As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read that he was a dawg, as opposed to Pluto, who's just a dog.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wiki disagrees with me, indeed. I read that dingo thing in Donald Duck magazine, though.

Aldo on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read that he was a dawg, as opposed to Pluto, who's just a dog.

Bollocks. Pluto is obviously Goofy's mentally disabled son.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bloods End on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    area wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »

The end of this as she throws down the arrow sends a shiver down my spine every time I see it. It's just so epic, somehow.

I love this song, and yet find it strangely hilarious that Donny Osmond performed it.

Also, love his expression at 3:20. He's almost like "ooh that was kinda hot"

As far as Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty, she terrified me. I think it had a lot to do with her voice being the same voice as Lady Tremaine/Evil Stepmother in Cinderella (Eleanor Audley). She was scary too. I think as a result I never really liked Sleeping Beauty. Although I loved Flora, Fauna, and Merriwether.

My top three are Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King. Although I love Mary Poppins, too, so that sometimes sneaks in the top three in exchange for Aladdin.

edit: And now that I've read through the thread, The Great Mouse Detective is an extremely awesome but under recognized film. Amazing.

1:27 is a bit scandalous (I always thought she was saying "I'll take of all my clothes" when I was little) (apparently it's "blues")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqk7c4JMtHM

edit: Even Stevens! Helllll yes.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Donald Duck reminds us all that paying taxes really is patriotic. The comments are horrifying unfortunately. EDIT - Not this particlular link

The Spirit of '43

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guys, remember that time Aladdin and Hercules teamed up and beat Hades and Jafar?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    edit: And now that I've read through the thread, The Great Mouse Detective is an extremely awesome but under recognized film. Amazing.

1:27 is a bit scandalous (I always thought she was saying "I'll take of all my clothes" when I was little) (apparently it's "blues")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqk7c4JMtHM

edit: Even Stevens! Helllll yes.

You might have noticed that she is only wearing blue clothes so, yeah:P.

I remember being confused and slightly embarrased when i watched that scene with my parents when i was 10 years old. Im not sure if my mind was really able to process just what kind of show the female mouse was doing.

Regarding goofy and his son, i think i read somewhere that max mother is goofys wife in the goofy shorts made in the 50s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8u94MitRc&feature=related

No ones posted Runaway brain yet? I remember watching it so much that the tape got worn out.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Guys, remember that time Aladdin and Hercules teamed up and beat Hades and Jafar?
    That was a fever dream. Get out of my head.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I have to say, when I was young I was horrified by that "Runaway Brain" short. Like, seriously, mortified.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So what's Disney's relationship with the Muppets? A large chunk of Jim Henson studios was sold to Disney but they haven't done anything with the Muppets in a long time. A revival of the Muppet Show and a movie called Mirror Mask and the regular Sesame Street stuff, I guess, in the last ten years.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So what's Disney's relationship with the Muppets? A large chunk of Jim Henson studios was sold to Disney but they haven't done anything with the Muppets in a long time. A revival of the Muppet Show and a movie called Mirror Mask and the regular Sesame Street stuff, I guess, in the last ten years.
    They're working on a new live Muppets movie currently.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    They're working on a new live Muppets movie currently.

They should be working on new Farscape instead. :x

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think Jim Henson's daughter is taking control back. This is all I think btw, I think she has reopened a creature shop in Orlando and I remember seeing advertisements for a show from them a few months ago before I moved.
    Muppets were/are being phased out at Disney if I remember correctly.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think Jim Henson's daughter is taking control back. This is all I think btw, I think she has reopened a creature shop in Orlando and I remember seeing advertisements for a show from them a few months ago before I moved.
    Muppets were/are being phased out at Disney if I remember correctly.
    Nah, Disney still owns all the non-Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock Muppet licenses, along with the trademark on the name Muppet. And there was a Muppet Christmas show last December. After Muppets in Space, I think Disney just decided to give them a rest for a while.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, Muppets 3d is still awesome.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And there's that 3D muppet show at MGM in Disney World.

No way in hell that's coming down.

EDIT: Goddammit.

Double EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKppN6Uc44&feature=related

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    And there's that 3D muppet show at MGM in Disney World.

No way in hell that's coming down.

EDIT: Goddammit.

Double EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epKppN6Uc44&feature=related

...It's not new, it's been my favorite thing at MGM for years.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They have the same show at California Adventure, too. It's awesome.

The Muppets are underutilized because Disney doesn't know how to market them. They believe that the Muppets' heyday is over, and it's difficult to sell them to today's kids. Muppet Wizard of Oz, for example. Amyone see that?

They just need someone in charge of that franchise who gets it. Kermit can be as popular as Mickey, or Winnie the Pooh.

Tach on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always liked Kermit way more than Mickey as a kid. Mickey's voice just seemed all wrong to me.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's called Disney Hollywood now, not MGM.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tach wrote: »

The Muppets are underutilized because Disney doesn't know how to market them. They believe that the Muppets' heyday is over, and it's difficult to sell them to today's kids. Muppet Wizard of Oz, for example. Amyone see that?

It had Quintin Tarintino.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

It had Quintin Tarintino.

"How about... she kicks her in the face!"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's called Disney Hollywood now, not MGM.

Boo

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    dac4703d.jpg

Who is responsible for The Princess and The Frog's style? It really reminds me about 90's glory days. Prince looks like total douche, tho'.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    dac4703d.jpg

Who is responsible for The Princess and The Frog's style? It really reminds me about 90's glory days. Prince looks like total douche, tho'.

It's possible that the douchey-ness is intentional. He reminds me of Gaston.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, they changed the name to something like that. It'll always be MGM to me.

The directors are the early 90's directors (Little Mermaid etc) So yeah.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah i'm not liking the prince there. It looks like they're trying to hard or something.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He has articulated eyebrows apparently. The thing makes an s-curve.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe the Prince is supposed to be douchy.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A black princess? Is that... a first? The only non-white princess type characters I can remember were from movies in "far off lands".

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Plus, his arm is as thick as her waist.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A black princess? Is that... a first? The only non-white princess type characters I can remember were from movies in "far off lands".
    First black princess, there is lots of hullaballo. (Mulan was Chinese, Jasmine was from "Arabia" Pocahontas was Powhatan)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah. It is the first one, and media had a field day about it. Now some people are already complaining that Disney is racist because prince is white-ish (although he is meant to be creole or mediterranean).

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Would Jasmin be considered white?

And are Pocahontas and Mulan technically Disney princesses, in the loosest definition of the word?

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    His belt buckle is a flower.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They should just re-release Song of the South and tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They just need someone in charge of that franchise who gets it. Kermit can be as popular as Mickey, or Winnie the Pooh.

This is the problem. There is a magic to the Muppets, and Disney (aside from Muppets 3D) doesn't seem to get it. Just look at the non-Disney Muppet shows, including the titular The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, etc. Then take a look at Muppet's in Space. Yeah, there is a big difference between the quality of the two groups.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Would Jasmin be considered white?

And are Pocahontas and Mulan technically Disney princesses, in the loosest definition of the word?
    Jasmine would not be, no. Yes, they are Official Disney Princesses.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

This is the problem. There is a magic to the Muppets, and Disney (aside from Muppets 3D) doesn't seem to get it. Just look at the non-Disney Muppet shows, including the titular The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, etc. Then take a look at Muppet's in Space. Yeah, there is a big difference between the quality of the two groups.
    Disney has never been good at making kid-friendly, adult-targeted movies. It's why Pixar is such a boon for them, Pixar gets it.

Or I should say, in the last 25 years or so they haven't been. It's either one or the other for them.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png