As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ready to be locked up at Impel Down it's the [Old One Piece Thread]

• Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really can't believe Oda actually went through with it. Everything was trending that way, but still...

Quentin on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So... not really a One Piece guy, but I've been wondering about the thread title for ages now.
    As you can see, I'm a Street Fighter fan.

Anyone want to clue me in? I wasn't really trying to read a 90 page thread and Google has failed me.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So... not really a One Piece guy, but I've been wondering about the thread title for ages now.

Anyone want to clue me in? I wasn't really trying to read a 90 page thread and Google has failed me.
    A Marine Admiral Punches a Guy through the chest with a fist made out of lava

Arch on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »

A Marine Admiral Punches a Guy through the chest with a fist made out of lava
    And the guy he punches is made out of fire. Join this thrill ride. You won't reget it.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About Ace:
    So when I first read/saw Ace show up, to me he was very much so like
    Poochie from the Simpsons.

poochie.jpg / acesurfbytyfflie.jpg

But unlike Poochie, I'm truly sad to see him go back to his home planet. =(

Camui on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My prediction?
    We're going to get a time skip, only instead of a "Six Months/One Year Later", we're going to find out that the entire series thus far is Luffy's Tragic Flashback, and he's telling the story to someone. He's really the only one without one, because his flashback, while kind of sad, isn't nearly up to par with the rest of the crew's. This man is the captain of a bunch of people that had bad shit happen to them. His should be horribly tragic, and this is it. The death of his brother and his inability to save him.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Camui wrote: »
    About Ace:

Ah, that boat. So damn cool and tailor made for his power. If Oda does some retrospective on Ace I wonder if he will show how he came into possesion of it.

Also, don't think it's been mentioned, but if the marines somehow keep Ace's body do you think Vegapunk will pull a Kuma and cyborg him? This takes into account that Ace doesn't die, but barely hangs on with his "will of D".

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    About Ace:

Ah, that boat. So damn cool and tailor made for his power. If Oda does some retrospective on Ace I wonder if he will show how he came into possesion of it.

Also, don't think it's been mentioned, but if the marines somehow keep Ace's body do you think Vegapunk will pull a Kuma and cyborg him? This takes into account that Ace doesn't die, but barely hangs on with his "will of D".
    Even though they're obviously going to run from here, no fucking way they leave behind Ace's body.

Whitebeard may still stay behind and destroy the island so his body might show up, but Ace? Not a chance.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    About Ace:

Even though they're obviously going to run from here, no fucking way they leave behind Ace's body.

Whitebeard may still stay behind and destroy the island so his body might show up, but Ace? Not a chance.
    Yeah, I think if anything there is more of a chance for his body to be zombized by Moria than frankensteined to a robot.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Saw this over on Arlong Park and thought it was worth copying.
    The hardest part is... what was done to get to this point, luffy was in a "the ends justify the means" mindset since he learned of the execution, but now he didn't acomplish his ends and the means are out there to bite him in the ass:
    - Boa's help, the marines will soon realize all that she did, and go with a buster call to Amazon Lilly, if they don't get her head and her snake right here and now.
    - Impel Down's Breakout leaving 200+ of the criminals who the WG managed to capture free, toping the list of the most dangerous, the one and only Crocodile, magnificent bastard who went out of his way to make Vivi's life hell.
    - The overusing of the drug-wo/man, he's been saying since the first use that there "v'ill be consequences", aparently enlarging your face and changing your gender are the ones that don't have side-effects
    - Blackbeard's Invasion would have been an awfull failure if Luffy wasn't already in Impel Down, they were saved because they allied with Shinryu (or what's his name) who had the antidote, and he wouldn't be there if Magellan wasn't in deep shit with the first break-in.
    - Mr 2's Sacrifice... if he trully died, Luffy will be devastated, again.
    - Akainu's actions wouldn't been needed if Luffy wasn't there, Sengoku's plan would have worked, and the red Dog wouldn't have looked this good, he was the one who realy hurt Whitebeard, both through Squardo and his fist. And that may be the push that leads him to Sengoku's place as the top Dog.
    - If the crew is in any danger right now..

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    - Blackbeard's Invasion would have been an awfull failure if Luffy wasn't already in Impel Down, they were saved because they allied with Shinryu (or what's his name) who had the antidote, and he wouldn't be there if Magellan wasn't in deep shit with the first break-in.
    All according to keikaku.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think some of you fellas might be looking into this a bit too much.

True, a lot of these theories are well-constructed and presented, but this is a Shounen manga; usually it takes a set-up this epic before the main hero shuts down the bar for good.

I don't expect Luffy to win by any means, but he's going to do something to make the WG take notice in this fight. Right now he's been like an ant in a cyclone, and has been extremely lucky at this point. We've seen him take in so many devastating failures ever since the Shabony Arc; having Luffy lose yet again after so many crippling losses would feel like a slap in the face to both the character and series itself.

Luffy is going to pull something epic out of his hat; i'm not saying Deux Ex Machina, but I am suggesting something beyond the scope of reason here. If he goes fucking wild and crazy due to Ace's death, and just unloads on a shit ton of marines, captains and an admiral, i'll be perfectly happy. Doesn't have to win, just make damn sure they remember his name through his actions through this war alone.

Godfather on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

True, a lot of these theories are well-constructed and presented, but this is a Shounen manga; usually it takes a set-up this epic before the main hero shuts down the bar for good.

I don't expect Luffy to win by any means, but he's going to do something to make the WG take notice in this fight. Right now he's been like an ant in a cyclone, and has been extremely lucky at this point. We've seen him take in so many devastating failures ever since the Shabony Arc; having Luffy lose yet again after so many crippling losses would feel like a slap in the face to both the character and series itself.

Luffy is going to pull something epic out of his hat; i'm not saying Deux Ex Machina, but I am suggesting something beyond the scope of reason here. If he goes fucking wild and crazy due to Ace's death, and just unloads on a shit ton of marines, captains and an admiral, i'll be perfectly happy. Doesn't have to win, just make damn sure they remember his name through his actions through this war alone.
    His name is already going to be remembered if for no other reason than that he's the son of Dragon. This is ignoring Impel Down, him rescuing Ace, standing up to Whitebeard and the Admirals, etc. I like how you said it's a slap in the face to the series if he does nothing here, because I think it's the exact opposite. If Luffy manages to fight then Ace died for absolutely no reason as he then should have been able to dodge and the sequence of events that lead to Ace's death shouldn't have happened. I'm going to lose a lot of respect for the character and the series if Ace died because Luffy was to much of a silly goose to move, but somehow manages to fight two seconds later.

khain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    khain wrote: »

His name is already going to be remembered if for no other reason than that he's the son of Dragon. This is ignoring Impel Down, him rescuing Ace, standing up to Whitebeard and the Admirals, etc. I like how you said it's a slap in the face to the series if he does nothing here, because I think it's the exact opposite. If Luffy manages to fight then Ace died for absolutely no reason as he then should have been able to dodge and the sequence of events that lead to Ace's death shouldn't have happened. I'm going to lose a lot of respect for the character and the series if Ace died because Luffy was to much of a silly goose to move, but somehow manages to fight two seconds later.
    I'm expecting one good punch, but it's easily stopped or even ends up hurting Luffy.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

He freed Ace.

That's enough to make him remembered unto itself. Yes, others were involved, but look at the entirety.

He broke into Impel Down. He made it to Floor 4, needed to be taken down by the Warden himself, managed to survive, freed Crocodile and Jimbei, led the jailbreak from Impel Down - something which had never been done before beyond a single individual - prevented Ace's execution from afar via the King's Haki, and freed Ace ("beating" Garp in the process - even if Garp dove and Sengoku suspects it, to the rest of the world that's what he did).

These two arcs have basically been him punching the WG straight in the jaw.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pffft. Everyone will forget Luffy as they'll be too preoccupied with the real mastermind of the breakout.
    Buggy_the_Clown___Impel_Down_by_peachiekeenie.jpg

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's out.
    D:

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    It's out.
    D:
    Chapter 574: The death of Portgas D Ace. I suppose Ace is not going to make it out alive eh.

Peas on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    It's out.
    D:
    Chapter 574: The death of Portgas D Ace. I suppose Ace is not going to make it out alive eh.
    I refuse to believe that means anything but him changing his last name back to his fathers.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think it's even more primal than making the WG take notice. One of the central themes of Shonen power fantasy manga is that emotions matter, on a physical level. Killing someone's best friend/brother/mentor/etc before their very eyes doesn't just enrage them, it unlocks whatever was buried inside them. Another good Dragonball parallel is when Perfect Cell intentionaly pushes Gohan's buttons, going so far as to kill Android 15. And the result wasn't just emotional devastation, but devastation of all the barriers around his true power. I'm not saying that Oda is just copy pasting Dragonball here, but there are common themes to this genre, and Oda not only knows them but loves them greatly. Luffy is going to do something because of Ace's death. The universe of One Piece demands it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe this kind of thing is what made Dragon so un-Luffy-like?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    To be fair we've seen Dragon like twice. We have no idea what he's like.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would be crying right now, but bones don't have tear ducts.

YOHOHOHOHOHOHO.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FCD wrote: »

I think it's even more primal than making the WG take notice. One of the central themes of Shonen power fantasy manga is that emotions matter, on a physical level. Killing someone's best friend/brother/mentor/etc before their very eyes doesn't just enrage them, it unlocks whatever was buried inside them. Another good Dragonball parallel is when Perfect Cell intentionaly pushes Gohan's buttons, going so far as to kill Android 15. And the result wasn't just emotional devastation, but devastation of all the barriers around his true power. I'm not saying that Oda is just copy pasting Dragonball here, but there are common themes to this genre, and Oda not only knows them but loves them greatly. Luffy is going to do something because of Ace's death. The universe of One Piece demands it.

Bingo.

One Piece is, at its heart, classic shounen at its finest. If Luffy didn't pull some sort of power boost shutdown out of this experience I am going to be disappointed.

Godfather on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    True, but you have to assume a few features of a leader of a vast rebel organization.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    True, but you have to assume a few features of a leader of a vast rebel organization.
    Indeed when I think of freedom fighters and their generals a Drag queen with a giant head always comes to mind

King Riptor on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About the latest chapter
    I'm the camp that thinks he'll do one big thing that will let everyone get out, but nothing more. Then I could see a time skip kind of situation, Luffy needs time to recover and it gives time for the crew to get stronger as well before they all get back together.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    It's out.
    D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeR6uYxU50

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I bet the next chapter starts off with a 3-4 spread of just a massive haki scream from luffy, cause thats what he looks like he's doing in those last couple of panels, just with the scream muted for a bit to better let us hear aces last words. and than hopefully after he lets out a massive scream of rage luffy will kick some major ass, than most likely pass out and be either be captured or dragged away by the remnants of WB's pirates.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If Luffy is really shut down for good with no stamina left, I had better see some sort of montage with Franky playing this song in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWhdz5svvQ

Godfather on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn that was a hard hitting chapter...

Based on the previous page, it looks like Luffy is screaming at the top of his lungs on the last page.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    It's out.
    D:

*skywalker*
    While I was reading the past couple of chapters I felt this was the empire strike back of the one piece world.

So much craziness going on then BLAMO!!

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread has hit a new depressing low. Clearly this calls for some crew member nostalgia.

And who better to cheer us up then our favorite doctor-come-reindeer, Chopper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1VDcC_qf2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4S08O4Gx0Q

And one more for good measure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJf3Ru5v4o

It's depressing times like these that I miss the crew. They were always there to help luffy reach his goals when he couldn't make it himself.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm really missing the crew, too. Everything has been knock out, drag out action and drama for nearly 100 chapters now. Sure, we've had Buggy and Mr. 3, and as funny as they are, they aren't the Straw Hats.

Lynx on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone else want
    Garp to just get free of Sengoku and obliterate Akainu?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    About Ace:

This is an incredible relevant spoilerly mashup image

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glad someone else sees it.

Camui on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Manly tears

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have something to say about the recent happenings:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I mean, this is the most interesting thing that has happened recently in One Piece, and it sure sets it apart from animes like Dragon Ball, but.... Did we really want this?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RockinX wrote: »
    I have something to say about the recent happenings:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I mean, this is the most interesting thing that has happened recently in One Piece, and it sure sets it apart from animes like Dragon Ball, but.... Did we really want this?

On some level everyone here has bitched about this. So yes.

King Riptor on
This discussion has been closed.