As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While most of the live action movies are pretty forgettable, stuff like "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and "Mary Poppins" are pretty damn good.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think my favorite Disney song from any of their more recent movies is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

I liked actual musical numbers where the characters would sing and dance. It was a lot more work for them but it was more enjoyable than listening to Phil Collins while a montage plays.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One would be remiss, talking of Disney classics, to leave out the movie that let Disney know it had rested on its laurels too long, treated its animators like so many pieces of shit, and been cranking out cheap crap for the masses knowing it had no competition.

The Secret of NIMH

In 1982 Don Bluth, and 10 other recently ex-Disney animators, singlehandedly put Disney on notice: You're not the only game in town, and your movies have turned to shit. Even better, they did it using the rights to a story that Disney had turned down, they did it on a nearly non-existent budget, and completed a hand-drawn feature-length film in less than 4 years.

For pretty much any Disney movie after then, you have Bluth to thank for the quality.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Last Unicorn still looks impressive today. Not bad for a 25+ year old film.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The Last Unicorn still looks impressive today. Not bad for a 25+ year old film.

Years ago there was some hard chat about making a live version of the film but it fell through :(

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    One would be remiss, talking of Disney classics, to leave out the movie that let Disney know it had rested on its laurels too long, treated its animators like so many pieces of shit, and been cranking out cheap crap for the masses knowing it had no competition.

The Secret of NIMH

In 1982 Don Bluth, and 10 other recently ex-Disney animators, singlehandedly put Disney on notice: You're not the only game in town, and your movies have turned to shit. Even better, they did it using the rights to a story that Disney had turned down, they did it on a nearly non-existent budget, and completed a hand-drawn feature-length film in less than 4 years.

For pretty much any Disney movie after then, you have Bluth to thank for the quality.

Bluth deserves a ton of credit for taking chances and pushing boundaries like Disney had never done before. His films usually take on a darker tone in places, but I've found them to have a bigger emotional impact than any Disney film. NIMH, Land Before Time, American Tale, All Dogs go to Heaven, Rockadoodle. All excellent movies.

It's a shame Titan AE did so poorly and Fox animation studio closed. It was little uneven, especially with 2D/3D blending being relatively new at the time but was still a good sci-fi movie that probably could have been marketed better.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In 1982 Don Bluth, and 10 other recently ex-Disney animators, singlehandedly put Disney on notice: You're not the only game in town, and your movies have turned to shit.

Late 70's had actually been pretty good for Disney, so far as output goes (Robin Hood, Winnie Pooh, Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, and Black Cauldron) . IMO, only stinker from that era would be The Rescuers. But yeah, working as animator at Disney was never that enjoyable, especially as you couldn't express yourself.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is working for disney really as uptight/repressive as we've been led to believe?

I know people who work at the parks and stuff have to be very clean-cut and "wholesome", at least in the way they look, but from what I hear that's basically a facade over a non-stop orgy that takes place every time the shifts change.

I have no idea about the animation studios, though.

Duffel on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scar is the best disney villian ever.

ever.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Is working for disney really as uptight/repressive as we've been led to believe.

I don't really think that the conditions are more repressive at Disney than anywhere else, but most artists (and other creative types, for that matter) tend to have big egos and burning desire to express themselves creatively. I'm not surprised that many get frustrated working on film on which they had no creative attachment whatsoever.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Is working for disney really as uptight/repressive as we've been led to believe.

I don't really think that the conditions are more repressive at Disney than anywhere else, but most artists (and other creative types, for that matter) tend to have big egos and burning desire to express themselves creatively. I'm not surprised that many get frustrated working on film on which they had no creative attachment whatsoever.

I heard that they treat the talent like shit because there's no shortage of people willing to take the job. I don't think it's very fun.

MrMister on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »

[vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNfsLwQBhM[/vidurl]

Bluth deserves a ton of credit for taking chances and pushing boundaries like Disney had never done before. His films usually take on a darker tone in places, but I've found them to have a bigger emotional impact than any Disney film. NIMH, Land Before Time, American Tale, All Dogs go to Heaven, Rockadoodle. All excellent movies.

It's a shame Titan AE did so poorly and Fox animation studio closed. It was little uneven, especially with 2D/3D blending being relatively new at the time but was still a good sci-fi movie that probably could have been marketed better.

Only thing about NIMH is that they disney-fied the ending and changed the main character's name for no particular reason.

Which is a shame because the changed ending made it near impossible to make movies off the next two books.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inside the parks? Man, Disney can get away with anything. (I only know about Orlando).
    Yes, there are thousands of people willing to do it for the perks and to "work for Disney". Doesn't mean Disney is a horrible place to work but they have their guidelines and boy do they stick to them. Your surpervisor knows what you are supposed to do, how, and when, and they make sure it gets done. If they don't know, they find someone who does. Compared to Universal Studios, those performers have more freedom, the supervisors care if a job is being done, and you get a lot more freedom in everything. But the trade off is that you get a lot of shitty supervisors at Universal.
    There are some great Disney employees. I've a friend whose worked for them for years and she loves them. She has crazy stories, but mostly because Disney if fuck-normous and things just happen. Backstage I've heard the cast is weird, but I don't think Disney minds so much as long as they are perfect on set.
    You can ask any Disney employee in the parks (not like, food people or anything) any Disney question. If they don't know if, they call a room filled with people who have the information in front of them. A friend of mine has been asked how many branches are on the Swiss Robinson tree and what size jacket Walt wore.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

[vidurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNfsLwQBhM[/vidurl]

Only thing about NIMH is that they disney-fied the ending and changed the main character's name for no particular reason.

Which is a shame because the changed ending made it near impossible to make movies off the next two books.

I know what you mean, compared to the book's ending the movie's didn't make a lot of sense but due to the incredibly tight budget and schedule they probably had to opt for some kind of deus ex machina.

As for the name change, it was actually because Wham-O, who own the trademark for Frisbee declined to let them use it in the movie so at the last minute they had to change it to Brisby. Not all the voice actors were still available so they had to edit in a B sound over the F in some lines.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think my favorite Disney song from any of their more recent movies is this one.

I liked actual musical numbers where the characters would sing and dance. It was a lot more work for them but it was more enjoyable than listening to Phil Collins while a montage plays.

To the person who said they get a chill everytime Mulan throws the arrow down, I'm the same way. I think it has to do with Mulan being my favorite female Disney character.

Also, if I was an actor or VA, I think playing a Disney villian could be one of the funnest things you could ever do. Maybe its just me, but it just seems to me that Jeremy Irons seems to relish in playing Scar.

I remember watching a cartoon short when I was younger that was about these little animals asking an owl (I think) around christmas time why the christmas song said" good will on earth and peace to men," and the owl then giving an account of World War I and how violent humans were. It had scenes of trench warfare and fighting, and it was really good. Was that a disney short, and if so, what was it called? If not, anyone know what it was?

never die on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember watching a cartoon short when I was younger that was about these little animals asking an owl (I think) around christmas time why the christmas song said" good will on earth and peace to men," and the owl then giving an account of World War I and how violent humans were. It had scenes of trench warfare and fighting, and it was really good. Was that a disney short, and if so, what was it called? If not, anyone know what it was?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_on_Earth_(1939_film)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OYvHPpGDY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzqSwB68Tc

Couscous on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thank you! Everyone who I've ever mentioned it to has never scene it.

Though the link doesn't go anywhere.

Edit: hah I've sung that song hundreds of time but still misquoted it.

edit again: seen dangit, seen!

never die on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    never die wrote: »

Also, if I was an actor or VA, I think playing a Disney villian could be one of the funnest things you could ever do. Maybe its just me, but it just seems to me that Jeremy Irons seems to relish in playing Scar.
    James Woods enjoyed playing Hades so much he has offered to voice him for anytime they need it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, what irony that such a movie was produced in 1939.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, what irony that such a movie was produced in 1939.
    That's not irony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_2#War_breaks_out_in_Europe
    "[...]Germany and Italy forced Czechoslovakia to cede additional territory to Hungary and Poland. In March 1939 Germany invaded the rump of Czechoslovakia [...]"

Aldo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In either the Goofy Movie or the TV series Goof Troop, I always wondered how Goofy got his own kid. Donald and Scrooge had their nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Mickey had some disappearing nephews, too. But Goofy had a son, not nephew, named Max and that makes me wonder what kind of woman could Goofy get lucky with?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    never die wrote: »

To the person who said they get a chill everytime Mulan throws the arrow down, I'm the same way. I think it has to do with Mulan being my favorite female Disney character.

For me, it's that moment right before when she pulls upwards and her face is lit by the sunrise. The arrow bit is epic, but that moment right before is what really sells me on the scene for some reason.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame has arguably the best intro of any Disney movie. Much darker and gothic than even Snow White and I'm impressed by the imagery and the heavy booming choir in the background chanting 'Kyrie Eleison' and 'Dies Irae'. Too bad the non-musical parts of the movie pale so much in comparison that they're really bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnh-sxaBwk&feature=related

I can't wait for the (always rumored) English Broadway version. The German musical was simply amazing since it's even more gothic, the original ending is more or less intact, and the gargoyles are just figments of Quasimodo's imagination.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I loved the Goof Troop.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mulan was a decent flick. I liked Eddy Murphy in it, and it had a villain who was one-dimensional, but still cool looking.

But it was definitely on Disney's decline and you can see it when you watch the movie.

What really infuriates me is how Disney has made nothing but bad live-action and bad CG movies lately, and most of those CG movies have starred talking animals. Not that I have anything against talking animals, but we've been inundated with talking animal CG movies and I'm sick of it.

None of this implies to Disney stuff made by Pixar, though, because Pixar is amazing.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I never saw hunchback and that is pretty crazy. Got some ethnic prejudice, enslavement, murder, attempted infanticide, and eugenics all rolled into a five minute clip with the Mass for the dead playing the background.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I never saw hunchback and that is pretty crazy. Got some ethnic prejudice, enslavement, murder, attempted infanticide, and eugenics all rolled into a five minute clip with the Mass for the dead playing the background.

It then goes to your regular family friendly fare before going back to dark and repeating the cycle throughout the film. It is like Disney couldn't find the balls to not make a child oriented movie so half-assed it. For example, making Frollo evil from the start rather than portraying him as an asshole who becomes insane later on.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

It then goes to your regular family friendly fare before going back to dark and repeating the cycle throughout the film. It is like Disney couldn't find the balls to not make a child oriented movie so half-assed it. For example, making Frollo evil from the start rather than portraying him as an asshole who becomes insane later on.

Since seeing this clip from Fantasia I've always been interested in the type of stuff Disney could do if they decided to do more adult-oriented animation. Actually I'm surprised this clip hasn't been posted in here already.

(Might be NSFW, by the way, I think there's a boob or two in this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Ca_edg6RE

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is Pete a cat or a wolf? In a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (I have a son, I swear) episode he is refered to as Pete the Cat, but everything else I've seen clearly says he is a/the wolf. Disney is usually pretty up on their continuity.

Has anyone watched Disney's WW2 propaganda stuff? Education for Death is neat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1LHeim_hA
    but what really blows me away was their material that used Disney IP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PZVrWvJM0
    because they are fucking hysterical

Improvolone on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Over here, they have a deal going. A buy one get one free, on all Disney movies. There's only one week left on it. Was tempted to grab Mulan and something else.

Curious why Ratatouille and Wall-E aren't in the classics list on the OP. is it because they're Pixar movies, and only Distributed by Disney?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The best 'adult' kid's movie I've ever seen is The Prince of Egypt. I'm almost surprised it managed to get a PG.

I love the scene in Mulan when the 'elite' Huns come out of the snow. Also, the part with the survivors.
    -How many men does it take to send a message?

-One.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The best 'adult' kid's movie I've ever seen is The Prince of Egypt. I'm almost surprised it managed to get a PG.

A huge whale in the Red Sea. :lol:

Couscous on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While Pixar is owned by Disney now, I wouldn't put any of their movies on a list with Disney ones. They're too independent imo.
    Godfather wrote: »
    The guy lost two entire studios and his own character creations before even coming up with Mickey Mouse. He shelled out an obscene amount of money for his animations because his big risk projects gave him that power.

Mickey wasn't all that different from Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
    Is working for disney really as uptight/repressive as we've been led to believe?
    One of the animation teachers at my school worked at Disney from Mermaid to Tarzan as an animator, and from of the stories I've heard, I'd say so.

Vesty on
  • Options
    MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not enough Beauty & The Beast love! I used to watch that movie every night and it's still one of my all time favorites. Also, anyone who hasn't seen Bedknobs and Broomsticks is missing out big time. Angela Landsbury uses magic to defeat nazis!
    Cantido wrote: »
    My sister once played Belle in the play professionally. :D

This is my dream job.

Manda on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aladdin was on ABC Family two nights ago, and I had to miss it because of my internship.

I am a saaaaad panda. :(

BigBear on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    holy crap at those WWII propaganda films. I knew about them but I had never found them, and I didn't really try because I assumed Disney wasn't going to let something like that out very easily, good to see them on youtube finally.

mantidor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Vesty wrote: »
    While Pixar is owned by Disney now, I wouldn't put any of their movies on a list with Disney ones. They're too independent imo.
    Godfather wrote: »
    The guy lost two entire studios and his own character creations before even coming up with Mickey Mouse. He shelled out an obscene amount of money for his animations because his big risk projects gave him that power.

Mickey wasn't all that different from Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Kind of on this topic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ub_Iwerks is the most famous animator at Disney you might never have heard of.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Der Furher's Face is my favorite Disney thing ever, aside from the Little Mermaid.

Did anyone post The Little Match girl yet? It is good times (through depressing means).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSzQBaWq0Q

I was also depressed to learn that it was supposed to be a short included on the now shelved Fantasia 2006.

Booo.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, you assholes need to stop posting that, because it is fucking depressing.

Fencingsax on