Options

[Fashion] ver 37.4: the layering. This Time it's Personal!

1555657585961»

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey Will, what do you do with the buttons on your jacket/coat/whatever when you're in the car driving? If I was wearing my suit and sitting at a table or whatever, I'd unbutton the buttons if I were wearing the coat. Do you do that in the car, too?

I'm mainly talking about my leather jacket (four button style), and am just curious what peeps do.

LaOs on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    we dont go to the opera?

I didn't notice anyone at the opera with extra pockets.

The only extra pockets I see are on the shirts and pants that are marketed to skaters and smokers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    we dont go to the opera?

The only extra pockets I see are on the shirts and pants that are marketed to skaters and smokers.

Juggalo Pants

tripp_whitestrap_pants.jpg

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    Hey Will, what do you do with the buttons on your jacket/coat/whatever when you're in the car driving? If I was wearing my suit and sitting at a table or whatever, I'd unbutton the buttons if I were wearing the coat. Do you do that in the car, too?

I'm mainly talking about my leather jacket (four button style), and am just curious what peeps do.

Coat off in the car. Unless you drive a Model-T

mrt144 on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    ...it's a ticket pocket. How have none of you ever heard of it before?

You guys never bitched about the ticket pocket on my TaT suit but then again I have the house cut with an overlapping ticket pocket. This is a TaT suit with conservative cut and obviously non-overlapping ticket pocket.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    we dont go to the opera?

Juggalo Pants
    tripp_whitestrap_pants.jpg

oh my fucking god

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if someone wears shit like that they should just cut themselves

if they don't already

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Coat off in the car. Unless you drive a Model-T

You take off your coat in the winter when you get in to drive your car?

Like this:
    41Z3HY0XTAL.jpg

In the summer, if I'm wearing my blazer out or whatnot, I take it off in the car and put it on when I get out. I was just wondering if the idea was the same for overcoats or heavier coats (in the winter) and whatnot.

LaOs on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick question, with a bit of background.

I do medieval reenactment, and I love cloaks because they both keep you warm and they leave your arms free while covering them.

What kind of coat would you guys recommend that both feels like a cloak and can be worn in the 21st century?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    ...it's a ticket pocket. How have none of you ever heard of it before?

because ticket pockets haven't really been a thing on suits in the US since the age of automobiles

edit: which isn't to say that i completely hate it, actually. the biggest offender on that suit is the bizarre highwater pants. the color looks more charcoal than black in the photo, but that might be the flash.

i like trim cuts, but not when the length is cropped. it just ends up looking like you're wearing a little boy's suit. long and trim does it better IMO

yeah, TaT does that a lot -- there's definitely a preference for pants with no break whatsoever among, like, the SF community right now.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I do medieval reenactment, and I love cloaks because they both keep you warm and they leave your arms free while covering them.

What kind of coat would you guys recommend that both feels like a cloak and can be worn in the 21st century?

I'm not sure what a cloak feels like but I think I will go with the standard recommendation of a pea coat. You should be able to move your arms in just about any jacket/coat.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In the summer, if I'm wearing my blazer out or whatnot, I take it off in the car and put it on when I get out. I was just wondering if the idea was the same for overcoats or heavier coats (in the winter) and whatnot.

For one that leather jacket is ridiculously big on that guy. As for most outerwear I will wear it in the car depending on the temperature. The only time I would ever considering unbuttoning a jacket is if it fit really really tightly and would stretch funny / might damage the buttons. However I don't own any outerwear that is so snug that I have to worry about that.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LaOs, it's your coat and your car and honestly who's judging how you look in there? If it feels weird to have it buttoned when you're driving then unbutton it or take it off.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It was just the closest picture I quickly found of the style of leather coat I was talking about. I was more curious about what people did with their coats, really.

LaOs on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dislike the feeling of a buttoned up coat while driving, so I either unbutton or, more likely, take mine off. But it is a comfort thing, not a fashion thing.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it's a blazer then I typically unbutton it when I sit down. Whether that is a regular chair or the driver's seat isn't really relevant. If it's my topcoat or something else that's relatively long then I'll keep it fastened since it isn't as uncomfortable to sit like that and would be more of a pain. Unless it's warm enough outside where it's loose already then I just leave it open.

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I unbutton my coats when seated mainly because I don't want to damage them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I unbutton my coats when seated mainly because I don't want to damage them.

That. I wear most clothing- including jackets- quite slim and trying to drive in a buttoned up jacket is nigh-impossible.

adytum on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010

i just unbutton my suits when i'm sitting unless it's a double-breasted suit, which stays buttoned.

i've seen some people tote around a hangar and hang their suit jackets when they drive or are in their office.

fuck that though. suits are made to be lived in and worn like clothing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010

a wool overcoat is gonna be your best bet

though in general i would advise against trying to sneak midieval references into your modern attire. i've seen people do things that they think are coy and subtle but really they just end up looking like toolboxes

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We should bring the cloak back, because that shit made sense. Feeling cold? Fold your cloak over yourself. Feeling hot? Open you cloak up.

Now that it's becoming a bit too cold and windy for a sport coat, all I have of use is layering with a hoody or roast in a heavy coat.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We should bring the cloak back, because that shit made sense. Feeling cold? Fold your cloak over yourself. Feeling hot? Open you cloak up.

Now that it's becoming a bit too cold and windy for a sport coat, all I have of use is layering with a hoody or roast in a heavy coat.

sport coat or blazer over a sweater

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I guess I could buy some sweaters...

So you got any suggestions on good looking sweaters?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LaOs, you live in Sask. Keep your coat on :P

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

V-neck merino wool/cotton-cashmere blend in mostly solid colors. Maybe subtle patterns. For instance right now I'm wearing a sweater with a raised cord in an argyle pattern. You notice that it's there, but only just since it blends in. Unlike actual argyle print where you can have orange diamonds on top of grey or something which can be iffy.

Hit up a Marshalls or TJMaxx, though, because the price can get ridiculous.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

i just unbutton my suits when i'm sitting unless it's a double-breasted suit, which stays buttoned.

i've seen some people tote around a hangar and hang their suit jackets when they drive or are in their office.

fuck that though. suits are made to be lived in and worn like clothing.

I can maybe see that for the office since I prefer to work in shirt sleeves and having it draped over a chair for hours at a time probably isn't the best for the shoulders. Driving, though? That's ridiculous.

moniker on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I have a leather car-coat that is my winter coat. I just undo the last button when in the car, or leave it unbuttoned.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited October 2010

quarter-zips and half-zips look awesome over a button-down and tie and under a blazer or sport coat

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only problem I have with sweaters over a button down in the winter is that my office is kept so warm in the winter, I basically wear the sweater for maybe an hour before I have to take it off.

I guess I could go sweater-vest but I'm not sure thats a good look for a guy with my build.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You could wear a cardigan and then just unbutton/unzip it when you get warm.

moniker on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wore a cloak as part of a costume for the first time ever about a year ago (actually pretty much exactly.. it was at an annual event which I'll be going to again next week.. I digress) and I was astonished at how practical it seemed. And comfortable.

Seriously, we need to bring cloaks back. And I'm not just saying that as the guy who's obsessed with period fashion!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    I wore a cloak as part of a costume for the first time ever about a year ago (actually pretty much exactly.. it was at an annual event which I'll be going to again next week.. I digress) and I was astonished at how practical it seemed. And comfortable.

Seriously, we need to bring cloaks back. And I'm not just saying that as the guy who's obsessed with period fashion!

why not try to culturally ease it in with a hybrid garment?
    SnuggieGreen.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I kind of want to report that for awesome.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    James wrote: »
    LaOs, you live in Sask. Keep your coat on :P

:P

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    facetious wrote: »

why not try to culturally ease it in with a hybrid garment?
    SnuggieGreen.jpg

MY thoughts exactly on cloaks.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan bought me an early birthday present of some lovely heeled docs.

So comfortable and pretty :D

IMAG0093.jpg

BobCesca on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    New fashion thread time.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.