to us, not by that website I quoted earlier or by the high school I went to when that law was passed.

Food on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Which is generally noticeable amongst 21 year olds in comparison to 18 year olds. By the time all my friends could legally drink they were pretty much indifferent about it by a week later.

moniker on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, if you have to walk to a bar, pay a minimum of around $5 for a drink, and then walk home, you're less likely to get quite as incredibly shitfaced.

True. You'd be surprised at the determination of a lot of college students, however.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I was stationed in Guam (US owned third-world country) the local drinking age was 18 and we have a lot of kids in the service that are fresh out of high school.

Thinking back on it, I don't think it was any worse than when I was stationed in San Diego. I think once the new kids had the initial "WOO-HOO! I CAN DRINK?!?!?" phase, (usually about a week to a month) they mellowed out and were ok with the idea. A DUI is still a DUI regardless of age, at least now there's no underage/contributing charge attached as well.

I'm not going to give anecdotal evidence because it was years ago and my memory's shitty, but I want to say that I THINK that there were less DUIs than my other duty station (San Diego).

It probably also helped that the local police had a very good working relationship with the SP (Shore Patrol, Navy Military Police) and for E-4s and below (think Specialist/Corporal for you ground types) had to be back on base/ship by midnight weekdays and 2am on weekends.

And Guam is fucking TINY.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Which is generally noticeable amongst 21 year olds in comparison to 18 year olds. By the time all my friends could legally drink they were pretty much indifferent about it by a week later.

At some point I noticed that you can pick out the underage kids by seeing who's drunkest.

ViolentChemistry on