As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ready to be locked up at Impel Down it's the [Old One Piece Thread]

• Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's not even that. One Piece seems to have a rule that all named characters are immune to death outside of a flashback.
    That rule is now gone. Ace may not have been an often seen character, but he was popular, the main character's brother, and was the son of the Pirate King. Just because he wasn't often seen doesn't mean he wasn't important. Ace dying is a game changer, both for Luffy and for the series as a whole. No one is safe anymore, except perhaps Luffy.

Lynx on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lynx wrote: »
    It's not even that. One Piece seems to have a rule that all named characters are immune to death outside of a flashback.
    That rule is now gone. Ace may not have been an often seen character, but he was popular, the main character's brother, and was the son of the Pirate King. Just because he wasn't often seen doesn't mean he wasn't important. Ace dying is a game changer, both for Luffy and for the series as a whole. No one is safe anymore, except perhaps Luffy.
    You know I actually like that the rule is gone, It makes for more suspense. Now I can't say to myself "Oh it's not a flashback, he'll be fine with a few bandages" for any character after a big fight.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New episode tomorrow+the boring part of Alabasta. Can't wait.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Foomy wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    You know I actually like that the rule is gone, It makes for more suspense. Now I can't say to myself "Oh it's not a flashback, he'll be fine with a few bandages" for any character after a big fight.

I am, too. It's going to make the New World half of the manga that much more interesting.

Lynx on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This has to be the best representation of what we know about one piece's world I ever seen. 574 Chapters in, still at half way point. **Huge map**
    1266015731440.jpg

Camui on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Red Line is too wide, comparatively, I think. There's supposed to be even more ocean to land ratio from what I understand.

It also needs to be bigger because I'd like to be able to tell what those specific destinations are supposed to be, exactly.

Schide on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wonder if anyone's ever gone to the top of Reverse Mountain and bailed the fuck out to see what was on top of The Red Line.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think there is also meant to be many many more islands in the Grand Line - enough so that all the other Supernovas can have completely seperate and yet awesome and notorious adventures.

The red line is meant to be that wide though according to in-manga maps:
    WorldMap6.jpg

Heh, the first page of GIS results for 'One Piece Maps' include both the previous threads here...

Dis' on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Wonder if anyone's ever gone to the top of Reverse Mountain and bailed the fuck out to see what was on top of The Red Line.

Or tries to climb down and take the short rout to the end.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dis' wrote: »
    I think there is also meant to be many many more islands in the Grand Line - enough so that all the other Supernovas can have completely seperate and yet awesome and notorious adventures.

The red line is meant to be that wide though according to in-manga maps:
    WorldMap6.jpg

Heh, the first page of GIS results for 'One Piece Maps' include both the previous threads here...

yea, there was a great map of it when the crew meets up Crocus to get their log pose. I believe he said that the log poses start off tuning itself to one of 7 or 8 magnetic fields (aka starting points) then it goes from there. Then everything funnels to shanbody since everyone needs their ship to get coated for the underwater stuff.

I'm pretty sure Crocus explained it and it was brought up again once the crew got to Shanbody.

edit: Let's this sexy older lady explain it.
    Grand_line.jpg

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One thing I just realized is that unless there is something else other than the Calm Belts guarding Raftel the Marines have probably been there already.

There probably is something else mind you, but and interesting thought nonetheless.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That picture makes me wonder why the fuck isn't there a Sid Meier's One Piece!

Couscous on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One thing I just realized is that unless there is something else other than the Calm Belts guarding Raftel the Marines have probably been there already.

There probably is something else mind you, but and interesting thought nonetheless.

Probably, but I think all the strong pirate crews keep the marines out of all the New World parts of the Grand Line anyway. And Raftel is probably much harder to find than that map implies.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I imagine you'd need a log pose to settle on it first, and maybe couldn't do that from outside the grand line. Of course I bet the new world gets pretty crazy at the end.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Probably, but I think all the strong pirate crews keep the marines out of all the New World parts of the Grand Line anyway. And Raftel is probably much harder to find than that map implies.

You're forgetting that the Marines can literally just run right along the calm belt and completely dodge the 4 Warlords. I could buy the really hard to find excuse though. Marines are definitely in the New World though as Garp's old tales proved.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

You're forgetting that the Marines can literally just run right along the calm belt and completely dodge the 4 Warlords. I could buy the really hard to find excuse though. Marines are definitely in the New World though as Garp's old tales proved.

No, I didn't forget that. But passing through the calm belts wouldn't help since they have to enter the Grand Line to reach Raftel eventually, and by all accounts there's pirate crews all over the place. I'm kind've envisioning pirate fleets blockading off areas of the Grand Line around the calm belts to keep marine forces from passing through into the New World, especially around the Raftel areas. As if pirate crews haven't found the island yet and they're keeping the marines from searching too. I could be wrong of course.

Yougottawanna might be on to something, since no one else has found Raftel there probably aren't any Eternal Poses from there.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'd expect the red line to be smaller, the oceans to be larger, and the islands to be way more numerous. There's supposed to be like what, 170 different countries in the world government? And I'd expect most of them to be on islands.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm thinking the land masses are just enlarged on the map to make them more visible. It is based on that little globe view in the corner that was in that scan posted below, but from that globe you can tell that the Red Line is thinner in relation to the oceans that in the big map picture. That seems fair.

That also goes for not showing every single island because there's just no point because it would make the thing too cluttered, and most of them would be too small to accurately depict on a world map anyway.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    New episode was pretty good. Business is about to pick up methinks.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No, I didn't forget that. But passing through the calm belts wouldn't help since they have to enter the Grand Line to reach Raftel eventually, and by all accounts there's pirate crews all over the place. I'm kind've envisioning pirate fleets blockading off areas of the Grand Line around the calm belts to keep marine forces from passing through into the New World, especially around the Raftel areas. As if pirate crews haven't found the island yet and they're keeping the marines from searching too. I could be wrong of course.

Yougottawanna might be on to something, since no one else has found Raftel there probably aren't any Eternal Poses from there.

You can't blockade an entire ocean and the WG has people that can crush anyone but the best of the pirates and then fight them on even ground. I would guess that there is something else behind Raftel, because it really doesn't make sense that WB or someone else didn't find it after Roger if it's just hidden like a normal island since the worst case you can just use two eternal poses and search for that it with that.

khain on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1266130545935.jpg

Camui on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy shit Camui

Godfather on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I guess we should have expected that from someone with the Comedy/Tragedy symbols.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've finally reached the point where I'm out of other material to watch, so I'm going to start watching the OP movies from the start next week...I'm a bit scared! Anime movies usually suck!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really liked 2, 4, and 6.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    spoilers need to hurry hurry hurry up

Sami on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Image that is current chapter relevant, so spoilers.
    mouthofmadness.jpg

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ohhh, internet. Is there any brutal sadness you can't turn into a wacky meme?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FCD wrote: »
    Ohhh, internet. Is there any brutal sadness you can't turn into a wacky meme?

Is it wrong that I laughed really loud just after seeing that?

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What, nobody made a Pacman version yet?

Couscous on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    What, nobody made a Pacman version yet?

It must have Perona's ghosts and devil fruit and rumble balls.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Totally unconfirmed spoilers, found on SomethingAwful forums.
    For serious.
    Chapter 575: Anger without words
    Luffy is at a loss, Akainu takes the chance to attack him, but Marco blocks him.
    Whitebeard, who was observing the situation, attacks him without saying a word.
    Akainu fights back, but is taken down with two attacks. The second punch sends damage to the entire HQ, and not just Akainu.
    Blackbeard pirates, who appears to have been observing the whole deal, appears with three legendary prisoners + Shiryu + another character.
    Blackbeard: I'm glad I made it in time to see your death, pops.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Look, all I'm saying is this:
    Ace's thing is fire, right? And there's a guy with the phoenix phoenix fruit right there...

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Don't think it's likely. Oda's apparently on the record as being against character resurrection.
    Weekly Playboy Oda Eiichiro interview
    2007 Playboy issue 31

Interviewer = I
    Oda = O

I: It's one of the defining characteristcs of One Piece that the protagonists don't die, and they don't kill their opponents either. In other words, people don't come back to life. How come you don't use the character revival plots like other manga?

O: Well, it's unnatural for people to come back to life, don't you think? (laughs) I don't like that type of stereotypical fantasy. That's why I want to have reasons for whatever happens in the manga, but if I have to resort to bringing someone back to life, it's better not to kill them in the first place. That's why my characters don't die, even when they're on the verge of death.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Totally unconfirmed spoilers, found on SomethingAwful forums.
    For serious.
    Chapter 575: Anger without words
    Luffy is at a loss, Akainu takes the chance to attack him, but Marco blocks him.
    Whitebeard, who was observing the situation, attacks him without saying a word.
    Akainu fights back, but is taken down with two attacks. The second punch sends damage to the entire HQ, and not just Akainu.
    Blackbeard pirates, who appears to have been observing the whole deal, appears with three legendary prisoners + Shiryu + another character.
    Blackbeard: I'm glad I made it in time to see your death, pops.

Those are theoretically from Apprentice, who's the guy who posted the last bunch of accurate ones.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I pretty much saw this one coming. I bet a lot of you did too. He was too damn close to not get involved.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This arc is going to fucking KILL me when it gets animated.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also, just to sum up what Blackbeard's done, and I'm totally stealing/paraphrasing this from someone else's summary.

Joined Whitebeard's crew to betray them, kill a crewmate and get the exact Devil Fruit he wanted. Gathered a partial crew and captured Ace to become a Schichibukai, then used that status to get access to Impel Down and gathered the rest of his crew from the legendary pirates incarcerated there, including former jailer Shiryuu.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm watching episode 100 right now
    Good lord baby Carue is adorable.

Xenogears of Bore on
This discussion has been closed.