As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 2: Electric Goddamn Boogaloo

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I finally finished Uncharted 2

Yeah those blue guys are garbage

But other than that, satisfying ending. Also hilarious

It's shit like that that's missing from games these days. And it's because they mocap the voice actors and they improv and adlib and shit. I've always thought games should do that, and now they are. It's fantastic

Clowns?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CpgnitionCpgnition Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Strange thing is that I'm still willing to admit that this was the game of the year. Everyone raves about the train level, but I'd be more than able to argue that the game's first half is the best paced game of the decade.

I agree. I impulse-purchased this game based on the buzz, and I was pretty blown away. I beat it in two days and enjoyed almost every minute of it -- the first half was pure awesome, and the second half had a few parts that I thought were harder than they needed to be in this sort of game. Having to retry a section 15 times doesn't help with the flow.

The beginning section though, I felt like I was playing through a movie. I felt like I actually cared about the character interaction in this game, whereas lately (the last couple years) I've felt like I've been becoming more of a philistine because I felt like skipping cutscenes.

And yeah, the train section was fun, but I didn't think it was "the" best part.

Cpgnition on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's shit like that that's missing from games these days. And it's because they mocap the voice actors and they improv and adlib and shit. I've always thought games should do that, and now they are. It's fantastic

Clowns?

I hate clowns

Oh yeah, that reminds me - Drake's journal? Totally awesome part of the game that no one remembers to talk about

I love how half of the pages are these detailed sketches of things important to his treasure hunting and the rest are doodles or photos or phone numbers for chicks

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Clowns?

I hate clowns

Oh yeah, that reminds me - Drake's journal? Totally awesome part of the game that no one remembers to talk about

I love how half of the pages are these detailed sketches of things important to his treasure hunting and the rest are doodles or photos or phone numbers for chicks

The many faces of Victor Sullivan

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cpgnition wrote: »
    I agree. I impulse-purchased this game based on the buzz, and I was pretty blown away. I beat it in two days and enjoyed almost every minute of it -- the first half was pure awesome, and the second half had a few parts that I thought were harder than they needed to be in this sort of game. Having to retry a section 15 times doesn't help with the flow.

This is what I'm saying - if you're gonna have a game focused on the story and the experience of playing it, you have to be absolutely sure not to break the flow, or else the whole thing sort of collapses in on itself

Uncharted 1 was super-guilty of this, being fine half of the time and eye gougingly difficult or tedious the rest of the time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cpgnition wrote: »

This is what I'm saying - if you're gonna have a game focused on the story and the experience of playing it, you have to be absolutely sure not to break the flow, or else the whole thing sort of collapses in on itself

Uncharted 1 was super-guilty of this, being fine half of the time and eye gougingly difficult or tedious the rest of the time

I felt that a lot of the difficulty in Uncharted 2 was based more on making a, for lack of a better word, big mistake for a section. If you ran out in the open and everyone had big guns, you were probably going to die. If a tank is shooting at you, you need to run until you get to cover -- but if you don't know where cover is, you're also probably going to die. If a helicopter is shooting at you and you don't realize you have to shoot the missiles down, you're gonna die. On the 2nd playthrough, though, you're aware of the more intricate sets and where it's best to run and shoot.

I think that's less the case in Uncharted 1, where there's more waves of enemies meant to flush you out (and which subsequently means there's more opportunity for crossfire). There's one fight towards the end of Uncharted where it took me like 20 tries to get through because I would try to adapt to what the enemy was doing and they'd kill me in a new way. It was frustrating but it was also nice to see that I wasn't just dying to the same "trap" over and over again -- the enemies were moving in new ways and I'd have to play the whole bit on the fly rather than just hide in a cubby somewhere and shoot people. But those sections don't really get easier once you know how to do them, because of that, which does slow down the story, I agree.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gotta say, I agree. I played Uncharted 2 on Normal first. I died a hell of a lot. Then I played it on hard, and you'd think that since I played it on a more difficult level, I'd die a lot more, right? Wrong, I looked at my stats, I actually died LESS in that playthrough then more first. Reason being, is that during all the sections that killed me in my first play through, the couple tries it took me to get through them stuck in my brain, and I was able to breeze through them with ease the second time around.

Now, a few sections still gave me a bit of trouble. A couple of the fights near the end of the game (The Monastary Level and beyond) gave me a huge amount of grief, and nothing I seemed to do worked. But I still got through them with a minimum amount of deaths. They just took a long time of me in cover, popping out, firing a few shots, getting shot 10 times so my screen looks like a silent movie, back into cover, rinse repeat.
    The fight that gave me the most trouble was by far in the courtyard, where the entrance to shambhala is. (When he asks what they are shooting at, and you jump down a platform and its all the yeti... guardian... things.) For the main reason of that those fucking shotgun dudes in the assault armor don't fucking die, and theres three of them. Alongside a guy with a grenade launcher, a guy with a goddamn rpg, and about 5 regular guys. Took me forever.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm playing through crushing now, and I'm near the end of the Nepal chapter, and it's definitely tough. I had to get used to the 2-3 shot kill, so I find myself using the blindfire more often than in previous playthroughs.

I only really start to freak out when I see heavily armored shotgun assholes.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hate them more with M4's, if they have M4's, them bitches are accurate.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, I think armored guys in general are just assholes.

Nate pretty much says what I want to say if I head shot those fuckers; "Yeah, how does that feel."

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really think we need to get the multiplayer on this thing going again. I never did get a chance to play much of the new map, since PA people weren't on, and I was a bit busy at that time. So, who wants to make a night for PA people? How about later tonight?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nathan Drake has the best comments and reactions of any video game character

Like if he grabs a dude and flings him off a ledge - "see you later. jackass"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really think we need to get the multiplayer on this thing going again. I never did get a chance to play much of the new map, since PA people weren't on, and I was a bit busy at that time. So, who wants to make a night for PA people? How about later tonight?

I'd be okay with this I think

It's hard for me to tell when I'll have a free night, but I'd really like to try and play with some genuine PA people for once

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'd be okay with this I think

It's hard for me to tell when I'll have a free night, but I'd really like to try and play with some genuine PA people for once

I personally have only been working 6 to 2 shifts (central) nowadays, so barring the fact that some nights I have to pick my fiancee up at 9 I'm free after that. Let's try and get a game going tonight though. It's Sunday so we should be able to get at least the amount we need for a party on. What time's good?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Depends on what time. I got school tomorrow, first day back from winter break :(

I'd say... 8 PM EST is good for me.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd be up for that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A friend of mine finally picked this game up so I've been playing online again. Was feeling awful lonely in the chat room though.

Hopefully I'll be back on later tonight to meet up.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I... Honestly have no clue what you mean by chatroom, but my psn names on the list, its the latest addition, I'm getting on in a bit, feel free to start a party, or whatever.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mifio wrote: »
    I... Honestly have no clue what you mean by chatroom, but my psn names on the list, its the latest addition, I'm getting on in a bit, feel free to start a party, or whatever.

There was a persistent PSN chatroom that we used to meet up and discuss things and also to regroup if someone dropped.

I'm on now, so others should really get on and get in a party so we can kill some non-PA duders.

Hah, apparently some other clan has the tag [wang]. Some dude named Deception had it and he was harassing me to change it. I laughed.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No one will take our [WANG] away from us. And I have my clan tag spelled thusly: WANG

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I should Wangify. My poor SgtMifio has no clan.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, that was pretty fun, and I had a pretty good k:d ratio despite not playing it for like 2 months and that my internet was lagging like hell since I forgot to pause my steam download for most of it. Those last two games were great. Me 'n Mifio faced the same group of level 45+ with randoms and our teams for both never had anyone above 30, I think, and we shut them out 5 captures to 0 both times.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Are you guys partying up or just going in randomly? My router doesn't seem to allow UPnP so I can't party up with my friend and I assume I wouldn't be able to party up with you guys.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    We were partied up, but we're done now, unfortunately. We should keep getting games thoughout the week. The game's too damned fun to have the PA community for it die this quickly.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. I say we take a more proactive role. Tomorrow I'll see about setting another time. Probably after 6:00 pm EST. I'm not sure though.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MP in this game is fun, but I've given up on it. Between taking more than a minute just to load the MP mode and dropping mid game every few games, it's more hassle than it's worth. It may just be my PS3, but I didn't have any of these problems with the MAG or BC2 demos, so...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its probably your PS3 then, or your disc, because I never have those problems.

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Could be your connection as well?

Shens on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I played the demo of Uncharted 1 when it came out and it didn't grab me, plus I had a bunch of other games to play and skipped it.

My wife bought me part 1 and 2 for Christmas this year, and we blew through part 1 and are now about halfway through 2, and I must say I haven't been this glad to be wrong about something in a long time. These games are amazing, especially the sequel.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got stuck midway through Uncharted 1 (I think it was a common problem spot, this big wet room with pillars and approximately double entire population of Indonesia gunning for me). I picked it up nearly a year later and blew through it and it was glorious.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, the water room. A source of frustration for many.

I must be one of the minority that played the (original) Uncharted demo and couldn't wait to get his hands on the full game.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AKA the blue room.

The next chokepoint is the big gold room with the hidden sniper rifle that makes it a cakewalk but only IF YOU ALREADY KNOW WHERE IT IS.

edit: What's in the UC1 demo? What level?

My frustration in that game is that the rooms would be empty until you walked into them and caused the enemies to spawn, completely ruining any strategies you may have wanted to use to give yourself an advantage. You are basically forced to fly by the seat of your pants, especially since you can't sneak into a room. You walk in, everyone who was facing away turns and shoots.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the demo was chapter 6, right after the plane incident.

adytum on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The two real cockblocks for me in UC1 were the water room and the church (the part where sully is with you).

Took me about umptimillion tries to get them on crushing.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't have a PS3 so never got a chance to play this, but convinced my friend to rent it and watched him.

WE couldnt' stop laughing at the part at the museum:

"There's a guy above you! There's a guy above you!"

*pulls guy off ledge*
    "There's a guy below you. There's a guy below you."

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't have a PS3 so never got a chance to play this, but convinced my friend to rent it and watched him.

WE couldnt' stop laughing at the part at the museum:

"There's a guy above you! There's a guy above you!"

*pulls guy off ledge*
    "There's a guy below you. There's a guy below you."

There was a part in the Monestary by the big statue outside...where there are a shitload of heavy armored dudes with shotguns and grenade launchers.

I was on my 2nd playthrough so i decided to try something different. I jumped down to the area on side the big statue and ran around to the back of it. Then hopped over the rail and ledge hung. Then tagged one of the guys with a pistol round. They all ran over, but i was shimmying along the ledge so they couldnt quite see me. They kept milling around and sometimes taking shots at my hands which usually missed....and I would just wait until one came close enough to do a grab and toss off the ledge move. Got like 6 of them before I got bored jumped over and killed the last 2 :)

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nooooo dont let the thread die! We must continue playing UC2!

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So last year.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Confirming the mind blowingly obvious, Nolan North let slip that Uncharted 3 is going to start production this year. Guess Jak 4 will have to wait.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if the staff at naughty dog did nothing but work on uncharted games for the rest of their unnaturally prolonged lives, i'd be a happy man

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg