As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What a twist! (M Night Shamylan)

1235»

• Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    aquabat wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    You should place a spoiler around the whole plot, fuckhead. You've given enough information away that people will start to piece things together quickly. Its common sense and its common decency for anyone who hasnt seen Oldboy.

i fucking knew it! so glad I didn't go back and read it after he defended himself. thanks.

Im beginning to think Im dead and you're the only one who can see my posts, Var. I swear you're the only person who replies to me these days *sniff*
    I'd pay more attention to your posts if you'd put them in the Chat thread. :P

I dont have the attention span to dedicate to Chat these days.

aquabat on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    You should place a spoiler around the whole plot, fuckhead. You've given enough information away that people will start to piece things together quickly. Its common sense and its common decency for anyone who hasnt seen Oldboy.

i fucking knew it! so glad I didn't go back and read it after he defended himself. thanks.

Im beginning to think Im dead and you're the only one who can see my posts, Var. I swear you're the only person who replies to me these days *sniff*
    I'd pay more attention to your posts if you'd put them in the Chat thread. :P

I dont have the attention span to dedicate to Chat these days.
    That's the beauty of [Chat]; you don't need an attention span. All you need to do is drop in, shoot the shit, and just peel out whenever you want.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ... it's almost like you guys are turning THIS into the chat thread!

/fake asshole modding.

we want you back akwa. we want you back hard.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Spoiler edited. Next time just spoil the whole thing, and don't try to give a spoiler-tease.

Sorry about any indiscretion. I'd just figured it was a pretty big movie, as far as the whole breakthrough Asian cinema goes.

Still I suppose no excuse, I didn't feel it warranted a fuckhead though.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Am I the only one who thought Lady in the Water was a great movie with a wonderful ending?

Besides M. Night playing such a large role in his own movie I thought the whole thing was done great and was a joy to watch.

Much better than that shit of an excuse for a movie Pan's Labyrinth, one of the biggest let downs I have seen in a really long time.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought Lady in the Water was a great movie with a wonderful ending?

Besides M. Night playing such a large role in his own movie I thought the whole thing was done great and was a joy to watch.

Much better than that shit of an excuse for a movie Pan's Labyrinth, one of the biggest let downs I have seen in a really long time.

You are not the only one that liked Lady In The Water. I did, too. Shylamalan's movies are not about the twists. They are about putting together a puzzle to show you at the end that everything has a purpose. He couldn't scream this theme any louder in his movies. It's in his dialogue, his sets, his plots, his characters, in every single part of his movies.

His movies are also about triumph over trauma, and that the only way to move past trauma is to face it, accept it, and no longer fear it. He also couldn't scream this any louder.

If all you want to see is a movie with a clever plot twist, don't waste your time with Shylamalan's films. But if you want to see movies that are deeply in touch with the human condition, his movies are good ones to watch.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JDoobsJDoobs Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am one of those rare M. Night supporters. I think his movies reach out to those people who feel a general empathy for human beings.

I think people have gone to every one of his movies following Sixth Sense expecting to be blown away by what they see. All I ever hear about his movies anymore is, "Well, that wasn't a very good twist." The Village, for example, wasn't about the twist. It was about the state of society as it is today and how it pushed that group of people to the breaking point. It was also about the cliche "True love conquers all." Lady in the Water wasn't about the kid reading cereal boxes. It was about how everyone is connected, and how everyone has a purpose. Signs was about a man regaining his faith after a traumatizing experience.

People should remember that he writes, producers, and directs all his movies. That's not a small task. Are his movies for everyone? Of course not. Is he less of a writer/director/producer because you may might not like his style? No. Shyamalan focuses on philosophy. Some people are out of touch with philosophy.

The movie critics are some of those people. I knew immediately when they stated that The Village was, "too far fetched to be believable" ... That's just plain stupid. This wasn't a documentary, it was a movie. Lady in the Water was, "A fairy tale gone terribly terribly wrong." The entire movie was based on a bed time story, of course it's going to be fantastic in nature.

The more open your minds are when you watch his movies, the more you'll probably enjoy them.

JDoobs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -- Rising From The Ashes --
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I heartily support the previous two posts.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed