Options

My TV converts all dvds to fullscreen.

SodaSoda Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
At first I thought it was my dvd player but no matter which one i use my tv still does it. I have already tried searching on google and couldnt find anything. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before?

Soda on

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, if it's a widescreen DVD it's not converting anything. And if you don't see distortion, my guess is that your tv is zooming in on the picture. Eliminating the black bars as well as the sides of the frame. Go into your tv menu and picture settings and see what the options are.

My tv has this and its an lcd hdtv.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I have searched through the entire menu. I see nothing close to a zoom function.

Soda on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What kind of TV is it? HD?

There's not an aspect ratio option? Like a 1:1, Normal, Zoom, or whatever else.

Also, this may be painfully obvious but I figured I'd ask, you aren't using 2 sided DVD discs and just putting in the fullscreen version? Just figured I'd get this out of the way.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Soda wrote: »
    I have searched through the entire menu. I see nothing close to a zoom function.

Read the manual?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Also, this may be painfully obvious but I figured I'd ask, you aren't using 2 sided DVD discs and just putting in the fullscreen version? Just figured I'd get this out of the way.

Ha no, thats not it. Im trying widescreen dvds. Its an HDTV.

I doubt the manual even knows of this problem.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Ha no, thats not it. Im trying widescreen dvds. Its an HDTV.

I doubt the manual even knows of this problem.

It might. Most have a "Solutions to Common Problems" section in the back.

Failing that, do you have a "format" button on your remote control? That's what controls the aspect ration on my set.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If its a widescreen tv, you should have some kind of picture size function on your tv remote to pick between Full (16:9),and Natural (4:3 if thats standard). If your tv is actually good, it will also have special morphing options to make a 4:3 image look good on a widescreen tv. Mine happen to be called TheatreWide, but it might be different with some tv's.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    If its a widescreen tv, you should have some kind of picture size function on your tv remote to pick between Full (16:9),and Natural (4:3 if thats standard). If your tv is actually good, it will also have special morphing options to make a 4:3 image look good on a widescreen tv. Mine happen to be called TheatreWide, but it might be different with some tv's.

My TV has these picture size functions. Changing that still keeps the movie in fullscreen.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How long have you had the set? Maybe it's defective?

Or try calling tech support.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    How long have you had the set? Maybe it's defective?

Or try calling tech support.

I think its gotta be at least 4 years old.

Ill try that tomorrow if it comes down to it.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This morning I called hitachi support. The man I spoke with told me that the only button that could fix that is the aspect button. I told him that did not fix it and he said it must be the dvd player or dvd. There is no way that is the problem because I have tried many dvds and a couple differnt players.

Soda on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Try a different TV. Seems to be the only thing you didni't switch out in your troubleshooting process.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    alright ill try a new tv and see what happens

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I took my xbox 360 to another tv and used the same dvd(Babel) and there are two nice black bars across the top and bottom.

I am going to try unpluging the TV in question and see if it resets to default or something.

Soda on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I took my xbox 360 to another tv and used the same dvd(Babel) and there are two nice black bars across the top and bottom.

I am going to try unpluging the TV in question and see if it resets to default or something.

When I watched Babel last night on my HDTV, it took up the whole screen as well...I'm pretty sure that's supposed to happen.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

When I watched Babel last night on my HDTV, it took up the whole screen as well...I'm pretty sure that's supposed to happen.

Im pretty sure its cutting off some of the picture. I dont think babel is supposed to do that. I know my TV was doing it for the Taxi Driver dvd too.

Soda on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems that your HDTV is a widescreen TV? Then, technically, isn't fullscreen the proper widescreen format? If you have a 16:9 television, then a widescreen DVD will take up the entire screen - No black bars.

I didn't want to post this at first because it seemed way too obvious, but I reviewed the thread and it seemed -maybe- you were unclear on 16:9 versus 4:3 instead of the misleading "widescreen" versus "full screen" on widescreen televisions.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No this is not the case. I can clear as day see names in the credits straight cut in half on the taxi driver dvd. theres no way that is correct.

It never worked like this before. It is a widescreen tv but the image doesnt fill the screen. There still needs to be black bars.

Soda on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    iiam29pb.gif

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chances are you're not the only one with this issue, so if you could post the exact make and model of your Hitachi television that would benefit us greatly in asserting your problem.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Chances are you're not the only one with this issue, so if you could post the exact make and model of your Hitachi television that would benefit us greatly in asserting your problem.

Model No. 43UWX10B

Soda on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Could it be a setting in your DVD player itself? I know when we got our nice new 16:9 TV I had to change settings on the DVD player to make movies look proper as it was previously hooked up to a 4:3 TV.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    is ti taking up the whole screen ro is it "pillarboxing" meaning there's bars on the sides?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make sure your 360 is set to output correctly for your tv. Go to the 360's display settings and make sure the HDTV setting is 720p, 1080i or whatever resolution your tv is. Set the screen format to Widescreen. And make sure the switch on the 360 component cable is set to HDTV.

On the tv, make sure the Aspect is set to Full, not Zoom or Normal (4:3)

Edit: Also, depending on the DVD's aspect ratio, it may (1.85:1 or 2.39:1) or may not (16:9) have letterboxing on a widescreen tv.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    is ti taking up the whole screen ro is it "pillarboxing" meaning there's bars on the sides?

I can change it to bars on the side but the picture is still ruined. I need bars along the top and bottom that the dvd is supposed to supply.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    When I play the taxi driver special features, the clips from the movie they use have the black bars.

Soda on
  • Options
    Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know you've said that there isn't a setting on your television that will fix it, but seriously, check the manual on your DVD player as well. From experience, I know that when I got my HDTV, all the aspects were botched because there was a setting in the DVD player menu specifically meant for 16:9 televisions.

Wyvern998 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That makes sense since the special feautre probably aren't 16:9.

Many HDTVs have a native 16:9 feature that takes the widescreen image and chops off the top and bottom black bars and uses the full DVD image. It's not distorting it or messing with the image otherwise. HDTVs work on a different aspect ratio. Thats when with regualr TV and stuff you'll often get the boxs on the sides since those images are in the aspect ratio for normal TVs.

Look at the DVD packaging. in the fine print it should say "enhanced for 16:9 or Widescreen Tvs" or something to that effect. if it does then the DVD should display without the black bars.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wyvern998 wrote: »
    I know you've said that there isn't a setting on your television that will fix it, but seriously, check the manual on your DVD player as well. From experience, I know that when I got my HDTV, all the aspects were botched because there was a setting in the DVD player menu specifically meant for 16:9 televisions.

I went through the entire menu of the dvd player. I saw a way to change it to 16:9 or 4:3. I clicked 16:9. Did not fix the problem.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    http://merchant.satisfusion.com/library/manuals/owners/61SWX10B.pdf

Here's the manual for his television if anyone wanted to peruse it.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That makes sense since the special feautre probably aren't 16:9.

Many HDTVs have a native 16:9 feature that takes the widescreen image and chops off the top and bottom black bars and uses the full DVD image. It's not distorting it or messing with the image otherwise. HDTVs work on a different aspect ratio. Thats when with regualr TV and stuff you'll often get the boxs on the sides since those images are in the aspect ratio for normal TVs.

Look at the DVD packaging. in the fine print it should say "enhanced for 16:9 or Widescreen Tvs" or something to that effect. if it does then the DVD should display without the black bars.

I always had black bars before on this tv? and its clearly cutting off the credits to taxi driver. the credits to that are right on the sides of the fram so the names are like half missing. theres no way thats how the movie was made

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    in both modes? It does sound like you may be in a zoom mode of some kind.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make sure if using the 360 to flip the switch on the cable to the TV to hdtv mode...

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure why you think Babel shouldn't fill the screen. I'm not doubting there may be additional cropping, but that television will fill the entire screen in "full" mode (not fill, which on your TV actually does cut off the bottom and the top) since Babel is a 1.85:1 aspect ratio movie.

Something like Kill Bill will have black bars on the top and bottom. If you can find a movie with a ratio like that (2.35:1), you could try it and see if the black bars appear.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just tried something out. When I look at the taxi driver credits in the tvs "normal" mode(this is the mode where the tv creates its own gray bars along the sides of the tv), I can read the credits fine. Then when I keep it paused on the same image and switch it to "full" mode (this is the mode where the image goes across the whole screen without trying to "smooth" it or anything) the credits get cut on the side.

One other thing I noticed when in "normal" mode was the gray bar on the right side of the tv had a Suspicious blue line near the movie.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just tried something out. When I look at the taxi driver credits in the tvs "normal" mode(this is the mode where the tv creates its own gray bars along the sides of the tv), I can read the credits fine. Then when I keep it paused on the same image and switch it to "full" mode (this is the mode where the image goes across the whole screen without trying to "smooth" it or anything) the credits get cut on the side.

I actually have a Hitachi television like yours, and I'm sorry to tell you this but that cropping is probably something inherently wrong in the actual design of the television. There's the plastic "frame" that could cut off some of the image, but even if that's not the case I'm definitely aware of the cropping you speak of, especially on the left.

Is the cropping more apparent on the left than the right?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I actually have a Hitachi television like yours, and I'm sorry to tell you this but that cropping is probably something inherently wrong in the actual design of the television. There's the plastic "frame" that could cut off some of the image, but even if that's not the case I'm definitely aware of the cropping you speak of, especially on the left.

It seems to me both sides get a little cut off.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It seems to me both sides get a little cut off.
    I'd say that's the same as mine on well, but I've noticed on Wii games at least that the left side is cropped more (and can be viewed in its entirety in the "normal" ratio mode).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well that solves it then. I will have to convince my dad to sell this tv and get a new one.

Thank you everyone, you have all been most helpful.

Soda on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well that solves it then. I will have to convince my dad to sell this tv and get a new one.

Thank you everyone, you have all been most helpful.
    On my television at least, I've never thought of the cropping as that severe.

Are you sure you don't want to provide some photo examples of the cropping before you try to get a new television? It might be difficult to find a television that's around the same price and offers a full picture.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png