Options

Justice Dept. Releases Bush Administration Memos on Torture, Rendition, & Wiretapping

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    As to the expression of the will of The People. Through our franchise as citizens to vote, also our right to redress our grievances to the government through the first amendment. Basically by throwing the bums out at election time, and putting pressure on elected represenatives through correspondence, discourse and if that fails public protest and finally civil disobedience.

You want the army to be loyal to The Will of the People as expressed by "putting pressure on elected represenatives through correspondence, discourse and if that fails public protest and finally civil disobedience?"

I want our representatives to actually represent us. The system is supposed to work for us, not the other way around. The people aren't Federal property and the Military isn't supposed to be a club that the Executive office can use where ever, when ever, how every they please.

Drake on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to save that citation.

It seems to me that people throw up the U.N. convention because it is the most conveniently found and cited. It is, however, a radioactively bad argument if you are trying to convince anyone of a conservativ-ish bent since it touches the "sovereignty/self-defense" circuit and their willingness to entertain propositions immediately shuts down.

Speaker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It seems to me that people throw up the U.N. convention because it is the most conveniently found and cited. It is, however, a radioactively bad argument if you are trying to convince anyone of a conservativ-ish bent since it touches the "sovereignty/self-defense" circuit and their willingness to entertain propositions immediately shuts down.

Except that part of all treaty obligations like that one is the creation of domestic laws that basically mirrors it. In order to be a signatory we have to outlaw torture. So...yeah. Plus, you know, the 5th, 8th, and 14th amendments come into play.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As to the expression of the will of The People. Through our franchise as citizens to vote, also our right to redress our grievances to the government through the first amendment. Basically by throwing the bums out at election time, and putting pressure on elected represenatives through correspondence, discourse and if that fails public protest and finally civil disobedience.

You want the army to be loyal to The Will of the People as expressed by "putting pressure on elected represenatives through correspondence, discourse and if that fails public protest and finally civil disobedience?"

I want our representatives to actually represent us.

So . . . you want them to take public opinion polls and vote accordingly? Or, in the president's case, command accordingly?

Speaker on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Except that part of all treaty obligations like that one is the creation of domestic laws that basically mirrors it. In order to be a signatory we have to outlaw torture. So...yeah. Plus, you know, the 5th, 8th, and 14th amendments come into play.

A lot of conservatives have this strange idea that the Constitution doesn't apply to non-US citizens. I have no idea where the fuck it came from (certainly not the actual text), but its there.

EDIT: Of course that doesn't apply to this case because, you know, US Citizens being tortured.

It really does break my brain. How does the supposed "law and order" party end up being OK with detaining a US citizen without a warrant, without charge, for YEARS, while torturing him?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

A lot of conservatives have this strange idea that the Constitution doesn't apply.

Fixed.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

What I'm saying is that while it is a valid argument, it is not the best arrow in the quiver.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

What I'm saying is that while it is a valid argument, it is not the best arrow in the quiver.

Perhaps, but there are enough along that bend to blot out the sky.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

So . . . you want them to take public opinion polls and vote accordingly? Or, in the president's case, command accordingly?

I would like it if more people took their citizen-ship seriously, and accept the responsibilities that come with it. We have a participatory form of government. There are more ways to participate than going to the voting booth as well. So no, I don't want the government to run polls, I want Americans to do what we used to value highly as a nation, and get involved. We used to be a nation of activists, for the most part. With the communication potential that the information age has brought us, I don't see why we shouldn't exercise our rights to bring the government to task when they step outside the very clear boundaries laid out in our founding documents.

Instead, for the most part, we allow Olbermann and Hannity to do our speaking for us (and at us), and we sit on the couch like bobble heads.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    When exactly was this mythical time you're referring to?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There are periods where people have organized and changed our society, many times for the better. The labor movement is one example that immediately comes to mind.

edit: And more recently there was the Vietnam war era, where public protest and civil disobedience changed much in our society rapidly.

edit two: Matter of fact we've had leaders rise out of these movements. John Kerry for example.

Drake on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

I'm not really certain I want to convince people of a conservative bent. I want to prosecute people who break laws designed to protect citizenry from oppressive governments.

I can deal with yet another straw on the "Obama secretly selling us to France" pile.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There are periods where people have organized and changed our society, many times for the better. The labor movement is one example that immediately comes to mind.

Those people did not constitute a majority of the populace, and we are not left wanting for more activists. DC is full of them, arguing their case.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

Maybe, but we are depending on a popular government to bend the bow.

So I'd say that if our aim is closing a historical and legal precedent, torture is the top priority and domestic law is the way to get it done.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    edit: And more recently there was the Vietnam war era, where public protest and civil disobedience changed much in our society rapidly.

No it didn't.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I would like it if more people took their citizen-ship seriously, and accept the responsibilities that come with it. We have a participatory form of government. There are more ways to participate than going to the voting booth as well. So no, I don't want the government to run polls, I want Americans to do what we used to value highly as a nation, and get involved. We used to be a nation of activists, for the most part. With the communication potential that the information age has brought us, I don't see why we shouldn't exercise our rights to bring the government to task when they step outside the very clear boundaries laid out in our founding documents.

Instead, for the most part, we allow Olbermann and Hannity to do our speaking for us (and at us), and we sit on the couch like bobble heads.

I fail to see how the military can be loyal to the will of the people as expressed by demostrations and counter demonstrations.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

So I'd say that if our aim is closing a historical and legal precedent, torture is the top priority and domestic law is the way to get it done.

We really only have the Bush dead-enders against us, and that was before the recent revelations. I'm done trying to convince the Bush dead-enders of anything.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I fail to see how the military can be loyal to the will of the people as expressed by demostrations and counter demonstrations.

The military can be loyal to the will of the people by following a Chain of Command that ends with elected representatives who answer to the people. If the representatives stop listening to us, I suggest that is the fault of the citizens for not exercising our rights. We have all the tools necessary to ensure that our representatives actually, you know, represent us. If we fail to use them, then the blame lays on our shoulders.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not really certain I want to convince people of a conservative bent.

I guess it depends on how you want them to see the prosecution and imprisonment of the leaders they supported.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I guess it depends on how you want them to see the prosecution and imprisonment of the leaders they supported.

Convicted in a court of law?

EDIT: There is of course, one serious problem with the whole thing which is how the hell do you give these people a fair trial with an impartial jury?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

EDIT: There is of course, one serious problem with the whole thing which is how the hell do you give these people a fair trial with an impartial jury?
    The type of people we're talking about won't see it as a court of law, they'll see it as a persecution.

Not that that means we shouldn't try to prosecute people who broke the law, but there's a sizable chunk of the populace that's going to take it that way.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And those people are so dumb there's no way you'll ever convince them regardless of how well armed with facts you are.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Truck in some Amish who haven't been paying attention?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure that the Amish are cool with serving on juries.

EDIT: And as far as what EB said, no, you're never going to convince those people. But the type of people we're discussing liked to wear their "persecuted outrage" hat when they controlled the presidency and both houses of congress. It's built-in, reflexive.

Actually prosecuting people and putting them in jail will be seen as a direct attack on them and their ideology.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We really only have the Bush dead-enders against us, and that was before the recent revelations. I'm done trying to convince the Bush dead-enders of anything.

The public isn't well informed and its opinion is consequently volatile.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics2/58_say_release_of_cia_memos_endangers_national_security

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Are you being glib or do you need me to explain?

Speaker on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Who cares? While I understand the political necessity to make an argument for why these people must be tried, the facts point to a major breach of the law. Thus, fuck those who need this explained as their either operating from ignorance or dishonesty.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And Rasmussen biases their issue polls to support Fox's talking points. I thought everyone knew that?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

The type of people we're talking about won't see it as a court of law, they'll see it as a persecution.

Not that that means we shouldn't try to prosecute people who broke the law, but there's a sizable chunk of the populace that's going to take it that way.

A much smaller chunk, I'd say, if you prosecute under the domestic law.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You think it matters at all, Speaker? They're going to be a pissed off rump minority regardless of where you prosecute these assholes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The unfortunate part is, stupid people who still support torture vote. Thus, they must at the very least be stepped around lightly. Obama is in an unenviable position on this.
    You think it matters at all, Speaker? They're going to be a pissed off rump minority regardless of where you prosecute these assholes.

There are degrees of obstruction. We haven't seen anything close to the worst of them yet.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm really not sure if that's the case. They've already went back into the Clintonian-period schema where they viewed the federal government as their enemy. They'll scream "radical leftist" till their hoarse no matter who's doing the prosecuting. The only way to avoid it would be for this to be done by other Republicans and God knows that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    The unfortunate part is, stupid people who still support torture vote. Thus, they must at the very least be stepped around lightly. Obama is in an unenviable position on this.

Specifically, they would have voted for Bush again. They're a meaningless, mostly southern, rump.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm aware of that.

Yes, but if our motives are fletched properly... I got nothin.

TL DR on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The public isn't well informed and its opinion is consequently volatile.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics2/58_say_release_of_cia_memos_endangers_national_security

It's kind of hard to take that seriously when the ad is "DID YOU KNOW THAT LIBERALS LAUGH WHEN YOU'RE POOR? THEY EVEN KILLED YOUR DOG."

Cervetus on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just tell them that their God-figure Reagan was the one who made sure that the international treaty was ratified. That will have the poor idiots confused and uncertain for years...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Truck in some Amish who haven't been paying attention?

So there are these things called warrentless wiretaps.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

Who cares? While I understand the political necessity to make an argument for why these people must be tried, the facts point to a major breach of the law. Thus, fuck those who need this explained as their either operating from ignorance or dishonesty.

But we have a choice of which law to argue that they broke.

Since prosecution is in doubt and relies on a popular government and is politically divisive, I'd say that if you want to argue for prosecution, you should argue for it under th law that is the most clear, popularly legitimate and broadly accepted.

Speaker on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm really not sure if that's the case. They've already went back into the Clintonian-period schema where they viewed the federal government as their enemy. They'll scream "radical leftist" till their hoarse no matter who's doing the prosecuting. The only way to avoid it would be for this to be done by other Republicans and God knows that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Incorrect, because as soon as it's done by Republicans they will instantly turn into RINOs.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, in the missing the point area: I don't give a damn about political considerations.

They broke major laws both domestically and internationally and they need to go to jail.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.