As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fashion] ver 37.4: the layering. This Time it's Personal!

CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract MetalThingyRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
It is getting close to winter time which means its time for jackets and layering! YAY! A simple scarf, vest, or jacket can turn a boring outfit into something rather stylish.

Here are some random images of fashionish stuff:
9199Red1380Web.jpg

StreetEtiquette2007-20091.png

9109RedFull9117Web.jpg

jkissifit.png

8189GreeneStWeb.jpg

This is how to rock the shit out of a suit:
3972449895_616225835a_o.jpg

Previous OP that should be read by all new comers:
Where we talk about men and women's fashion, clothing, style, hair, etc. This OP will be mostly geared towards men's fashion because I'm guessing most people reading this will be men and will need the most help. Also I am a man so I know less about women's fashion. If you have any questions it really helps if you post a picture to help others give the best advice possible. You can also treat this as a What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) thread and post outfits that you are wearing or some of your outfits that you find interesting.

Basic things about fashion for the newcomers:
There are rules for fashion but they can always be broken successfully if you know about the rules and are making a conscious and well thought out way of breaking it. Also, if you need a coat for winter go with a peacoat it is a very safe bet and looks good and pretty much everyone.

Other basic rules:
- Navy and black don't mix.
- Your belt and shoes should match.
- Brown shoes/ belt with blue, green or tan suits/ jackets. Black for most everything else.
- Skinny lapels skinny tie. Fat lapels fat tie.
- No white after labor day (I break this rule somewhat often but this is usually on warm days).
- Fedoras look bad on almost everyone.
- Wear very very short socks or no socks at all when wearing shoes and shorts.
- Black button-up shirt with ties and/ or jackets are a fucking atrocity
- If you wear a tshirt under a large coat like a peacoat make sure you wear a scarf to cover your neck/t-shirt otherwise it looks kind of silly.
- Scarf / ascot tying guide.

Make sure things FIT PROPERLY:
This means that the seams of our shirt should be on the top of your shoulder and not down on your arm. Shirts should also fit your arm length and chest size. Long sleeve shirts should come down to the hinge of your wrist and if worn with a suit jacket should show 1/4 to 1/2 inch of your shirt at your wrist. Outerwear coats should technically stop where your thumb bone meets your hand so halfway between your wrist and knuckles. I really prefer my coats to stop 1/4 of the way between my wrist and knuckles so it doesn't look like the sleeve is swallowing my hand. Your pants should stay on your waist without using a belt but belts are still suggested. Most pants should just be long enough that they touch the top of your shoe with little or no break (ie you shouldn't be walking on your jeans).

Picture to show you what I mean NOW LOOK!:
Here is how a shirt should fit your shoulder and this applies to tshirts as well as dress shirts. Pictures are posted from worst to best:

Notice how the shoulder seam is wayyyy down on my arm and not up on the shoulder. (this is a large):
fit4.jpg

This one is a little bit better but the shoulder seam doesn't fit perfectly and notice how the fabric poofs away from my arm. That means the sleeves are not fitting my arm very well: fit3.jpg

This shirt is almost spot on. The shoulder seam fits nicely but there is too much fabric on the sleeves so it poofs out a little bit (size small).
fit2.jpg

This is perfect the seam fits my shoulder and there is no poofing out around my bicep(small as well).
fit1.jpg

The following is how to get the arm length correct on dress shirts:

Notice how this is past the hinge of my wrist and is billowy and is stacking some. This fits really poorly:
armfit2.jpg

This is how a sleeve should look. It stops right at the hinge of my wrist and is slim on my arm:
armfit1.jpg

Overall Fit Examples:
00001f.jpg
00002f.jpg

00003f.jpg
00004f.jpg

How to Measure Yourself - for guys

self-measure-figure.jpg

sleeve-measure.jpg

Sleeve measurement:
1. you will need an existing jacket that fits well (if the sleeves are too long/short you will need to accomodate this adjustment in the measurement)
2. hang the jacket on a hanger so it is draping as naturally as possible (pics show measurement on table but I dont recommend this if you haven't done this before)
3. start measurement at the top of sleevehead
4. go all the way down to bottom along the longest route
5. to keep it in perspective, an average person up to 5'6 might have a 22-23" sleeve. 5'7-5'10" can range from 23"-25". 5'11" and taller can range from 25" - 27"

Shoulder Measurements:
front-shoulder-measure.jpg
Shoulder measurements seem to be tricky, so hopefully this helps. Measurement would be "seam to seam" on a well fitting shirt (key here is WELL fitting, not too narrow or wide). The measurement is taken "bone to bone", and for most guys their shoulders will measure anywhere in the range of 15" - 18" across the front, depending on your height and build

back-shoulder-measurement.jpg
The back shoulder is done the same as the front...generally the back shoulder is .5" - 1" wider than the front, for reference. Some guys can measure the same as the front, but it's more common for the back to be slightly wider. If you cannot get an accurate back measurement, the front can be used to proportionately guesstimate the back, by adding 1" to the front.

measurement guide from http://www.thickasthievesla.com/selfMeasure.html

Where to get clothes:
Cheap-ish places to get clothes:
Banana Republic Outlet - Usually significantly cheaper than the regular BR store.
Express - on sale which happens all the time also if you sign up for their emails / mail they send lots of coupons.
Forever21 - now has men's clothes too but not at all locations.
Gap - cheap basics
H&M - not in every state and no online store.
Nordstrom Rack.
Saks Off-Fifth Avenue - Some things are still expensive some aren't you just have to look around
Zara - cheapish good clothes but only in a few places and doesn't have an online store.

Other Places:
American Apparel - plain clothes but fit tall and skinny people rather well.
Banana Republic - conservative / office wear
BCBG - women's
Bluefly.com - online only sells slightly discounted designer clothes.
Brooks Brothers (brooksbrothers.com) - spendy but classic and well-made suits and office wear. Watch for sales unless you have texas$
Gilt - Designer clothes for sale - online.
Guess
London Fog - good coats.
Macy's
Modista.com - great way to search for shoes and handbags
Nordstrom's
Threadless - online tshirts place with varying designs
Topman - rather good clothes that fit skinny guys. IMO their website doesn't do the place justice
United Colors of Bennetton - More prep/dressy with very fitted shirts.
Urban Outfitters - great place for skinny guys but a bit pricey - check their clearance section.
Van Huesen - mostly dress shirts
Yesstyle.com - Sells asian version of lots of designer stuff but word is clothing build quality is only ok. Make sure to check the size chart before ordering from here.
Place to find coupons for ordering online - http://www.retailmenot.com/

If anyone thinks part of this OP is wrong or if something should be added please let me know and I will try and change it.
fashionating.jpg

Incomplete section describing various styles and fashion genres with some pictures:
So this is what I have so far if anyone wants to help find pictures and fill out descriptions.
NOTE: I found a good number of pictures but they are hosted at a site that doesn't allow direct linking so you will have to RIGHT CLICK -> copy link address and paste it to view the links.

I'm sure I've forgotten some other style genres so I NEED HELP adding more and finding more pictures.

Prep- This style usually contains lots of polos, plain dress shirts, sweater vests, boat shoes.
Semi Prep - A step away from prep with less polos and more dress shirts with 'flare' such as pockets and epaulets. I would consider this more casual. I'm not sure this is really a category.

Urban - Hoodies with lots of colors or loud patterns, very colorful sneakers, large design tshirts.
bape-h-02l.jpg
bape-roadsta-main-full.jpg

Hipster - very skinny jeans with lots of tapering at the ankle, ironic shirts, wayfayers, chucks

Retro - This has a lot of crossover with hipster. Very self explanatory people dressing in styles of previous generations. A lot of the popular styles pertain to 1920s-50s workers.

Runway/Designer - The crazy clothing that designers make but almost no one ever wears. This is not really meant to be worn. This is more of an art or muse for clothing people actually wear.
Try sitting down in this thing without flashing everyone >_>
jennifer-connelly-balenciaga.jpg

Other-
sexfh_fit.jpg

Punk - generally lots of black, spiked belts/chokers, crazy spiked or shaved head

DISCUSS NOW!

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
CommunistCow on

• Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're a fan of the sartorialist, I see =)

I wish I had red hair like that guy at the top. It'd make all the earth tones i wear way less boring.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hello fashion thread! if you are reading this page and have questions about tuxedos, start here: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/0_Introduction.htm

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That guy is not rocking the shit out of that suit. I can see his zipper. Those pants are way too tight. He looks weak.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Might wanna find new hosting for the waffleimages pics. Someone's been browsing SomethingAwful!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That suit sucks.

Those pants are way to tight. The only purpose for that suit is to take pictures and never be use again.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but if you think that guy is "rocking the shit out of a suit" I'm not sure you're qualified to OP a fashion thread.

Clipse on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That guy is not rocking the shit out of that suit. I can see his zipper. Those pants are way too tight. He looks weak.

seriously. it looks like a slight breeze could come by and blow him off his tiny little stick legs

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just ordered this Timbuk2 Messenger Bag:

41zF34hByeL._AA280_.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The suited man looks like a crossbreed of a skinny-jean hipster and a classic G-man.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lurk wrote: »

Goddamn is that thing hideous.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is she....is she lynching that dog?

moniker on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes, yes she is.

So I just ordered the thick as thieves suit. Hopefully it will be here in about a month.

All you nay-sayers can either come up with some better pictures and a better OP or fuck right the hell off. :)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is that dude in the yellow trenchcoat/southwester wearing duck boots? Those are cool now?

Edit: Yeah. Loren is right about that suit. The pants are either too tight, fit poorly, or poorly made if its distorting like that.

Now generally, I bias towards less slim and skinny fitting pants than CC, but I think you can find a better picture of a guy in a slim cut suit than that.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes, yes she is.

So I just ordered the thick as thieves suit. Hopefully it will be here in about a month.

All you nay-sayers can either come up with some better pictures and a better OP or fuck right the hell off. :)

why does the guy on that website look like he just shit himself?
    mainImage.jpg

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Point taken. Finding a good hat is a pain in the ass : (

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Is that dude in the yellow trenchcoat/southwester wearing duck boots? Those are cool now?

Edit: Yeah. Loren is right about that suit. The pants are either too tight, fit poorly, or poorly made if its distorting like that.

Now generally, I bias towards less slim and skinny fitting pants than CC, but I think you can find a better picture of a guy in a slim cut suit than that.

Uh no those are LL bean water proof boots: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=35487&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503389&feat=503389-tn&cat4=503383

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, they aren't calling them duck boots, but thats exactly what they are.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

heres a hot tip: unless you are at risk of hypothermia, or at a sporting event, 99.9% of people should not wear hats period

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes, yes she is.

why does the guy on that website look like he just shit himself?
    mainImage.jpg

He's shitting himself in smug satisfaction for wearing a better suit than you.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Perhaps the title should be changed to "put down the Fedora"

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

heres a hot tip: unless you are at risk of hypothermia, or at a sporting event, 99.9% of people should not wear hats period

Don't be a hat...er.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Uh no those are LL bean water proof boots: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=35487&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503389&feat=503389-tn&cat4=503383

Those are ducks.

And yes, ducks are cool. In the classic sort of way. But only if you are in a relatively rural area/doing some camping; not walking down Michigan Avenue. For that get regular shoes or less obvious boots.

moniker on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    THOUGHTS:

That hat is terrible. Most hats are terrible. Except on girls.

I like the OP and people should shut up unless they want to take the time to make one. Of course opinions will differ about styles and such but no need to insult CommieCow.

I think Timbuk2 messenger bags are played out and I'm tired of seeing them (though I know they are well made and popular for a reason).

So It Goes on
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So anyone have a huge freaking head?
    I say this because I did a rough measurement of my head about a year ago and I believe my head had about a two foot circumference.
    So, obviously I have trouble finding beanies/hats and glasses that fit.
    What I want now is a beanie and/or hat, but usually they sit too high on my head, don't fit my head, don't cover my ears, or barely cover them.
    I was just wondering if people could just toss out a couple suggestions for brands/retailers, I wouldn't even mind a hat/beanie with ear flaps, something that keeps my head warm and doesn't look like shit. I've been wearing hoods all my life and I'm getting sick of it.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The suited man looks like a crossbreed of a skinny-jean hipster and a classic G-man.

It's a G-Man on casual friday.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So anyone have a huge freaking head?
    I say this because I did a rough measurement of my head about a year ago and I believe my head had about a two foot circumference.
    So, obviously I have trouble finding beanies/hats and glasses that fit.
    What I want now is a beanie and/or hat, but usually they sit too high on my head, don't fit my head, don't cover my ears, or barely cover them.
    I was just wondering if people could just toss out a couple suggestions for brands/retailers, I wouldn't even mind a hat/beanie with ear flaps, something that keeps my head warm and doesn't look like shit. I've been wearing hoods all my life and I'm getting sick of it.

Yes, I fall into the "virtual planetoid" category, since I take a 7&5/8th hat.

My main advice is, "one size fits all" hats are a god damn lie. You'll want to look for hats that at a minimum come in the S-XL range, or better, come in actual hat sizes like the link I posted gives.

Corvus on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What this guy (and everyone else) said. The waist is way too high for trousers that tight. Also, he's wearing trousers with belt loops and isn't actually wearing a belt. Also, he's upright without buttoning his jacket. Also, his head looks way too big. Also, the jacket sleeves look too long (left arm). Also, seriously, what kind of white dude wears a black suit with a white shirt? Get some pinstripes or colour in there.

Question for future personal reference: are there any places with a good range of knitted waistcoats (as in patterns and things)? I haven't found any decent ranges online or in any shops around here, so maybe I should just rent someone's grandma for the day.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goddamnit all the free clothes I'm getting from my job this month are going to be useless outside of work.

On the plus side I got this bag for $45. I wish it were bigger but no complaints otherwise.

I am considering getting these boots 'cause they'd be half price. They're uglier in person than I expected though.

Edit: that suit is pretty bad

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Also, seriously, what kind of white dude wears a black suit with a white shirt? Get some pinstripes or colour in there.

The President of France.

sarkozy-bruni-404_668663c.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Also, seriously, what kind of white dude wears a black suit with a white shirt? Get some pinstripes or colour in there.

The President of France.

sarkozy-bruni-404_668663c.jpg
    My eyes may deceive me, but I believe his shirt's a very pale blue. It's the plain, straight black suit/white shirt combo that white dudes (especially if you have a light complexion) shouldn't wear for business (should've clarified that one). I've seen people argue against this combination because the contrast with the complexion isn't high enough, but for me, it's more the fact that it's common enough to actually be boring. As a result, it can sometimes looks a bit cheap.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're there for business, not looking pretty.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ain't nothing wrong with a sharp black suit and a crisp white shirt. And I'm not sure what the guy being white has to do with it, anyway.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Why do you even post in this thread?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

These guys?
    rdogs.jpg

bluesbrothers2.jpg

Corvus on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How can you argue against a black suit and white shirt? It's like the default.
    So It Goes wrote: »

Why do you even post in this thread?

I have never seen ethugs giving good fashion advice in these threads.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    For some reason some people think it's a faux pas. To me it seems like the male equivalent to the LBD.

moniker on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

These guys?
    rdogs.jpg

bluesbrothers2.jpg

And look how well things turned out for them.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What color shirt and tie should I wear with a black pinstripe suit?

I'm assuming it's okay to wear my black peacoat with black slim fit jeans?

James on
This discussion has been closed.