Options

[Asheron's Call] Nov. 2, 1999 -- Jan. 31, 2017

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I did as well, but whatever they did back then was waaaaaaaaaay different than now.

The servers needed to run it back then were probably middle of the line at least. Nowadays you could probably run it on something straight out of the ally flea market.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I know there was a reverse engineered emulator out there and I could run a 5 man server on a Pentium 3 with half a gig of ram so...

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It really makes me sad the private server thing hadn't come to fruition. I think that would be fun to mess around with.

• Options
    maybe it will? Who knows, I'd be happy to help run a server should the conditions arise.

• Options
    It will come, but it might take a long time. It seems like based on the stuff I was wondering before they are likely getting it together entirely in their free time. That would tend to make things take awhile, especially if it is not going smoothly at all.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Worlds have reopened finally!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think the private server thing is being worked on by a very small group of people (or just Sev) when time allows.

His last post on the matter, on 8/18:
    Sorry for the delay, my AC sprints have been taken up by dealing with exploits and preparing the servers to move to newer operating system versions in preparation for the move to a new datacenter. There are old reporting systems that needed to be fixed for that to happen to keep AC running.

The gls server stuff is done, I need to package the data and write a ton of instructional stuff.

Sev~

• Options
    I wonder if you could run a small 50-100 person server on a raspberry pi...

• Options
    WarlogicWarlogic Registered User new member
    edited September 2015
    I've been following this thread while bored at work, reading about you guys leveling up and was cracking up haha. I missed this game and had to resub a couple of months ago. My main is spec HW/MagicD/MeleeD/Lore/Shield/Life with trained critter, item, mana C and dirty fighting. I know life is rough on melee for a while, but I will be the first to tell you that HW/shield without summoning is perfectly viable end game. I solo Deewains, Tou-Tou, Snowy Valley and Hoshino kill tasks regularly with no problem. Starting to solo Viridian Rise also now, which if you haven't encountered VR, that's probably a good thing. If Hoshino's is Tier 8, VR is basically Tier 9 or 10 (or 11...) in difficulty lol. Anyway, could provide some good information for your HW toon, so if you have any questions or want advice on something just let me know.

Oh, forgot to mention I play on Frostfell.

Warlogic on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    For those still keeping score at home:

-As of 12/21, private server development is "on hold" per Sev
    -The main servers are suffering from crippling lag & performance issues (which is the reason anything else is on hold)
    -From a quick glance at the forums I think some of the issues (if not all) are due to exploits being used by players. There might be some other causes though, I haven't gone through everything.

At this point I'm just logging in every now and then to keep my house active until they get everything sorted out.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    For those still keeping score at home:

-As of 12/21, private server development is "on hold" per Sev
    -The main servers are suffering from crippling lag & performance issues (which is the reason anything else is on hold)
    -From a quick glance at the forums I think some of the issues (if not all) are due to exploits being used by players. There might be some other causes though, I haven't gone through everything.

At this point I'm just logging in every now and then to keep my house active until they get everything sorted out.

I believe there was an issue on Darktide going back some months where this was the cause, but I just can't see it happening on the other servers.

• Options
    You're probably right at this point. I haven't been on in a few days but frequent disconnects seem to be the issue right now.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure AC has ever had a period quite this bad. Repeated disconnects, login failures, etc - and the guys still running the show have been unable to find a fix so far.

"The Asheron's Call game worlds have reopened. As part of today's work, we have added more CPU and RAM to all of the worlds. We continue to work to investigate and resolve issues seen in recent weeks, but hope this will cause some improvement to your game experience." -Cordovan, 1/26/16

"We are well aware of people's understandable frustration with the current state of the game worlds. We are continuing to look into ways to resolve this issue, but unfortunately have nothing further to announce at this time. When we have more information, we will let you know immediately." -Cordovan, 1/28/16

I'm glad they're still trying. I've never really been worried that they'd pull the plug on AC (not that I expect it to run forever, of course), and I don't think this will be the time or the way AC finally ends. It isn't helping matters though.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    If they do end the game though, it would be much more likely they move along with the release of player run servers. Since you know, there will be nothing else to do.

Personally, I think that would be for the better. It sounds like there are people taking advantage of the games situation and possibly doing some shady shit in the background.

• Options
    Just to continue with my occasional check-ins on this thread - looks like things are mostly back to normal, with one exception.

From what I'm reading on reddit and other places, the exploits on Darktide were so bad it actually killed the server (sort of).

Most of DT's population has abandoned ship and moved to VT, where they've started fresh as reds on a white server.

• Options
    There's something deliciously appropriate about Darktide eating itself.

• Options
    That is absolutely hilarious.

Still my favorite game, if the future of it was more certain, I'd be glad to put my time in it again.

• Options
    Sad to say it looks like the exploiters that killed DT have also moved to VT and are duping items / crashing the server on a constant basis.

• Options
    So basically people are trying to kill the game, because they can't possibly think they are gaining anything from it at this point?

Like hey guys lets get an advantage on a server but kill it and lose that advantage in the process, what could go wrong?

• Options
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/07/rumor-more-layoffs-for-turbine/

Warner Bros. PR has issued the following statement to Massively OP:

“Turbine is transitioning into a free-to-play, mobile development studio, and as a result we are eliminating some positions. The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons online games will continue to operate as they do now. Re-focusing and reducing the studio size was a difficult decision for the company, and we are grateful to all of the Turbine staff for their considerable contributions.”

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Worst news ever. Mobile gaming is really destroying some of my favorite things! Making AC3 seem very unlikely =-(

• Options
    vamen wrote: »
    Worst news ever. Mobile gaming is really destroying some of my favorite things! Making AC3 seem very unlikely =-(

AC3 has seemed unlikely for years. But man... that's awful news. :(

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Yea... but I still has a sliver of hope deep in my heart =p.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Yea... but I still has a sliver of hope deep in my heart =p.

You never know. WB might be prepared to sell the game license/assets after Turbine's gone mobile, and someone else can carry the torch.

On a related note, is there an app (or more likely, decal plugin) that fully catalogs everything about a character? Just in case we get private servers going and it's possible to restore them.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I just came here to say that AC was and is the best.

I have no other contribution than that.

• Options
    So... that means the game is going to be gone forever?

I wonder if anyone attempted to make their own server without the help of the people working on making it available? It would be downright stupid if they were that close to allowing the game to live on forever only for it to completely disappear.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    So... that means the game is going to be gone forever?

I wonder if anyone attempted to make their own server without the help of the people working on making it available? It would be downright stupid if they were that close to allowing the game to live on forever only for it to completely disappear.

As far as I can tell there's been no official word on what's going to happen to AC.

• Options
    In fact, it has been almost a month since anyone from Turbine has posted on the AC forum at all.

So right now nobody really knows what's going to happen. The official announcement from WB only referenced DDO/LotRO.

• Options
    I kind of figured it was process of elimination.

Like they assure those are fine, because the rest are basically non existent to them.

• Options
    Such a bummer.

• Options
    Art At this point, wasn't AC just running on one guy's downtime?

• Options
    Art At this point, wasn't AC just running on one guy's downtime?

Yeah, it is (was?) pretty much just one dude sorta kinda working on it in his spare time. In terms of actual regular maintenance (scheduled reboots), though, I think the servers basically run themselves.

• Options
    It's just been the saddest story. From the beginning AC has been the underdog, and now it will just fade away in an inglorious death.

Even UO, the other best MMO ever, is still alive and well supported. The emulated seen is amazing, and almost more supported and populated.

• Options
    AC has never had a big emulation scene, but I don't think that's because it was the underdog. People have been trying for ages, but it sounds like the servers have been such a mess that it hasn't really been easy to figure out.

• Options
    Yeah, I always heard that the code was so overwhelmingly confusing (especially after the original devs left) that it really limited what the later AC devs could do. Just based on what little I've heard over the years it seemed like server hosting was a huge undertaking compared to some other MMO's.

• Options
    Well, pour one out for the homies I guess :/

• Options
    jxst67k6d07p.jpg

Well, that's something I suppose.

• Options
    No dev posts since that last one. Item duping and RMT happening pretty much on all servers now.

Welcome to the wasteland.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    citizen059 wrote: »
    No dev posts since that last one. Item duping and RMT happening pretty much on all servers now.

Welcome to the wasteland.

There's a tradebot on FF that's only selling things for dollars.

edit: been revisiting my toon on Darktide for the first time since 2012, which is also my first login to actually play the game (i.e. not just to pay rent) for at least a year.

I'm always amazed by just how much stuff there is to do/get/kill in this game.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    h77ygepypz5e.png

RIP AC.