As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On!] JRPG'S!

The Cow KingThe Cow King a islandRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
So as the title says I'm looking for a JRPG. I'm not going to lie to you guys but its for Secret Santa at my work. 15$ is the minimum and the guy I picked is a pretty kick ass manager I work with who loves JRPG's.

You might all call me lazy but I was at EB looking and I don't want to get some shitty one and make him hate me forever I want to do a little research and this is seriously the best idea I have for secret santa. My plan was to get Lost Odyssey but it was 45$.

He has a PS3, 360, and a DS. PC isn't a option and he has every Sqaure Enix game ever I believe. And was talking about how he wanted a good old fashioned JRPG. I'm all out of ideas and JRPG's arn't really my thing any more so I well don't know whats good and bad.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

icGJy2C.png
The Cow King on

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If he doesn't already have the Chrono Trigger DS remake, that's a very viable option. It's certainly good old fashioned since it's a pretty unchanged port. (Minus the pretty terrible new additions that are completely optional) I believe it's $20 standard now.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    If he doesn't already have the Chrono Trigger DS remake, that's a very viable option. It's certainly good old fashioned since it's a pretty unchanged port. (Minus the pretty terrible new additions that are completely optional) I believe it's $20 standard now.

Yeah hes got that I kind of messed up the OP by all final fantasy I meant all Sqaure Enix JRPG's.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tales of Vesperia can be had for cheap on Amazon.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tales of Vesperia can be had for cheap on Amazon.

Is there word on a localization for PS3 for this? I want to play it so bad but I don't have a 360, only a PS3.

Esh on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you don't mind getting two games, get him as a "joke" addendum to the main gift "The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road" for DS. It's actually a fairly old-school style RPG and it's harder than you'd think. It's also more fun than you'd think when you aren't frustrated at your inability to heal yourself half the time.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For 360, if you're looking for an old school, turn based JRPG Blue Dragon might be worth a shot. You can find it fairly cheap now (probably sub 20 bucks). Tales of Vesperia might be worth looking into as well, but it's action based. I think it's also dropped in price.

For PS3, it's kind of slim pickings at cheap prices. You may be able to find Valkyria Chronicles at a cheap enough price, but maybe not. It's also not really a traditional old school JRPG, so...

As for DS, Etrian Odyssey II and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor are worth a look.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blue Dragon.

It's basically Final Fantasy 5+

edit: It's below your minimum on Amazon (11.49 new) so you could pick up an XBox Live point card for him, too, so he can get the DLC for the game, too.

Edit again: Amazon has Lost Odyssey for 27.98 so you could go with that instead.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Blue Dragon.

It's basically Final Fantasy 5+

edit: It's below your minimum on Amazon (11.49 new) so you could pick up an XBox Live point card for him, too, so he can get the DLC for the game, too.

Edit again: Amazon has Lost Odyssey for 27.98 so you could go with that instead.

Is Blue Dragon any good? I saw it at EB for 15$ but I was unsure and unless its Amazon.ca your looking at the prices will vary wildly. Aka Tales of Vesperia being 50$ :|.

Since my brother works beside a EB I'm sending him over to see what they have so I'm making a list right now as we speak. And for the internet the party is next week and I was given very short notice so I'm not sure if I can do the internet this time around.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

EDIT: Lost Odyssey for 19$-22$ all shipping from my province I might be able to pull it off.

So next question is it good? I forgot to mention his PS3 is backwards compatible because hes a dick like that :p.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    By all Square Enix RPGs are you including The World Ends With You?

Because if not, there is no point in adding any other suggestions to this thread

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blue Dragon is incredibly good, if you (well, your boss, but you know what I mean) are able to accept a light-hearted, fairly cliche story. Great gameplay, really fun class system, and the best boss music ever.

The World Ends With You is phenomenal, josh, but I definitely wouldn't classify it under the "good old fashioned JRPG" heading.

Edit: Lost Odyssey is also great. I honestly couldn't tell you which I liked more. I liked the gameplay in Blue Dragon more, but the writing/plot in LO. Basically it comes down to "Does he prefer Final Fantasy I-V or VI-X?"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2009
    So next question is it good? I forgot to mention his PS3 is backwards compatible because hes a dick like that :p.

I would then suggest Persona 4. I see it for 30 on Amazon.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mora1mora1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    You may be able to find Valkyria Chronicles at a cheap enough price, but maybe not. It's also not really a traditional old school JRPG, so...

Gamestop is selling Valkyria Chronicles for 20 bucks new. I picked up a copy of it today.

mora1 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The World Ends With You is phenomenal, josh, but I definitely wouldn't classify it under the "good old fashioned JRPG" heading.

Yeah sorry I missed the good old fashioned in the OP

If the only requirement was JRPG though the thread would be over

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blue Dragon is incredibly good, if you (well, your boss, but you know what I mean) are able to accept a light-hearted, fairly cliche story. Great gameplay, really fun class system, and the best boss music ever.

Edit: Lost Odyssey is also great. I honestly couldn't tell you which I liked more. I liked the gameplay in Blue Dragon more, but the writing/plot in LO. Basically it comes down to "Does he prefer Final Fantasy I-V or VI-X?"

Thanks a lot guys I work with him tomorrow all morning so I'll try and weasle info out of it and base it off what you have all suggested.

This would be a lot easier if I had found Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga earlier in the year cause then I could have just given it to him :P.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Suikoden Teirkreis for the DS is a pretty good standard JRPG.

dclee on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dclee wrote: »
    Suikoden Teirkreis for the DS is a pretty good standard JRPG.
    I would recommend it if there was no voice acting, or if there was a way to turn it off. Why was that guy talking way too fast?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dragon Quest IV on the DS is very old-fashioned, and a lot of fun. You can get it for under $30 around here, not sure what it would go for in Canada.

Norfair on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I heard Air Tonelico is ridiculously perverted but awesome.

MAXIMUM PENATRATION!!!11

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Demon's Souls. It's an RPG, and it's from Japan, but nobody thinks of Demon's Souls when they say JRPG.

Valkyria Chronicles. You either love it or you hate it, but I don't know anyone who's indifferent to it.

Tales of Vesperia. (only available on the 360 in NA, at the moment. The PS3 version is supposed to be stuffed to the gills with extra stuff, but alas - no localization yet.)

Chrono Trigger DS. It's Chrono Trigger - but on the DS.

Persona 3: Fes, Persona 4 - but those're PS2 titles.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was going to say Demon's Souls but it's definitely not a traditional JRPG as stipulated in the OP

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's also a bit out of the OP's price range.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nostalgia on the DS is also pretty old-school-ish.

Catshade on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Catshade wrote: »

Is there a thread for Nostalgia anywhere? I was looking for a place to complain about getting one-shotted in the air battles the other day and couldn't find one. Also, you'd be surprised how often we use that word on these forums.

On topic - Tales of Vesperia. Best JRPG in a long time (ever?) for me.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »

Is there a thread for Nostalgia anywhere? I was looking for a place to complain about getting one-shotted in the air battles the other day and couldn't find one. Also, you'd be surprised how often we use that word on these forums.

Is Nostalgia any good?

It looked interesting, and I loved Skies of Arcadia, but I was looking at the characters and plot and, well, it seems like "cliche" would be kind.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Persona 4 is a pretty good choice to go with.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »

Is Nostalgia any good?

It looked interesting, and I loved Skies of Arcadia, but I was looking at the characters and plot and, well, it seems like "cliche" would be kind.

Nostalgia isn't bad. It is very "cliche" however(you have your traditional fighter, thief, black mage, white mage set up, and one is the last of an ancient line that is the key to everything, etc), so I find it best taken in small doses.

As for the topic, don't forget that the PS3 can play all PS1 games, so you can look into seeing if you can find some of those for cheap. Like Grandia, or Dragon Quest 7, or you can get him a $20 PSN card so he can get Wild ARMs 1 and 2 and Suikoden.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there a remake / any way to play Breath of Fire 4 on the newer consoles?

If so, GET THAT GAME SO FAST.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For the love of God don't get Blue Dragon. Lighthearted story actually means cookie cutter, cliche JRPG story with zero character development. I put maybe 10-20 hours into this game before it drove me nuts.

Lost Odyssey is a good game, but it just can't hold my attention all the way through. I made it almost fully through the second disc before the battle system wore on me. Also, the characters kinda suck.

If you want a great, current JRPG, get Tales of Vesperia.

It held my attention for over 100 hours and I still haven't completed everything that game has to offer. The story is kind of like FFVII in a way, without being as dark. The characters are interesting and actually develop. They are not the same people at the end of the game as they are at the start. The battle system is engaging and there's a lot of room for experimentation with attack combinations.

I can easily say it's my favourite current gen JRPG. That said, no other JRPG this generation has held my attention start to finish, so I may be biased.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It held my attention for over 100 hours and I still haven't completed everything that game has to offer. The story is kind of like FFVII in a way, without being as dark. The characters are interesting and actually develop. They are not the same people at the end of the game as they are at the start. The battle system is engaging and there's a lot of room for experimentation with attack combinations.

I can easily say it's my favourite current gen JRPG. That said, no other JRPG this generation has held my attention start to finish, so I may be biased.

It kind of helps that Yuri is a fairly likeable protagonist as well, unlike a lot of recent mopey and whiney JRPG protags.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mario and Luigi 3 is pretty great, btw.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For the love of God don't get Blue Dragon. Lighthearted story actually means cookie cutter, cliche JRPG story with zero character development. I put maybe 10-20 hours into this game before it drove me nuts.

Lost Odyssey is a good game, but it just can't hold my attention all the way through. I made it almost fully through the second disc before the battle system wore on me. Also, the characters kinda suck.

No offense, but you may as well have just said "I hate old school JRPGs, which you have stipulated that your boss enjoys, but I love these other modern JRPGs."

Nostalgia is a pretty decent choice as far as "new old JRPGs" goes, provided he doesn't already have Dragon Quest 4 or 5 DS (5 being the far better choice in my opinion)

I'm assuming he does only because they are Square-Enix games.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    Tales of Vesperia. (only available on the 360 in NA, at the moment. The PS3 version is supposed to be stuffed to the gills with extra stuff, but alas - no localization yet.)

Apparently someone asked one of the english voice actors about the PS3 port and he said they were going in to record new lines soon. I don't think he knew if it was specifically for the PS3 version but it's a pretty good assumption.

Anyway, assuming he has a PS2 I'd go with Persona 4. While I love a handful of the JRPG's this generation, I'd rate Persona 4 as one of the best JRPG's this decade (if not the best).

If he's thrown his PS2 away though, I don't know. I guess I'd go with one of Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles or Tales of Vesperia. Most of the JRPG's I've played on the DS are from Square Enix, so he's probably already played them and the only one that wasn't was Suikoden Tierkreis, which was pretty mediocre.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This may be cheating a bit, but the Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection on 360 or PS3 includes the Genesis Phantasy Stars, and the original Phantasy Star as an unlockable (I believe). They're undeniably old school, they're still extremely charming (in my opinion), but they are also brutally difficult.

Although I guess old school and brutal difficulty go hand-in-hand, right?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You might want to hook him up with Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. If he has any love whatsoever for Super Mario it'd be a great choice.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the help guys I won't be able to go out till Tuesday but this giangatic list makes me feel confident I will be able to get him something excellent for the price range I can spend.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alright under more research and the recommendations in this thread I went with Persona 4. It came out to be 40$ but I'm in a festive mood and I figure giving a rad gift will make me feel satisfied with the inevitable 15$ for futureshop I get :p.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You've also doomed him to potentially go out and buy every SMT once he gets a taste of P4. It happened to me (was P3 for me), it happens to almost everyone. Hopefully he can deal with radically expensive ps2 games =P

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alright under more research and the recommendations in this thread I went with Persona 4. It came out to be 40$ but I'm in a festive mood and I figure giving a rad gift will make me feel satisfied with the inevitable 15$ for futureshop I get :p.

:^: You did the right thing.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sweet! Probably the best choice you could make. Hope he enjoys it.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Since P4 is one of the best games ever made, good choice

Rent on