As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Studio Monitors

BushiBushi Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I currently have a line on a set of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s and a set of M-Audio StudioPro 3s. They're running at about the same price, I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a significant difference in quality in between the two?

Bushi on

• Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The StudioPros are, according to their marketing info, aimed specifically at home recording but the studiophiles have regular listening and movies mentioned. Taking that completely at face value, go for the studiopros. They've got speakers stands that may or may not be effective, but at least they're trying.

At this level there probably isn't much difference. My usual go-to recommendation for recording cheap/mobile/foo are the Alesis M1 series. Your best bet is to buy from a local music store with a good return policy, you're not going to know how they sound in your space until they're in your space.

The biggest thing to remember is to not fall into the Gear-Acquisition-Syndrome trap. Every moment you spend dicking around worrying about how horrible your equipment is is time wasted not performing/recording/having fun. There is absolutely no ceiling for "perfect" in recording, none. You can ALWAYS spent more money. DON'T FALL FOR IT.

If your songs can move people, they'll move people recorded to monaural cassette tape. If you're recording for enjoyment, then just enjoy it!

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know you didn't ask but I use a pair of Event PS6 monitors and they are fantastic. Got them on craigslist for 100 bucks each.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not quite what you asked, I know, but I haven't been at all impressed with M-Audio's monitor offerings. I'd really, really consider looking into Edirol and Mackie monitors at the same price point. :|

wasted pixels on