Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    A black princess? Is that... a first? The only non-white princess type characters I can remember were from movies in "far off lands".

Yeah. It is the first one, and media had a field day about it. Now some people are already complaining that Disney is racist because prince is white-ish (although he is meant to be creole or mediterranean).

Newsflash, you can never please everybody.
    Disney has never been good at making kid-friendly, adult-targeted movies. It's why Pixar is such a boon for them, Pixar gets it.

Perfect example, and they would be a studio I would trust to bring back the Muppet Magic.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Would Jasmin be considered white?

And are Pocahontas and Mulan technically Disney princesses, in the loosest definition of the word?

Disney Princess usually refers to the leading female protagonists in some sort of royal or power position. I would call them princesses, yes. Tinkerbell however is not a princess character. Tinkerbell is also usually played by a man at Disney when she flies from the top of the castle. The castle is 299ft tall, any taller it would need a red light at the top in accordance with Florida aviation safety laws.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

And are Pocahontas and Mulan technically Disney princesses, in the loosest definition of the word?

Disney Princess usually refers to the leading female protagonists in some sort of royal or power position. I would call them princesses, yes. Tinkerbell however is not a princess character. Tinkerbell is also usually played by a man at Disney when she flies from the top of the castle. The castle is 299ft tall, any taller it would need a red light at the top in accordance with Florida aviation safety laws.
    Disney Princesses is a trademark, beginning with Snow White, and coming through to the new one. (separate trademark began in the 90s, I think)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And oddly enough, Peter Pan is usually played by a girl.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So what's Disney's relationship with the Muppets? A large chunk of Jim Henson studios was sold to Disney but they haven't done anything with the Muppets in a long time. A revival of the Muppet Show and a movie called Mirror Mask and the regular Sesame Street stuff, I guess, in the last ten years.
    They're working on a new live Muppets movie currently.

They should be working on new Farscape instead. :x

When the frell are the webisodes coming?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    Hi D&D,

I just popped in to mention that I'm shocked no one has yet professed their love for Robin Hood and/or The Sword in the Stone. I would watch those movies over and over as a kid. But I am pleased with the Aladdin love.
    I watched the shit out of Robin Hood when I was very young. Between my love of that and The Jungle Book I was probably a hairsbreadth away from becoming a furry later on.

edit:

Oh, and I think more The Rescuers Down Under deserves more appreciation too. In addition to a conservationist moral, it also features George C. Scott! Clearly this is a great movie.

edit 2: Oh, and there's something about An American Tail that I really like, for a non-Disney classic.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Remember the hamster dance song? That was the minstrels song from Robin Hood sped up really fast.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am such a sucker for anything Disney, with the exception of the the animated stuff since Home on the Range. I grew up watching all the movies and animated TV shows like Ducktales, Gargoyles, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck, was a teen when the Disney Channel started having their teen programing/Disney Channel Original Movies, and I grew up (And still live) in Orlando, FL where Disney World is down the street.

I do have to disagree with people about the recent live action stuff sucking, though. While Pirates 2 and 3 were a bit of a mess, the first Pirates and Enchanted were good stuff. And I really can't wait for The Princess and the Frog. I feel like the second Disney Renaissance may be upon us. I really can't stand the animated shit they're pumping out now (Pixar excluded, of course).

Favorite movies? Anything from the late 80s to the mid 90s. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King specifically stand out. Peter Pan is another favorite and I have a soft spot for Robin Hood and The Sword and the Stone.

Also, no Kingdom Hearts love? While not made by Disney, I love it, stupid convoluted story and all.

Lynx on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked Pirates 2 and 3.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Pirates movies should have been horrible considering they were based on a theme park ride. They weren't cinema but they were nice light entertainment that wasn't too risque for kids or too kiddie for adults

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My wife and I are in an argument as to best disney song. I say "Can't wait to be king" she says "Bear neccesities".

I told her she is full of more fail than I can bear.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    My wife and I are in an argument as to best disney song. I say "Can't wait to be king" she says "Bear neccesities".

I told her she is full of more fail than I can bear.
    You're both wrong. When You Wish Upon A Star.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They should just re-release Song of the South and tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

No, they should release it because it is culturally significant and pretending it never happened is absurd.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I liked Pirates 2 and 3.

I enjoyed them despite the fact that they were a mess. But, really, there's no doubt in my mind that Pirates 1 was far, far superior. I'm hoping that the inevitable fouth movie will be more like the first and less like its sequels.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    They should just re-release Song of the South and tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

No, they should release it because it is culturally significant and pretending it never happened is absurd.
    That's the thing, they don't pretend it never happened. Zip A Dee Doo Dah gets used regularly in the parks, and Splash Mountain is entirely Song of the South themed. Just minus Uncle Remus. They're just terrified at the unending shitstorm that would occur if they did release it. It's kept locked up for the same reason the censored eleven are, and the same reason they frigging dubbed all the "mammy" lines in Tom & Jerry.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great song, but definately not in my top 5.

I would say mine go:

I Just Can't Wait to be King
    A Whole New World
    Gaston's Theme
    Belle's Theme
    Be Prepared!

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Oliver and Company, Aladin... I loved those movies when I was a kid. During my mid teen years I decided I hated all Disney movies and refused to watch them. Then when I hit about nineteen I remembered how great they really were and started buying all my favorites.

Most of my favorite songs come straight out of Little Mermaid. Sebastian had all the great songs.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm an absoulte nut for Disney Park audio. Music from rides and attractions. I have gigs of the stuff, and am always looking for more.

My most played tune on my MP3 player? Soundtrack for Country Bear Jamboree.

Tach on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A black princess? Is that... a first? The only non-white princess type characters I can remember were from movies in "far off lands".
    First black princess, there is lots of hullaballo. (Mulan was Chinese, Jasmine was from "Arabia" Pocahontas was Powhatan)

'Bout time!

MrMister on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Most likely my favorite song:

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0ebZYugEM
    Obviously When You Wish Upon a Star is the best

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    I liked Pirates 2 and 3.

I enjoyed them despite the fact that they were a mess. But, really, there's no doubt in my mind that Pirates 1 was far, far superior. I'm hoping that the inevitable fouth movie will be more like the first and less like its sequels.
    Well, the main problem the sequels had was that they tried to get a storyline out of the first movie to make a trilogy, even though it was supposed to be standalone. So if this one is supposed to be a standalone, it should be okay.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked Pirates 2 and 3.

Well, the main problem the sequels had was that they tried to get a storyline out of the first movie to make a trilogy, even though it was supposed to be standalone. So if this one is supposed to be a standalone, it should be okay.

I think the second and third Pirates movies could have been much better if they'd been done as their own movies instead of the first movie as a whole, the second movie as a cliffhanger and the third movie as a continuation of the second. I didn't enjoy that with the Matrix trilogy and I didn't enjoy it with Pirates either.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    I'm an absoulte nut for Disney Park audio. Music from rides and attractions. I have gigs of the stuff, and am always looking for more.

The following are all you'll ever need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQSEV0NagU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYBnCmnXcc&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Zh9jE36jw&feature=related

My favorite ride of all time. It saddens me that EPCOT is slowly becoming dumbed down.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    Haha, I remember that. When I was a little kid (really young--too young to realize what constituted normal gender roles), I loved that movie. I used to watch it constantly.

Also, I really used to like Fantasia. I was always frightened, not by the giant demon-thing (Night on Bald Mountain?), but by the Earthquake that comes after the dinosaur's reign.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »

[snip- Horizons rules]

My favorite ride of all time. It saddens me that EPCOT is slowly becoming dumbed down.
    Never got on Horizons, but the audio makes me feel like I've been on it a hundred times. Older stuff is amazing- some of the most memorable Disney music is in the theme parks.

Tach on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »

[snip- Horizons rules]

Never got on Horizons, but the audio makes me feel like I've been on it a hundred times. Older stuff is amazing- some of the most memorable Disney music is in the theme parks.

Yeah, I absolutely love the old WDW stuff. There was a clear vision for each attraction's theme, from the visuals, to the music, to the rides' cars themselves. That's why I get so disappointed with the new stuff. I mean, I understand tying Nemo to The Living Seas, but how does that tie into the rest of Future World? And Dinoland USA in Animal Kingdom? It looks like a local fair attraction, something definitely not Disney-like with its quality.

I dunno...I'm just an old coot who misses Horizons and Sea Base Alpha, complete with Hydrolators.

Regarding the films, I think that The Lion King would be my favorite, followed by Beauty and the Beast. I have a soft spot for The Black Hole as well. It's just so cheesy and an unabashed ripoff of other films in the genre at the time I just find it to rank really, really high on the unintentional comedy scale.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, I remember that. When I was a little kid (really young--too young to realize what constituted normal gender roles), I loved that movie. I used to watch it constantly.

Also, I really used to like Fantasia. I was always frightened, not by the giant demon-thing (Night on Bald Mountain?), but by the Earthquake that comes after the dinosaur's reign.

Night on Bald Mountain is the best Disney thing ever.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I liked Pirates 2 and 3.

I'm pretty sure it will be. It cuts out Will and Elizabeth entirely. It's supposed to be about Jack and Barbossa meeting up in the newly founded New Orleans and then setting out to find the Fountain of Youth. Since it's still three or so years away, this could change, but I think cutting out Will and Elizabeth will work to its advantage.

Also, regarding EPCOT, I still enjoy it. Then again, the way my friends do it is we get together in June for two of my friends' birthdays, start in Mexico and take a drink in every country all the way around to Canada, where we are well and truly smashed. Maybe that makes it better? I dunno.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Macera wrote: »

Night on Bald Mountain is the best Disney thing ever.
    Night on Bald Mountain gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My favorite part of EPCOT was the walking trashcan. Do they still have that, at least?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My favorite part of EPCOT was the walking trashcan. Do they still have that, at least?

They did as of like 2 years ago. Totally works too

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You'd think having an interracial couple would be considered less racist. It's pretty rare even in today's movies. It's always annoying to me when in a movie/tv show/whatever everybody starts pairing off and *gasp* the two black characters fall in love with each other! Even though they have nothing in common! Imagine that!

It's also kind of interesting that they're giving this story the Shakespeare treatment (changing the setting/time period). It's based off that story where the girl kisses the frog and it turns into a prince, right? I guess they'd have to get pretty liberal with the plot to stretch that out into a 90-minute movie anyway.

EDIT: OH FUCK

TERRIFYING TRASH CAN ROBOT MONSTER THING

Duffel on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

They did as of like 2 years ago. Totally works too

Man that thing could be great motivation for good behavior from crabby kids.

"Do you want the trash can to eat you? Here he comes! He loves to eat screaming kids! You'd better be quiet."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Given how badly park mascots get treated I can't help but wonder if people aren't mean to the poor robot murder-can, though. Maybe it's not like that at Disney since they rigidly enforce the "HAPPY HAPPY" rules but if it was at six flags or somewhere I can definitely see a crowd of surly, drunken teenagers hitting with a bat or stuffing it full of used condoms or something.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Given how badly park mascots get treated I can't help but wonder if people aren't mean to the poor robot murder-can, though. Maybe it's not like that at Disney since they rigidly enforce the "HAPPY HAPPY" rules but if it was at six flags or somewhere I can definitely see a crowd of surly, drunken teenagers hitting with a bat or stuffing it full of used condoms or something.
    Most costumed performers have a posse of guards disguised as guests. Especially the girls who play the Disney Princesses.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They need them. I've talked to people who had to do that job before - not at disney, but at other, more low-rent sorts of parks - and I've come to the conclusion that it's one of the worst jobs you can get, other than the whole "Blowjobs/Olive Garden" thing.

Parading around in a 60-pound mascot suit in 100 degree weather so pissed-off post-adolescents can attack and spit on you! Sign me up! Or don't.

I can also imagine creepy 40-year-old arrested-development types going to disneyland to look up Belle or Ariel to try to get all gropy and fulfill some obscene, unspoken fantasy. Although if the more recent PA strips are to be believed, the molesting actually goes the other way around...

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pluto gave me a hug once. Pretty sure it was a girl in there.

Disney's walk-around characters are pretty safe, I haven't seen any unruly behavior around them in years. And yeah, they all do have monitors who help wrangle crowds, and get them on and off stage on time.

I was at Disneyland a few years ago, during one of those band season things- they were having a huge meet up in the Big Thunder Ranch area. There were a bunch of rarely-seen characters giving photos. Apparently, it's a sort of training/hazing for the new folks.

Scary or hilarious? You decide.

Tach on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't know if it was mentioned, but The Black Cauldron was Book Two of The Prydain Chronicles, which was a totally awesome fantasy series back in the day that could eat Lord of the Rings for elevensies. Not sure why they just went with Book Two, I guess it probably was the best of the five, and how they chose that series in particular, but I remember totally lecturing all my friends who saw the movie with my superior knwledge having read the whole series. To this day I've never seen the movie, but I did play through part of the Sierra Adventure game based on it.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The characters generally have very little vision as well, especially peripheral. Most also tend to be petite girls too, for body size reasons mostly.
    Duffel wrote: »

Well there's no one actually in the trash can. There's just a guy a discrete distance away with a headset and small control trying to blend with the crowd.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png