As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sims 2 or The Movies?

BursarBursar Hee Noooo!PDX areaRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Some folks at work have been sending our own Bombay subtitles (Note: link seems to be down at the time of this writing) back and forth to each other regarding our office hijinks. I'm willing to up the ante a fair bit by fully modeling the office and writing out hi-larious situations of what goes on in my place of work.

I have both The Sims 2 (no expansions) and The Movies: Stunts and Effects. However, I haven't used either in a while, so I'm a tad unsure of the features of each, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in one of them only to realize that it can't do what I want it to.

So, I'd like to compile a list of pros and cons for each with your help. In the meantime, I'll be using the Starmaker to start cranking out representations of my coworkers. I'm sure they'll come in handy, even if I go with the other program.

Sims 2:
++*Can accurately and completely model the building
+Can move the camera everywhere
+Can include a multitude of people in one building
+Allows for a variety of clothing
+Good facial editing features, but only 3 body types
- Can't record avis easily?
- no way to make Sims "look busy" for unspecified times while other stuff is going on.
- Have to include bunks and clean up after Sims
-/+ gibberish language, no way to make people act as intended without major interference

Movies S&E:
++* Can command actors in what to do and say
+ Good facial editing features, and a fitness slider lets you make a variety of body types.
- Cannot accurately build the office.
- Can't have many people in a scene at once
+/- I don't remember if you can move the camera at will in S&E or not. I thought you could, but I'd have to check.
+ Can include locations other than the office, if necessary.
- I doubt all the actions that I'd want are available. I'm pretty sure there's no "brawl" scene in the bathroom set, for example.
- have to build trailers, costume buildings, and other filler buildings to make the movie.
++ Possible to write a scene and have it acted out instantly, then fill in actual voice and subtitles in the in-game cutting room.

What am I missing, folks?

GNU Terry Pratchett
PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
Bursar on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think that with the added expansions they gave you a camera dolley, otherwise you were stuck with certain angles. And you really don't need to build everything. Just edit the ini file and give yourself everything at start, set your starting year to the highest in sandbox mode, have everything built instantaniously, give yourself a hugh wad of cash and you're set.

(only have plain vanillia Movies so I can't help you much)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Was there ever a fix in The Movies so you actually fucking had people to employee?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg