Options

1st annual 'Shut Up and Make Us a Goddamn Videogame' BACK FROM THE GOD DANG DEAD

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    LaCabra and I are also working out the details of turning this into a legitimate business, so we are definitely serious about it.
    Hire me as Blowjob giveeehhh, I mean "Secretary"

Bedlam on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    Huh, well, okay. I don't have any three dee editing programs.

You don't really need it if you are just gonna be a texture artist though. The modeler (should) lay out the UV's which you just paint over in photoshop. You have the UV's as a layer on top on a multiplied layer.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kovak wrote: »
    A pvp arena mech game with 2 teams

rotating maps with various objectives

WoW style controls with a leveling and upgrade system for various types of mechs

a sort of re-envisioning of nwn's arena servers

three basic types of mechs

tank types

stealth types

special weapons types that server as the mage/glass cannon archetype

collision detection

individual limbs can be damaged and broken to shut down weapon systems and abilities

Kovak on
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A while ago, I was working with some friends on a game concept. The idea was an action-platformer, that morphs into more of a puzzle platformer, because the main character gradually loses his powers. We had some concept art done, but the project lost steam before we got to the point where we would look for people to help build it.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Huh, well, okay. I don't have any three dee editing programs.

You don't really need it if you are just gonna be a texture artist though. The modeler (should) lay out the UV's which you just paint over in photoshop. You have the UV's as a layer on top on a multiplied layer.

Also:

Google Sketchup Free, easy to use, somewhat limited in terms of features and file types.

Blender 3d Free, powerful, but very complicated to use.

One upside is that Blender can use Collada files exported from Sketchup, and then export them to something game engines can use.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blender is pretty much Maya but free.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    especially with the new release

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Guys I have no talent at programming games at all but I am more than willing to help out and take all the credit for all of your good work (don't give me that shitty stuff) while you toil away.

Blake T on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh! also cool is this.
    UniHuman is not a program. It is a file that opens in the open source 3D modeling software suite Blender 3D. It is a base mesh with a set of morph targets that can be blended to different degrees to make a unique character. The reason a file for a program is used rather then it being a program itself is not only that I don't have the programming prowess to code such software but it was also for speed of development and also for deep integration into Blender, the target application and audience.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Guys I have no talent at programming games at all but I am more than willing to help out and take all the credit for all of your good work (don't give me that shitty stuff) while you toil away.

So, producer then?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

So, producer then?

Is that what Jade Raymond did?

OOOOOH SNAP.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    LaCabra and I are also working out the details of turning this into a legitimate business, so we are definitely serious about it.

I'll sue you!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    is anyone interested in doing arts and modeling for some crazy cartoony mechs

Kovak on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    uh, mech guys?

look up a game called Warworld

YaYa on
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I'm down for this.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    shit I didn't think I'd actually be making a game, or helping to

shit be crazy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    so what i'm thinking is either solo dudes or small 2-3 man teams each making a small simple game, or playable portion thereof

nothing that'll take more than leisure time to finish

we'll start after the holidays and have about a month to finish, at which point we post 'em all, you play 'em and everybody wins

Knob on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Knob who decides teams

maybe we should have a random draw based on people's skills

say, 1 designer, 1 programmer and 1 artist per team

YaYa on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    can we tell someone if their game fucking sucks with no reprisals

only if you actually know what makes a game good

the defender rule

Although really it can be easy to recognize the standout terrible ideas.

Defender on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is a really cool idea, by the way. I hope something neat comes from it.

EDIT: Someone probably said this, but UDK might be something to check out.

Defender on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i can make sprites, that is all

Dadouw on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I had been planning on finally doing something with one of my ideas anyways, now that I've finally quit WoW. The plan had been to go solo and use placeholder graphics until I had something I didn't feel guilty asking for art-help with*.

So I'm in.

*= if there's an artist looking for a project, I'm not averse to the idea. The plan is for a turn-based tactics game, city setting. Time period and antagonists still being determined.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    this shit gonna be radical

Projeck on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Knob, if you're keeping track of who's participating, Shoe, Projeck and I are teaming up to do a 2D project in XNA or Flash.

Ten on
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I had been planning on finally doing something with one of my ideas anyways, now that I've finally quit WoW. The plan had been to go solo and use placeholder graphics until I had something I didn't feel guilty asking for art-help with*.

So I'm in.

*= if there's an artist looking for a project, I'm not averse to the idea. The plan is for a turn-based tactics game, city setting. Time period and antagonists still being determined.

What were you thinking about, graphically? 2D or 3D? Isometric? I could probably toss you some concept art and minor in-game assets (icons, character portraits, that sort of thing), but I haven't worked with 3D or animated sprites in ages.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I can write stuff

does somebody need me to write stuff

somebody make a y freelance vowel game

it should be like typing of the dead

but without the dead

i can write stuff too i guess
    i have this idea for a game where you're a man duck and you have to rape a bunch of lady ducks until they hatch some baby ducks

that's the first level

once you have your own flock, you have to fly south for the winter, while raping any lady ducks you see on the way

once you get south, you can get drunk on duck liquor (liquacker) and dance to mexican music

i guess you can make this game with geese but i dont know if geese commit rape?

maybe they can just crap all over a high school track and then when the custodian tries to shoo them away, they just bullrush him

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    I can write stuff

but without the dead

i have this idea for a game where you're a man duck and you have to rape a bunch of lady ducks until they hatch some baby ducks

that's the first level

once you have your own flock, you have to fly south for the winter, while raping any lady ducks you see on the way

once you get south, you can get drunk on duck liquor (liquacker) and dance to mexican music

that's the worst game idea I ever heard

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    kusu make that fucking retarded game i would play that game fucking retarded

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I can write stuff

but without the dead

that's the first level

that's the worst game idea I ever heard

it's a first person sprite based rape simulator with some first person flight sim stuff too and then it's basically a skin of dance dance revolution

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i have this other idea that's a carnival sim but with like murder and chopping up body parts and putting it in the whack-a-mole machine

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

So I'm in.

What were you thinking about, graphically? 2D or 3D? Isometric? I could probably toss you some concept art and minor in-game assets (icons, character portraits, that sort of thing), but I haven't worked with 3D or animated sprites in ages.

I'm going to be fooling around with Unity over the holidays, trying some of the tutorials. I'd been thinking 3d, with an isometric camera but I don't know if that would be wasted effort, or enough about the engine at this point. Still open to suggestions there, and once I've done the Unity tutorials I'll have a better idea of what the engine will allow (though I know it can do 2d as well, another tutorial I may try).

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i have this other idea that's a carnival sim but with like murder and chopping up body parts and putting it in the whack-a-mole machine

also trapping children to work in the carnival

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    also a monkey knife fight game that is like the wwe/raw games
    you create your own monkey, complete with costume and knife, then work your way up in the circuit
    the game will feature lasting damage--if your monkey fighter loses an eye in a match you ain't gettin that eye back ever. you are stuck with a one-eyed monkey. needless to say, this includes scarring and limps and stuff.

the first level is poaching a monkey

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kusu, I realize at this point that you are trying to be terrible, and you are doing an excellent job.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kusu, I realize at this point that you are trying to be terrible, and you are doing an excellent job.

well it's about time

but dont act like you wouldn't play a monkey knife fight game

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

So I'm in.

I'm going to be fooling around with Unity over the holidays, trying some of the tutorials. I'd been thinking 3d, with an isometric camera but I don't know if that would be wasted effort, or enough about the engine at this point. Still open to suggestions there, and once I've done the Unity tutorials I'll have a better idea of what the engine will allow (though I know it can do 2d as well, another tutorial I may try).

Why Unity when UE3 is free?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

So I'm in.

Unity is free now too!

Ten on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, but the one is a million times better than the other

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

So I'm in.

Honestly? It sounds easier to use, and while UE3 is no doubt a more powerful engine, it feels like it'd be learning to drive in a race car. More than I'll need for the project I'm imagining.

Also, Unity is multiplatform by default, including browser play with a plugin if I wanted.

It is also free.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, but the one is a million times better than the other

Probably! I haven't looked at UE3, but since I'm just looking at Unity and the free version doesn't even have real-time shadows, I assume you are correct.

Ten on