Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The mystery plots do occasionally shine, though. I think the recent con artist episode really worked, for example.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Psh, realism schmealism.

In this show I normally agree, but for me the police storming the bus was just super bad. I couldn't stop thinking "That would never, ever happen."

Raynaga on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    A coating of realism for the show? In reality people usually are wronged (murdered, assaulted, raped) by those closest to them not some random person.

Psh, realism schmealism. The point of a mystery is to have the victim be unpredictable enough that you have to figure it out. It's not like "crazy stalker" or "abusive druggie bandmate" aren't viable suspects, either.

Not that it matters much. We're all watching this show more for the funny sexy adventures of Mystery Writer Mal, not for the elaborate mystery plots. But still.

Why not have the first suspect actually be the culprit. Once they talked to the producers I knew it was them ... Why not have the crazy stalker actually be the murderer? Mix it up a little ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    A coating of realism for the show? In reality people usually are wronged (murdered, assaulted, raped) by those closest to them not some random person.

Psh, realism schmealism. The point of a mystery is to have the victim be unpredictable enough that you have to figure it out. It's not like "crazy stalker" or "abusive druggie bandmate" aren't viable suspects, either.

Not that it matters much. We're all watching this show more for the funny sexy adventures of Mystery Writer Mal, not for the elaborate mystery plots. But still.

Why not have the first suspect actually be the culprit. Once they talked to the producers I knew it was them ... Why not have the crazy stalker actually be the murderer? Mix it up a little ...

As far as I'm concerned, they could do a show where Castle is commander of a small pirate ship and...er, I mean one where there isn't really a mystery and Castle is hanging around the precinct waiting for something to happen (think the opening of Hot Fuzz). It wouldn't really take anything away for me :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honestly, they could do an entire show of them in a coffee shop with absolutely no mysteries whatsoever, and I'd enjoy it more than anything else on TV right now.

Ender on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    Honestly, they could do an entire show of them in a coffee shop with absolutely no mysteries whatsoever, and I'd enjoy it more than anything else on TV right now.

I wonder how entertaining a Castle episode would be if you edited out all the investigative bits.

It would probably still be pretty watchable.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would enjoy Castle if they got rid of the mystery stuff and made it a sitcom about the hijinks of a mystery writer with writer's block, his live-in flirty mother and daughter who is smarter and a better person than he is.

As long as they kept the cast, that is.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I would enjoy Castle if they got rid of the mystery stuff and made it a sitcom about the hijinks of a mystery writer with writer's block, his live-in flirty mother and daughter who is smarter and a better person than he is.

Still need to work Beckett in there, because she is a pretty awesome character too. And the buddy-cop duo.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Galielmus wrote: »

Still need to work Beckett in there, because she is a pretty awesome character too. And the buddy-cop duo.

Wacky neighbors for the buddy-cops. Beckett I dunno, but she would have the "Oh, CASTLE. *laugh track*" catch phrase.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    No.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Galielmus wrote: »

Wacky neighbors for the buddy-cops. Beckett I dunno, but she would have the "Oh, CASTLE. *laugh track*" catch phrase.

Californication?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Is this coffin empty or did you just pull off an awesome magic trick?"

Tomanta on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Really good episode so far.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Is this coffin empty or did you just pull off an awesome magic trick?"

Cracked me the hell up.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've really begun to like this show in spite of it's camp.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    'I can get the commissioner on the phone inside of a minute'
    'Tell him I said hi, and I need a raise.'

Bobble on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so awesome

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Indeed. The captain is pretty badass.

Oh, and the gay guy was from the episode of Firefly where they do the Train Job. He was the ... sheriff or somesuch.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

Oh, and the gay guy was from the episode of Firefly where they do the Train Job. He was the ... sheriff or somesuch.

His name is Gregg Henry and he is awesome. He was in Payback and Slither and about a billion and a half TV shows. He was Eddie Izzard's boss in The Riches most recently. He was also in MOTHER FUCKING AIRWOLF!

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

His name is Gregg Henry and he is awesome. He was in Payback and Slither and about a billion and a half TV shows. He was Eddie Izzard's boss in The Riches most recently. He was also in MOTHER FUCKING AIRWOLF!

Gregg Henry is one of my favorite "That guys" as he always looks the same but he is a bit of a chamelon. His role in Slither and Payback are personal faves.

Anyone else notice this episode was directed by Will Riker? (I assume there is only one Johnathon Frakes in hollywood, or at least one that directs).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IMDB confirmed, the one and only Riker directed it.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was awesome.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Srsly? Daaaamn! He's a pretty good director.

I very much enjoyed this episode. The Captain was really one of the only unfleshed characters, and to see a Captain-centric episode was awesome, especially with him kicking ass and taking names.

Ender on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This show is so good.

I love the way that Castle being a writer gives them a chance to poke fun at the fourth wall without breaking the fourth wall.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    Srsly? Daaaamn! He's a pretty good director.

I very much enjoyed this episode. The Captain was really one of the only unfleshed characters, and to see a Captain-centric episode was awesome, especially with him kicking ass and taking names.

I did like how the captain previously was just kind of a token ass kisser of his higher ups. This ep showed he's a little more than that. Combined with learning more about the other two hombres I'm liking how they are fleshing out the supporting characters.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »

He recently directed a really strong episode of Dollhouse ("Belonging") as well.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He started directing some ST:TNG stuff back then, and has been doing it pretty consistently ever since from what I recall.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

He recently directed a really strong episode of Dollhouse ("Belonging") as well.

False premise there are no strong episodes of dollhouse...

Glad to see that Frakes is out there though, he's always come off as a really nice guy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

False premise there are no strong episodes of dollhouse...

Glad to see that Frakes is out there though, he's always come off as a really nice guy.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This show is so predictable. The mystery is usually obvious by the first commercial break. But the writing is so good I keep watching..

adytum on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "I'm something of a word smith..."

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I came in about 15 minutes in to the episode, right about when they were interviewing Scarlet (?) and as soon as I sat down I jokingly blurted out "she did it!"

... yeah...

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I was really hoping there wouldn't be a sudden twist five minutes from the end of the episode. Literally, I was watching it on Hulu and the innocent phrase which unraveled the whole scheme came at 36:14 of a 41:38 long episode. I thought that for once, their police work had actually found the criminal and it could end without the suspect changing again at the last second. Despite this hope, I knew it was Scarlet by the time they got to her with the dead dude. At least it wasn't as obvious throughout the whole episode like it is with some of their other ones.

It would have been so refreshing to have seen the episode end with Scarlet killing the criminal and that being that. That things don't always end with an arrest and everything being neatly packaged.

But I just can't say no to seeing more Stana Katic. Or Nathan Fillion. And both of them? Fuhgeddaboudit. The writing really is that good.

Oh, and the black guy was a cool new character. I reckon we'll be seeing him again.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "But hes a word smith!"

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really hoping there wouldn't be a sudden twist five minutes from the end of the episode. Literally, I was watching it on Hulu and the innocent phrase which unraveled the whole scheme came at 36:14 of a 41:38 long episode. I thought that for once, their police work had actually found the criminal and it could end without the suspect changing again at the last second. Despite this hope, I knew it was Scarlet by the time they got to her with the dead dude. At least it wasn't as obvious throughout the whole episode like it is with some of their other ones.

It would have been so refreshing to have seen the episode end with Scarlet killing the criminal and that being that. That things don't always end with an arrest and everything being neatly packaged.

But I just can't say no to seeing more Stana Katic. Or Nathan Fillion. And both of them? Fuhgeddaboudit. The writing really is that good.

Oh, and the black guy was a cool new character. I reckon we'll be seeing him again.

It was pretty obvious to me that she was the culprit as soon as they introduced her the second time.

But that won't stop me from coming back for more!

adytum on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I knew the moment I saw her on Castle's doorstep, but until then I thought the Pimp was it since he was played by Jonathan LaPaglia. Its the Narrow it down to the guy I recognise rule. He may not be a big name(he is Anthony LaPaglia's brother), but he has been in a ton of stuff.

I also thought the Vice cop was into something major for the same reason as he was played by Danny Nucci. The Asian guy I recognised but couldn't remember where from(nice of them to put him in, instead of random white guy).

Hope we see more of Vice Cop though. One scene, but a good one.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TwistedWhispersTwistedWhispers Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wasn't the brother-in-law the Head Surgeon from Scrubs? Dr. Wu, I thnk?

TwistedWhispers on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dr Wen. You are correct sir.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh, your right! Thank god! That would have plagued me all day.

Thanks! :D

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.