As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX [registration] Is Still Coming

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2014 in PAX West
Let the continuation of the registration conversation commence. Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with your fellow posters, be civil and respectful of each other.

FYI, page 14 of this thread has some Q&A with Robert Khoo. Valuable information there.

Historical badge sale time spreadsheet link

No registration on May 21, via the following tweet:

All your guesses are still wrong, until they aren't ;)

PAXisComing.jpg

zerzhul on

• Options
    LobstarLobstar Nades All Day East-SideRegistered User regular
    Well today was fun. Lets all agree on that? No? OK then ...

• Options
    SanDogWepsSanDogWeps Limerick Monger San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Rabble!

keyanEQ2_100x400.gif
  • Options
    brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    This has been a crazy roller coaster of emotions and I just want it to end in passes. D:

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • Options
    The_TimThe_Tim Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    FWIW, the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon released a bunch of (free) tickets to some upcoming showings today via Showclix. I'm pretty sure that was a good part of why Showclix was down earlier today.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Showclix Fallon&src=typd

e.g.

etc.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    While I'm sure that was one of the reasons, I'm also pretty sure that the majority of the web issues were caused by us. Otherwise, why does showclix fall about 4 minutes after paxsite falls?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    While I'm sure that was one of the reasons, I'm also pretty sure that the majority of the web issues were caused by us. Otherwise, why does showclix fall about 4 minutes after paxsite falls?
    And paxsite came back like 20 seconds after the tweet came out about no tickets. But Showclix has been iffy for hours since then.

• Options
    BirrhanBirrhan Registered User regular

Jimmy Fallon Twitter: 1,200,000 followers (https://twitter.com/FallonTonight)
    Official_PAX Twitter: 157,000 followers (https://twitter.com/Official_PAX)

It's OK to blame Jimmy Fallon.

• Options
    Yeah, PAX probably has a way bigger fan base than the Tonight Show (which has over 3 million viewers).

</sarc> ;)

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Besides revealing weak infrastructure, today was an eye opener on how many people are ready and set to buy tickets (folks on this thread are certainly not enough to dump Pax and ShowClix). Will be even more attentive on tracking the site now.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    cryowafflecryowaffle Registered User regular
    The_Tim wrote: »
    Yeah, PAX probably has a way bigger fan base than the Tonight Show (which has over 3 million viewers).

</sarc> ;)

The big difference is that the Fallon Show Twitter probably has a lot of people following that would never make time to go see the show. On the flipside, if you are following PAX_Official there is a decent chance you want to go to their primary show of the year.

Just sayin'.

• Options
    istoleyourfoodistoleyourfood Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking they will probably wait until after the PaxDev folks complete their early hotel registration to open the floodgates, which means Friday or some time next week. That hopefully means I can have a relaxed, worry free drive to Brea tomorrow :smiley:

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Besides revealing weak infrastructure, today was an eye opener on how many people are ready and set to buy tickets (folks on this thread are certainly not enough to dump Pax and ShowClix). Will be even more attentive on tracking the site now.

I'm going to defend Showclix and PA here, at least on the infrastructure side. This whole "they're too lazy to build it right" crowd got a little loud at the end of the last thread, and it's unwarranted.

The quote that drew my attention:
    ryamkajr wrote: »
    You know, I really have to question their competence. I know this is a one time a year (or maybe 3 time a year) event, but you would really think they would have done something by now to be able to keep their systems up under the onslaught of 200,000 people....

No, the question is valid. From the last few years they know there is a HUGE crush. They should be expecting it and planning workarounds for it. It is just good basic business acumen. They do not need to extra processing power, etc at other times of the year, but they could put something in place for the near term around these events. Now they are impacting other business's web sites.

Again, it shows either a lack of foresight or just a do-not-give-a-^%$#^& attitude.

All just an opinion.

I'll go ahead and help people with this perception of how "easy" it is to fix and how not hardening the network to any and all attacks clearly shows nobody "cares". Let's do a cost analysis:

PA-5050 firewall (because application awareness is a requirement for this type of scenario): $110,000
    F5 11K series LTM: $140,000
    L3 OC48 Wave Circuit: Anywhere from $120,000 to $300,000 per month depending on wholesaler

Oh, and let's not forget that you can't have single points of failure, so you have to treat all this gear like Noah's Ark and get 2 of each.

That's a grand total of $740,000 - at a MINIMUM. And that's just the back-end network infrastructure, not even server upgrades. It also doesn't touch on the fact that if you're going to spend that much money on those pieces, you've gotta go 10 gig fiber throughout your core, which means you're also looking at Nexus 7K series switches in the core, 5K's on the distro layer, and 2K FEX extenders downstream of that because the 6509's they're undoubtedly using right now likely go downstream to 3750's that can only support 1 gig across the ports w/ 2 10 gig channels. Your project is now well into the millions.

And remember that 'Noah's Ark' line I made earlier? Yeah, this only accounts for one datacentre's worth of costs. One datacentre = a single point of failure, so you can go ahead and double all *those* costs, because you need a second facility just in case the first one catches fire. It's not only infeasible to expect a company - ANY company - to absorb that sort of a CapEx hit just to satisfy demand for one event, it's downright suicidal from a business perspective.

Think of PAX like a one-time DDoS attack. Most companies combat that by hiring Spamhaus or by purchasing an outside-the-perimeter IPS to drop the sessions. They can't do that in this instance because the traffic is legitimate. There's really no way to fix this. For those of you who use (or used to use) Woot, think of it like their bags of crap. They didn't WANT their sessions to grind to a halt every time one came up, but there was no fiscally responsible way to resolve it. Same situation here.

• Options
    LobstarLobstar Nades All Day East-SideRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    There's really no way to fix this. For those of you who use (or used to use) Woot, think of it like their bags of crap. They didn't WANT their sessions to grind to a halt every time one came up, but there was no fiscally responsible way to resolve it.

Oh God, I eventually got 8 of those damned things. Its a good example. You had to be in the right place, at the right time, monitoring everything and having a back up (phone, work computer, remote to home computer, etc).

That said, I think for a while they had a really creative way of letting people order them. They came up with little flash/java games you could win which would bring you to a randomized product code on their page. The code would only be good for a small-ish (less than 100) bags of crap. That way, they could limit the flow of people into the system two-fold. You move the traffic to a resource that is easier to manage (up stream bandwidth in this case) instead of putting the load on your transaction servers. Then again, I don't see a web comic investing in a custom solution and as long as a third party manages ticket sales, we will probably never see this level of innovation of process.

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    We're back! So SOON?

• Options
    It was certainly odd that the tweet went out that there would be no sale today and within a minute or two both the pax site and showclix site were accessible again.

• Options
    XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    Let the guessing begin!

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    The jimmy fallon tickets went on sale @ 4:17. We too showclix down at 1:30.

• Options
    ryamkajrryamkajr Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Quintious wrote: »
    SinoSamba wrote: »

I'm going to defend Showclix and PA here, at least on the infrastructure side. This whole "they're too lazy to build it right" crowd got a little loud at the end of the last thread, and it's unwarranted.

The quote that drew my attention:
    You know, I really have to question their competence. I know this is a one time a year (or maybe 3 time a year) event, but you would really think they would have done something by now to be able to keep their systems up under the onslaught of 200,000 people....

No, the question is valid. From the last few years they know there is a HUGE crush. They should be expecting it and planning workarounds for it. It is just good basic business acumen. They do not need to extra processing power, etc at other times of the year, but they could put something in place for the near term around these events. Now they are impacting other business's web sites.

Again, it shows either a lack of foresight or just a do-not-give-a-^%$#^& attitude.

All just an opinion.

I'll go ahead and help people with this perception of how "easy" it is to fix and how not hardening the network to any and all attacks clearly shows nobody "cares". Let's do a cost analysis:

<snip>

Quint,

I do work in IT specifically in cloud computing. I do help companies with needs analysis. I do know what is possible and what can be done. You are making the completely illogical assumption that PA would buy this hardware/etc for ongoing use. They have no need for it. Additional support can be contracted out for short periods of time and cost a whole hell of a lot less and provide them with a lot more bandwidth, guaranteed uptimes, etc. These events are scheduled and can be planned for. PA just continues to bungle through each ticket release without improving the situation.

I am more than happy to discuss the issue with you in detail. Me or another consultant from my firm will be more than happy to discuss options and provide you with service quotes.

And yes, I know you have nothing to do with PA. This is a semi facetious response to your assumption that I do not know what I a talking about.

ryamkajr on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The jimmy fallon tickets went on sale @ 4:17. We too showclix down at 1:30.
    They announced two days ago that they would be selling tickets via Showclix on 5/21:

From the link in that tweet:
    Tickets for these special Orlando shows will be on May 21, using our regular ticketing website.

So it's quite possible that hundreds of thousands of Jimmy Fallon fans were F5-ing the Showclix site today well before they officially announced the availability, just as all of us are F5-ing the PAX site.

[addendum]
    And actually that's a good example of why the PAX organizers don't give anyone a specific date that tickets will be made available. Doing so would only exaggerate the site stability issues laid out by Quintious above.

The_Tim on
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Stuff

What you're talking about is farming out the responsibility to AWS/EC2 or Rackspace. Also not a viable solution. For one, the startup costs associated with farming out to that is quite high. For another, not a one of those cloud services firms ever actually honours their SLA's. You're going to get no guarantee of uptime that you can count on. All of them promise 5 9's, and with all of them you're lucky if you get 97 under load, to say nothing of the absurd burst rates you get hit with. And when something goes down - not if, when - support is basically non-existent. You also end up having to hire out or contract out a cloud services architect to make the whole thing work because it's not simply a matter of pushing out an application into AWS and watching it go. I get that you cloud SE's have to tout the wonder of the cloud day in and day out as though it's the greatest technological revolution since bits and bytes, but for those of us with years of actual field work that have worked in actual cloud integration and seen what the reality is vs. the sales pitch, we know how the story really plays out.

Quintious on
  • Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Wonder if we can get a 2nd thread up to a 100 pages before badges go on sale :smiley:

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    Birrhan wrote: »

Jimmy Fallon Twitter: 1,200,000 followers (https://twitter.com/FallonTonight)
    Official_PAX Twitter: 157,000 followers (https://twitter.com/Official_PAX)

It's OK to blame Jimmy Fallon.

I don't know about you, but I ALWAYS blame Jimmy Fallon for everything. I think my boss is getting tired of it TBH...

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    Wonder if we can get a 2nd thread up to a 100 pages before badges go on sale :smiley:

I most certainly hope not. :| It would be nice if tickets went on sale tomorrow or Friday, because while checking on tickets has practically become a part of my life at this point, I'd just like it to be over(one way or another.)

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    Please no! That being said, next 2 days wouldn't be ideal. I can't imagine them doing this to themselves on a Friday before a holiday weekend, so my guess is tomorrow.

• Options
    GammaknightGammaknight Registered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/DIEo9Oq.jpg

For your eyes only...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And so it's come to this. Because I'm headed out of the country and no tickets yet, I had to shell out for international messaging and data. The things we do for PAX.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

For your eyes only...

Already covered in the last thread. Sparked quite a few pages of debate.

havok978 on
    XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    captian54captian54 Vidographer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm just happy I've had a relatively stress free wait. I doubt it will be from here on out though. Stuff starts happening around my house this week.

R3z3wlJ.png
    ZOHC4v.png
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And so it's come to this. Because I'm headed out of the country and no tickets yet, I had to shell out for international messaging and data. The things we do for PAX.
    Your dedication is admirable, my friend. I think most of us would do the same thing.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    havok978 wrote: »

For your eyes only...

I seem to have missed this. I won't bother asking for a summary since I can only imagine it devolved into bickering. I am curious if this was confirmed to be real or not.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Options
    GammaknightGammaknight Registered User regular

For your eyes only...

oh very sorry did not know!

• Options

For your eyes only...

I seem to have missed this. I won't bother asking for a summary since I can only imagine it devolved into bickering. I am curious if this was confirmed to be real or not.

Actually, it was pretty civil. As for confirmation, you might want to look here for Tube's response, which I guess is as about as close to confirmation as you'll get:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189272/prime-2014-registration-anticipation/p92

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options

For your eyes only...

oh very sorry did not know!

Hey, these threads have been moving like crazy the past few days :P

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    Aaaaah, so much space inna new thread. I hesitate to be bold at all, but I think releasing over the holiday weekend would be a delirious form of madness, and I've got plans, so tomorrow, yah, trying to feel it. :smile: Especially after today...

• Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    PookyAlert wrote: »
    Aaaaah, so much space inna new thread. I hesitate to be bold at all, but I think releasing over the holiday weekend would be a delirious form of madness, and I've got plans, so tomorrow, yah, trying to feel it. :smile: Especially after today...

I hope you're right, but that dang e-mail about hotel reservations is what's killing my optimism. It seems to suggest that it will be some time after Thursday. =/

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Well, since this thread is back on track. My next guess is Friday, probably at 12PM PST.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    MovieStarKittenMovieStarKitten Registered User regular
    I am still sticking it out too. When will the torture end.....Glad to see everyone is still here though. I hope we all get tickets. There are so many deserving and dedicated right here!

• Options
    Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

For your eyes only...

Yeah and this was in the other thread

Edit to add: I'm a dick sorry, tired and grumpy and my arthritis is flaring up from all this bloody time at a keyboard

Goddess of Madness on
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    solomon123 wrote: »

I hope you're right, but that dang e-mail about hotel reservations is what's killing my optimism. It seems to suggest that it will be some time after Thursday. =/

I have been sort of desperately trying not to think about it...but I have a morale event Friday morning with my group (very large group), it's a movie event. There are four different movies starting at staggered times between 9AM and 11AM. So basically, I'm terrified, ROTFLOL! I'd be hard-pressed to even have the phone up, and the thought of waiting until the tweet goes out now seems double-cruel. Bah.

Hoping for tomorrow instead helps my spirits. All the rules are different this year, perhaps the dates the hotels go up are also different!

• Options
    DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    solomon123 wrote: »

I have been sort of desperately trying not to think about it...but I have a morale event Friday morning with my group (very large group), it's a movie event. There are four different movies starting at staggered times between 9AM and 11AM. So basically, I'm terrified, ROTFLOL! I'd be hard-pressed to even have the phone up, and the thought of waiting until the tweet goes out now seems double-cruel. Bah.

Hoping for tomorrow instead helps my spirits. All the rules are different this year, perhaps the dates the hotels go up are also different!

Have you tried explaining it would be better for your own morale to simply skip the movie and F5 all day?

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
This discussion has been closed.